“FIVE SPOONS” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 472 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Hamburgers, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Description: Our cafe is located across the street from the Hampton Inn. Look for "The Lofts" sign, or, just look for a wall of yellow Penske trucks. We're behind that wall!
“FIVE SPOONS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the RV Park behind the restaurant and it was just a short walk to the restaurant. Went here on the advice of the Trip Advisor family and we were not disappointed.
We had the Huevos Ranchero breakfast with blue corn tortillas, fried potatoes, great beans and the superb green chile. It was excellent.
Service was very good too.

Visited October 2013
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Bonkmeister, we're very happy to have earned a top review, especially from a Senior Contributor. We value the opinions of our customers, and it's nice to know that when we have done well. So we thank you very much, for taking the time to review, and to give us a great review at that.

Brookings, Oregon
“A well-known secret in Santa Fe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Chris' Cafe seems to do everything possible to stay under the radar, and fails. It's a tiny joint, tucked back in a mini mall away from the main drag into Santa Fe, which has hundreds of restaurants to divert your attention. If it wasn't already hard enough to spot, the parking lot in front of it is filled with yellow Penske rental trucks. Well, locals have learned to search for those trucks, because they know the food in the restaurant behind them is as authentic as it gets in the Southwest. Family owned and run, Chris' knows what it's about.

That family provides efficient and friendly service. When I asked how hot their green chile sauce was, our waitress, one of the owners, sized me up for a greenhorn and brought me samples of both their red and green sauces. I dipped my little finger into the green sauce and just touched a microscopic amount to the tip of my tongue, which immediately blistered. The waitress said she felt bad because the week earlier a sample had made a woman cry. She explained they've been having trouble controlling the heat because they make their sauce with a combination of medium and hot chiles, but the mediums have been coming in hotter than usual lately. Keep in mind that the mild-mannered old guy at the table next to us was chowing down on a dish swimming in the green sauce, and wasn't even breaking a sweat. If you're a true green chile-head, this is your place, but you still might ask for a sample first. I couldn't even cope with the much milder red sauce, so I opted for their French toast made with challah bread. It was simply excellent. My much braver wife went with the blue corn tacos and posole and found them great too. I tried some of her posole and agreed. If you come to Santa Fe looking for real Southwestern/Mexican food, or even just a good American breakfast, look for those yellow trucks.

• Visited July 2013
Chris V, Manager at Chris' Cafe, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
William L., I definitely have to thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. My family, staff and I work hard to keep the cafe going, and it's nice to know when we've done good, especially in the eyes of a Top Contributor. We strive to achieve top service, both in front, and back of the house, and we don't always nail it, but when we do, it's nice to hear. I felt like I was dining with you when reading your review. And for that, I have to certainly thank you again.
Taos, New Mexico
“Limited menu, but good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Chris's Cafe has enjoyed a meteoric rise to virtually be one of the best restaurants in Santa Fe, according to other reviewers, so I had to have lunch there and give it a try. I had the signature dish, the green chili chicken enchiladas, billed as the best ever by the restaurant. They come with beans and posole or cooked corn, and a few bits of iceberg lettuce and diced tomatoes that I suppose is supposed to represent a salad, smothered with a green chili gravy like sauce. I would have preferred the green chili a little hotter, as it must have been mild as it didn't really have any kick to it. The flavors of everything was fine, and overall it was a good dish. The menu is fairly severely limited and the physical building of an older strip mall couldn't provide the setting that restaurants in the historical district do. Nevertheless, service was friendly, the food was prepared quickly, and was reasonably priced. So deserves a better than average rating.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you, John S., for taking time to review us. We are grateful for all responses, because they help us only get better. My staff and I have enjoyed some really glowing reviews, and we're proud of the reviews we get, because we work hard, and its hard work to keep it up. Again, thank you for taking the time to review us.
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
“Delicious Huevos Rancheros”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I live in the Santa Fe area, so I eat a lot of Mexican food...some good and a lot that's not so good. I had the very best Huevos Rancheros with green chile that I've ever eaten!!!! The green chile was excellent, hot but not too hot. The beans and potatoes had wonderful flavor. I'm very particular about how my eggs are cooked and they were perfect. A wonderful meal that was pretty to look at and oh so tasty!!

The staff was friendly and the small restaurant was spotlessly clean. The owner has developed recipes using only the freshest ingredients and tries to keep everything all natural.

This will be our new "must go to" place in Santa Fe.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Lynda C, thank you for taking the time to give us a wonderful, glowing review. Huevos Rancheros is one of those dishes, as simple as it is, that I use to determine if I like a restaurant or not. So, this review means more to me than you know. Thank you so much. I really look forward to your next visit, and when you're here, please say hello.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Perfect New Mexico Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This meal exemplified everything that we love about New Mexico's food culture! My "huevos verdes con jamon" (get it?) was smothered in their fabulous green chile sauce and that wonderful gooey white cheese. Even my daughter's "ham and cheese omelet" had that amazing cheese, and my husband couldn't say enough about their signature dish, their green chile enchiladas: yes, he ate them for breakfast! The servers, all family apparently, couldn't have been friendlier or more efficient, cheerfully answering our questions and our stomachs! We even brought extra green chile sauce home with us to enjoy later. We would highly recommend Chris' to anyone visiting Santa Fe!

• Visited August 2013
Chris V, Owner at Chris' Cafe, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Schonstl, I have to say-Thank You-, so much, for such a wonderful review. I am extremely happy that your experience here was a good one. The entire staff was elated when I read them your review. I know, and they know, the hard work necessary, to keep standards high, and when a customer takes times from their lives to let others know that too, well, I am extremely honored. Thank you so much, and we hope you visit us again sometime in your travels.