“A Great Evening Out” 5 of 5 stars

505-983-7445
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Santa Fe Culinary Academy is founded by two of Santa Fe's foremost food educators. We feature fun and educational community classes. For a complete list of our class schedule and descriptions please visit our website
3 attraction reviews
“A Great Evening Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Three of us celebrated a friend's birthday with a Knife Skills Class. A fairly experienced cook, I still learnt a LOT. I've been noticing the improvement in my food handling whether making ratatouille or grilled cheese sandwiches.

And more that the useful, it was a very fun evening. We ate a wonderful meal, and enjoyed a bottle of wine while shooting the breeze with Chef Rocky. It was a memorable alternative to just having dinner out.

Visited August 2013

North Wales, Pennsylvania
“Fun cooking class featuring fresh local produce”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our group of 4 friends signed up for a community cooking class at the Santa Fe Culinary Academy and had a blast! Chef Rocky met us at the local farmers' market a few blocks away from the Plaza. He told us a little about his background and the philosophy of the Academy and then led us through the market chatting with the vendors and inviting us to try samples along the way. We told him the foods that we were interested in and he began crafting a menu with us on the spot. He purchased the food and then we all walked back to the Academy's site in the heart of town. Chef Rocky demonstrated some techniques and discussed our menu and then we broke up into groups to do the cooking. We didn't have recipes, just the freedom to use our imagination and take advantage of tips from the staff and professional kitchen facilities. There were 10 people in all and we really enjoyed cooking and talking with people from other parts of the country. The 4 hour event culminated with a scrumptious lunch with all the food we had prepared. Fun and delicious - I will definitely try to attend another class next time I am in Santa Fe.

Visited August 2013
Fort Worth, TX
3 attraction reviews
“Great Cooking Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

A cooking class at the Santa Fe Culinary Academy became the highlight of a trip to Santa Fe with five friends in July. Chef Rocky Durham introduced us to Santa Fe's culinary history and oversaw several groups as we prepared delicious traditional Santa Fe food which we had for lunch along with regional wines. The academy in downtown Santa Fe is perfectly set-up for participatory cooking classes with a workspace of two demonstration kitchens and three lab kitchens plus a lovely view from a second floor patio. Chef Durham has an infectious enthusiasm which made the class a fun learning experience and had everyone in our group wanting to return for another class.

Visited July 2013
16 attraction reviews
“Foodies in the know should know about SFCA Pop up dinners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We attended the Santa Fe Culinary Academy's pop up dinner honoring the summer solstice. The Santa Fe Culinary Academy is located at 112 W. San Francisco St. Suite 300, Santa Fe, NM.
Chef Rocky Durham and Chef Tanya Story teamed up for a festive and floral summer dinner party at the Santa Fe Culinary Academy. We were treated to an incredible 4 course meal on their downtown patio.
The 4-course meal was made with the season’s local flowers and paired with local wines.

It was a vegetarian-friendly event. Reservations were required. If you made reservations online before June 18 there was a discount. We made our reservations early to take advantage of the discount. The price was 95 dollars per person and it was worth every cent. Believe me. It was like a mini vacation. We were greeted with a Gruet Rose bubbly to start that was accompanied with gravlax or a mushroom appetizer. We sat community style. We purposely sat at a long table that eventually had 8 people. So we got to know people and tasted great food.

The first course consisted of a tostada of edible flowers with capers, goat cheese and rose hip vinaigrette. The tostada was blue corn and had a flower embedded in it. The goat cheese was surrounded by rose petals. The goat cheese was creamy and tangy. The second course was a dandelion ravioli with garlic chives. The garlic chives were strong and compliments the dandelion. Ok,this is the first time I have ever eaten dandelions. They reminded me of a hearty spinach.

For the third course you had a choice between the Maya beggar's purse of quinoa or the grilled rack of lamb. I chose the Maya beggar's purse since I love quinoa. I especially enjoyed this quinoa because it had carrots and onions. The quinoa was wrapped in a banana leaf which added to the presentation. There was a Mole Negro sauce added some zing and flavor to the quinoa. Plantain chips were on the side. They were crisp and light. There was also a savory marigold panna cotta. It was beautiful and tasted light and delicious. Ok, so many times when I try to forgo meat, I feel like the chef really can't figure out how to create a meal that is worth eating. Chef Rocky and Tanya got it right. I was full. I was really full but not to full to skip dessert. My wife had the grilled rack of lamb. It was perfectly grilled. It looked wonderful. The lamb came with sunflower pesto, new potato croquettes with a prickly pear demi glace. Everyone that had the lamb said how excellently prepared it was. We all joined the clean plate club by finishing as much food as possible.

To end this fabulous feast, we had a squash blossom beignet sundae. What an ending! There was chocolate and vanilla ice cream with a squash blossom biegnet (fried). I was glad to walk back to the car. We also had local wine pairings with each course, like a Gruet Chardonnay, Ponderosa white, and a red wine.(Sorry, I forgot the name, but it was very good).

Visited June 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Incredible place and programs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Wow! This is really an amazing place. I went to a "pop-up lunch" there in May and it was terrific. The lunch was the final project of a week-long class during which the participants created their own concept for a restaurant from the title (Melange) and the menu through to the creation of an incredible meal for the attendees. (This was a class for "amateurs," in the sense of those who are doing something for the love and enjoyment of it, rather than as a profession.)

Apparently they had instruction not only from the Culinary Academy staff, but also from experts in various areas of restaurant management. There was nothing at all amateurish about the menu or the execution of the dishes or the service, which was impeccable. A few of the menu highlights: a duck bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich; roasted elk loin; pan-seared scallop tostada; berry and lemon curd tart; and a lavender ice cream profiterole. All in all, one of the best lunches I've ever had anywhere, all for the grand sum of $20.

They have a very interesting range of class offerings, from single-session classes on specific subjects to week-long "intensives" such as the class that prepared the pop-up lunch to an accredited professional training program. Absolutely worth a visit (or two!), whether you are a Santa Fean or a visitor.

Visited May 2013