“Chef Nellie at Vivre is the greatest chef ever in Santa Fe” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #288 of 467 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: French
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Chef Nellie at Vivre is the greatest chef ever in Santa Fe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Anyone who has had the pleasure of dining at Tratttoria Nostrani knows where I am coming from. Vivre and chef Nellie the latest restaurant of her choosing served us the greatest meal ever as good as Nostrani because chef nellie is there. Santa fe never had nor ever will have any chef in my not so humble opinion that will serve finer food, more enjoyable wines or a more calm and serene setting. I will miss Vivre and Nostrani terribly. I apologize to myself for not eating there more often, a reminder to live for today for tomorrow may never come. Nellie you will be a superstar anywhere you choose to go and the lucky people who live near you will be the better for it. G-d Bless You are so very talented!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bebop12345
“Expecting So Much More”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We were so looking forward to trying Vivre that perhaps our disappointment stems from expecting too much. The evening started out well with a warm welcome and a seemingly helpful and attentive waiter. We began our meal with a marvelous frisee salad. The dressing was delicious, the greens fresh, the bacon was plentiful and the warm goat cheese marvelous. We also ordered the duck rillette with haricots verts salad. The green beens, small fried onions and candied nuts were marvelous, however, one would think the duck would be the standout on the plate. Instead two lumps of what tasted like stewed meat sat on the plate and were almost flavorless. Except for the bite that evidently salt was poured on. The lumps looked as if someone had picked up the meat and a small bit of cooked carrot and sqoze it in his/her had to form a sort of crescent shape. This was a huge disappointment. My husband ordered the trout, which on this night had been cooked whole in the skin. The meat was moist and perfectly cooked, and it was obviously quite fresh. However, there was absolutley no seasoning on the fish and it was served with a small lemon wedge. The waiter did bring another wedge upon request. I ordered the steak with pomme frittes. While the steak was perfectly cooked and very flavorful, I have to believe someone with a bigger appetite or even someone who had not just shared a salad and an appetizer would have been extremely disappointed by the size, especially considering it is the most expensive thing on the menu. The plate was covered with excellent pommes frites, but I would not advise anyone to eat that many fried potatoes in one sitting. For dessert we shared the creme brulee - a huge disappointment for 2 people who favor that dessert over any other. It was poorly prepared. It had not set properly and the flavors - espresso and hazelnut were overwhelming for what should be a fairly delicate dessert. Sadly, we think that the chef is not preparing food up to her usual standard now that she is closing the restaurant in a month. By the way...the waiter disappeared after the meal and it took some time to get someone's attention so we could out bill. Do yourself a favor - skip Vivre and head to one of the many other wonderful places in town.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
santa fe, New mexico
“Great little French restaurant in Santa Fe.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Charming restauirant with a wonderful chef. Dishes are creative and delicious. Recently changed from Italian to French and is still great. Prices are more reaspnable than before.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boulder, Colorado
“Not Impressed...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were big fans of Trattoria Nostrani (same location before they rebranded themselves) so 4 of us chose Vivre for a birthday celebration to try out the new menu. For starters, our waiter was very impersonal & did not seem to know anything about the food nor wine. He was very robotic during the whole dining experience & never smiled.

For entrees, we ordered the Trout, which came out with charred (black) skin on a bare white plate with a razor thin slice of lemon. It was a very small fish that tasted OK, but honestly, I could have done a better job at home. It looked (and tasted) like it was slapped on a grill that was too hot. I am perfectly capable (and prefer to) de-bone my own fish, but it would have been nice (for the price) if our waiter had at least offered to filet it for me. I guarantee the thought never crossed his mind.

Others ordered the scallops, which were also "OK" - nothing to get excited about. Same with the one beef entree & vegetables. I don't even remember if we ordered dessert. Would have been nice if someone had acknowledged our birthday guest - I mentioned it when I made reservations & to our robotic waiter. Nada....

We live in Santa Fe, eat out frequently & were so disappointed in this dining experience. Not sure if we will return. :(

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe, NM
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

One of the very best meals and dining experiences ever. Service was impeccable; the appetizers. entrées, and deserts memorable - a duck confit to die for; the best steak au poivre in years; a Breton fish stew that was perfect. Kudos to all. We live in Santa Fe, have tried most of our very fine restaurants. Vivre is in a class by itself in our opinion.

• Visited February 2013