“Foodies in the know should know about SFCA Pop up dinners” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 76 activities in Santa Fe
Type: Classes/Workshops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Santa Fe Culinary Academy is founded by two of Santa Fe's foremost food educators. We feature fun and educational community classes. For a complete list of our class schedule and descriptions please visit our website
Santa Fe, New Mexico
14 attraction reviews
“Foodies in the know should know about SFCA Pop up dinners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We attended the Santa Fe Culinary Academy's pop up dinner honoring the summer solstice. The Santa Fe Culinary Academy is located at 112 W. San Francisco St. Suite 300, Santa Fe, NM.
Chef Rocky Durham and Chef Tanya Story teamed up for a festive and floral summer dinner party at the Santa Fe Culinary Academy. We were treated to an incredible 4 course meal on their downtown patio.
The 4-course meal was made with the season’s local flowers and paired with local wines.

It was a vegetarian-friendly event. Reservations were required. If you made reservations online before June 18 there was a discount. We made our reservations early to take advantage of the discount. The price was 95 dollars per person and it was worth every cent. Believe me. It was like a mini vacation. We were greeted with a Gruet Rose bubbly to start that was accompanied with gravlax or a mushroom appetizer. We sat community style. We purposely sat at a long table that eventually had 8 people. So we got to know people and tasted great food.

The first course consisted of a tostada of edible flowers with capers, goat cheese and rose hip vinaigrette. The tostada was blue corn and had a flower embedded in it. The goat cheese was surrounded by rose petals. The goat cheese was creamy and tangy. The second course was a dandelion ravioli with garlic chives. The garlic chives were strong and compliments the dandelion. Ok,this is the first time I have ever eaten dandelions. They reminded me of a hearty spinach.

For the third course you had a choice between the Maya beggar's purse of quinoa or the grilled rack of lamb. I chose the Maya beggar's purse since I love quinoa. I especially enjoyed this quinoa because it had carrots and onions. The quinoa was wrapped in a banana leaf which added to the presentation. There was a Mole Negro sauce added some zing and flavor to the quinoa. Plantain chips were on the side. They were crisp and light. There was also a savory marigold panna cotta. It was beautiful and tasted light and delicious. Ok, so many times when I try to forgo meat, I feel like the chef really can't figure out how to create a meal that is worth eating. Chef Rocky and Tanya got it right. I was full. I was really full but not to full to skip dessert. My wife had the grilled rack of lamb. It was perfectly grilled. It looked wonderful. The lamb came with sunflower pesto, new potato croquettes with a prickly pear demi glace. Everyone that had the lamb said how excellently prepared it was. We all joined the clean plate club by finishing as much food as possible.

To end this fabulous feast, we had a squash blossom beignet sundae. What an ending! There was chocolate and vanilla ice cream with a squash blossom biegnet (fried). I was glad to walk back to the car. We also had local wine pairings with each course, like a Gruet Chardonnay, Ponderosa white, and a red wine.(Sorry, I forgot the name, but it was very good).

Visited June 2013

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Incredible place and programs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Wow! This is really an amazing place. I went to a "pop-up lunch" there in May and it was terrific. The lunch was the final project of a week-long class during which the participants created their own concept for a restaurant from the title (Melange) and the menu through to the creation of an incredible meal for the attendees. (This was a class for "amateurs," in the sense of those who are doing something for the love and enjoyment of it, rather than as a profession.)

Apparently they had instruction not only from the Culinary Academy staff, but also from experts in various areas of restaurant management. There was nothing at all amateurish about the menu or the execution of the dishes or the service, which was impeccable. A few of the menu highlights: a duck bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich; roasted elk loin; pan-seared scallop tostada; berry and lemon curd tart; and a lavender ice cream profiterole. All in all, one of the best lunches I've ever had anywhere, all for the grand sum of $20.

They have a very interesting range of class offerings, from single-session classes on specific subjects to week-long "intensives" such as the class that prepared the pop-up lunch to an accredited professional training program. Absolutely worth a visit (or two!), whether you are a Santa Fean or a visitor.

Visited May 2013
Denver, Colorado
“A great time with friends!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Enjoy an afternoon with Chef Rocky and Chef Tanya immersing yourself in Santa Fe's culinary history. Not only did we learn how to make several regional dishes, Chef also taught us the basics of chopping and several other 'hot' kitchen tips. It's a wonderful way to spend time with your friends.

Visited November 2012
Denver, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
“Amazing Day at SFCA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We celebrated my husband's 50th birthday in Santa Fe over a long weekend and spent a few hours at SFCA with Rocky and Tanya. We had the BEST time! We were a group of 16, and the cooking class was everyone's favorite activity. Rocky and Tanya were funny and really entertaining. We learned quite a bit about the origins of food and history of native foods to New Mexico. We cooked 6 different items and the facilities are beautiful, super clean and have everything any cook could want. It was all hands on learning, Rocky and Tanya were just super instructors. We are having a party and cooking everything we learned about. Of course, they provided us with the recipes. Don't miss any opportunity to take a class at Santa Fe Culinary Academy, you won't regret it!

Visited November 2012