“Special Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Texas
“Special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

I cannot tell you enough how much I love this place. It is a quant little bed and breakfast which feels more like a home away from home. We stayed in one of the deluxe suites named Citrine. It had a Bose wave player in it with music already on when we walked in. All the food in the fridge is yours to eat whenever you like, there is no extra charge it is included. They give you crossword puzzles at night and fresh cookies. The absolute best part was the divine breakfast. I ate a "Christmas" burrito, with half red and half green sauce, every morning for breakfast much to the dismay of my jeans. The staff was SO accommodating. They addressed us by our names and went above and beyond to help us find restaurants and information on things we wanted to do. They sent us on a trip to Tao going on the high road and coming back on the low road. That was one of the most beautiful drives I have been on. We were rented a convertible which is a must if the weather is nice. Oh and by the way the Inn is gorgeous!

I looked in at other hotels while I was in town just to see what else there was in town and no where even came close to comparing to this Inn. I am not one to go back over and over to a hotel unless it a close destination -- I like to try new places-- but I cant imagine going anywhere else in Santa Fe.

They also have their own restaurant called Pink Adobe -- the food is amazing there.

Eat at:
Pink Adobe
Pasquals
The Shed

Must See:
Galleries at Canyon Road
The Square-- had Häagen-Dazs on more than one occasion
Taos

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

My friend and I just returnrd from a week in Sante Fe and Taos. This was for both of us the first time in New Mexico. After a lot of research and thought,decided to stay here for a total of 5 nights and I could not have made a better choice
1. The Inn which is comprised of many buildings surrounding a courtyard is on a small street right in the center of Historic Sante Fe
2. The rooms are spectacular. When they say East meets West, the do, the rooms are Superb, yes you pay for it but it is vacation.
3. On our return from Taos we were upgraded to a Suite-WOW, large sitting area, bedroom and the Bathroom is amazing w/colors from all the tiles. Our initial room also was great but book the Suite, for a bit more it is worth it
4. Thanks to the staff from Steve and Joe ( Concierege ) who went out of their way to make us comfortable, to Jim the gentleman who served breakfast, and Cindy who helped w/concierege and Judith also in Concierge, you made us feel at home....Thus, please read my review of the Hotel Eden, Rome;on our way back from Taos to Sante Fe I stated it's good to be going home by accident (!)

This is a B and B but of the highest quality. We will be back

• Liked — Hard to pinpoint one thing, the overall experience
  • Disliked — From the suite we were in on our last 2 nights you can hear the garbage trucks early am, for me no big deal fell right back to sleep
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

I selected this hotel from a combination of reading Trip Advisor and various travel books.
In all we loved the hotel. It is one of the best boutique hotels we have stayed at.
The first night, we were late due to airline challenges. The hotel called ahead to our restaurant and confirmed that the restaurant would stay open for us. Santa Fe is not a late night town and places tend to close down early.
By the time we got back to the hotel, they had moved my car and parked it and taken our luggage to the room. He walked us through the room and explained that all drinks and snacks were included in the room fee. The fire place was set to be used, and showed us the rest of the amenities: DVD, double sinks, separate shower, tub, chips and salsa, cookies as part of the turndown service, dream catcher by the bed, etc.
I read one complaint about the street noises early in the morning. I did hear a little, but it turned out to be someone getting in and out of their car and our window was slightly open. Once closed, there were little noises. One must also remember, you are downtown and most hotels you do hear downtown noises.
Breakfast is included and it was quite a variety: large bowl of fruit, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. all as a sit down meal. The orange juice tasted fresh squeezed.
The service was excellent. Anthony, who helps run the hotel, came by during breakfast and introduced himself. We pointed out there was no hairdryer. A new one was in our room very quickly thereafter. He had maps and directions printed out for us for the places we asked about.
On Mon., Wed., and Fri. evenings (5:30), they had a wine and cheese in the Pink Adobe. Jennifer, the general manager was there to great us and take care of us personally. We thoroughly enjoyed talking with her. As there are many art galleries, she is a wealth of information. She used to work for Soetheby's. She advised us on purchasing art and questions to ask when in a gallery.
The only small glitch was when I attempted to start the "romantic fire" in the fireplace. I had the logs a little to far forward for the flew to work. Our room had some smoke and started the alarm! Joe from the front desk, however, was over quickly to confirm things were OK. Romantic comedy was more the description. Still they addressed the issue.
The bathroom we were in, Jasmine room, was spectacular. Great tile work throughout the whole room. Quite a special room.

• Liked — Details to the room, all snacks included
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

The previous review is pretty comprehensive, but I feel compelled to dispute the four stars. This is a truly wonderful, one of a kind hotel. My wife and I went here last weekend for our 20th wedding anniversary, and it has everything you would want in a small, intimate hotel. Of course, there are going to be little quirks here and there, but unless you want to stay in a high rise Hilton, you may have to deal with some street noise. (Other than a couple of minutes of garbage cans, which you don't hear on the weekend, the place is completely quiet the rest of the time.)

We stayed in room #16, which has an amazing bathroom. The room next door (#17) also looked very nice. Both are up a flight of stairs and overlook the courtyard. I thought our room was very spacious, with more than enough space for two people--large bathroom, kitchenette and living area. Since it was our anniversary, the staff gave us an enormous cheese plate that lasted three days. And the restaurant recommendations we got from the general manager were excellent.

The price is steep, but hotel prices in Santa Fe in general are very high. I looked very carefully at many options before settling on the Inn of the Five Graces. It was a lovely and romantic experience.

• Liked — the ambience and the amazing rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

Let me say right at the start that is an excellent hotel which I loved but is let down in one key respect - more on this anon.

The hotel is based a 10 minute walk south of the plaza on a small side road which is one way only. I was surprised just how small this road is for a city centre hotel in the US and it gets very little traffic. Parking is either in 5 or so places on the street or in a small private parking lot next to the hotel. Staff will help with this.

The main part of the hotel (reception, breakfast room etc) is on the south side of the street. Most of the rooms are in adjacent buildings on that side of the street which backs onto the car park for the Capitol buildings. Some other rooms are on the North side of the street and seemed quite close to the sidewalk.

From what I could tell the rooms are all very different so I would urge anyone booking to take advice from reception on needs and requirements before making a reservation. We booked a premium suite. For this we got a small seating area with lounging and dining chairs, a TV and a table and kitchenette; a small bedroom with a supremely comfortable king sized bed; and an enormous bathroom. The bathroom had a huge tub, big shower, double basins and WC and also had underfloor heating. Loads of towels and hot water.

The decoration was absolutely fabulous with a unique blend of Eastern and local influences. The tiling in the bathroom has to be seen to be believed. All done with exquisite taste. If I'm quibbling the rooms areas (other than the bathroom) are not huge, they are a bit dark as the windows are small, the storage drawers were a bit off their runners so awkward to open and close. Also maintenance could do with replacing a couple of blown lightbulbs. Overall though we could not have been happier with this aspect.

Check in was quick and efficient and we had plenty of good humoured help getting our large number of bags from our car to our room; likewise with check out. Housekeeping was first class and invisible. It just happened and could not be faulted. The room was kept immaculate

Breakfast could be taken on the patio or in the dining room. Coffee and juices were good. There was a menu of 6 or 7 entrees plus fruit, oatmeal etc. These were all prepared to a high standard and the selections were interesting eg breakfast burritos, heuvos racheros. This is included in the room rate.

All the staff we were met were cheerful and efficient and helped as needed. We also had good help before we arrived with restaurant bookings.

At nights the hotel is lit up with subtle lighting which enhanced the beauty of the place.

It is very expensive ($600 per night) and the service charge certainly added to this. We were a bit disappointed with this. Yes there is no need to worry about tipping which helps and there is a good selection of free soft drinks in the in room fridge. But we expected a bit more Eg free margueritas - I thought I read about these in earlier reviews: anyway there aren't any which may or may not be due to a (newish?) state law prohibiting sale of alcohol in rooms. Also the much trumpeted chips and relish only appeared on our first day and consisted of a small bowl of blue corn chips and a couple of small dishes of dipping relish. Disappointing.

So why not 5 stars? Well some of the above points but principally something that is sadly out of the control of the hotel. If you, like us, are in certain rooms overlooking the aforementioned car park, don't bet on sleeping past 7.00am. Every morning at that time a trash cart arrived in the car park to empty the bins. This consisted of a good 3-4 minutes of deafening banging, resounding thuds and pneumatic wheezing from the truck very close to the rooms. Additionally on some mornings there are delivery trucks - one morning this was at 6.00am - who leave their engines running for 10 minutes or so. We sleep with the windows open but even if they had been shut the windows are only single glazed so would not offer much noise insulation and you can feel the thuds. On the plus side it gets you out of bed for the day but it would be nice to have the choice. And at this price these things matter.

Across the courtyard is the Pink Adobe restaurant now owned by the hotel. We ate there once and it was fine but not exceptional.

• Stayed September 2008
AUS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

I stayed at the Inn of the Five Graces for a month in April while I was in Sante Fe for a photography course. Feeling at home is very important to me. This facility is wonderful but more importantly the people are incredibly friendly. The general manager Jennifer set an amazing example for the staff and everyone made me feel as though I was at a home away from home. The food is great, the facility excellent, the accommodations rustic and beautiful.

Stayed April 2008
Teaneck, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

Just returned from 4-5 day trip to area; to celebrate time away with husband! First time to Santa Fe ever and I am seasoned traveler. Loved loved loved this Inn. Place is spectatcular--each room uniquely appointed, surrounding quaint and comfortable courtyard. Have never had such an attentive staff--as if there was a personal concierge following you --to make dinner plans, suggest activities, recommend shops, lend blankets for chilly opera, park your car, etc. They are there without being at all intrusive. Jennifer the manager is amazing. Breakfast and endless (and free) snacks and beverages are perfect. Crowd seems to all be very happily married (and gay) couples who were in very long term rtelaionships, there to enjoy scenery, outdoors, art, music, and food. Perfect adult playground. Very happy and beautiful hotel. recommend it highly. Like a Ritz Carlton with only 25 rooms and the best staff on earth.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Inn of the Five Graces? Share your experiences!