“Absolutely the Best!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Santa Cruz, California
“Absolutely the Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

So much has been written by others about this spectacular property, and it proved true. It is exquisite. Let me share the more practical aspects of these rooms. Our family stayed in two downstairs suites in the historic stone building, the Tourmaline and the Amber. These are huge suites with multiple rooms allowing great spaces and hallways. It was sunny our first day, then snow for the next two. The heating, at least in the stone building, is absolutely first-rate; forced air with plenty of floor vents and individual thermostat. It was so quiet you could barely hear when the heat came on. The watter pressure was great and the rainshower in Amber a real treat. Also abundant are doors - very ornate doors, not only in the bathrrom but also in the living room, bedroom, and even the kitchen in Tourmaline. The back doors to the patio area made it very convenient to travel between the two rooms, as they are located next to each other. The first day, we had breakfast delivered to our patio and enjoyed the sun, even at 8:00 am. The other two days it was raining or snowing, so we enjoyed breakfast in the huge breakfast nook in Tourmaline, which can easily seat six. One of our most enjoyable moments at the Inn was calling the front desk on the speaker phone, announcing our names and what we wanted to order, and having it appear in about 15 minutes! One day one of us forgot to order bacon until 9:57 and, even though it was so late for the breakfast times, it still appeared in a matter of minutes..protected from the snow, no less. We encountered a problem with the credit card at checkout (neither the Inn nor our fault) and even that was handled in a discrete manner with a satisfactory solution. There can be no other place like this. We will be back in a heartbeat [if we ever win the lottery!]
With much respect from Cherilee and sons

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Garden City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Santa Fe: Blue corn tortillas at The Shed, the Loretto chapel with its miraculous staircase. The plaza, chocolate made somewhere in heaven, art galleries, sculpture, the opera. And shopping! The colors are brighter, the air is headier. Santa Fe, like only a few other places on earth, touches you. And a small cluster of buildings in one of its oldest neighborhoods has captured the spirit of Santa Fe more perfectly than anywhere I know. The rooms are wonderful. The staff could not have been better had I hand-picked them myself. And thats just the beginning.

You see, the problem is that I simply have too much to say about this little gem of a hotel, while at the same time finding no words in my English major's vocabulary which truly do it justice. Everything you love about Santa Fe you will love even more when you check in here. It's that special.

The Five Graces is not a cheap hotel. It is small, exclusive, and the only one of its kind in the world. If you go in the winter though, you can find good offers. Come see it. You'll never imagine how wonderful it is until you do. And while you're there you'll probably meet Joshua, a young force of nature filled with enthusiasm about what he does and the people he meets; make sure to say hello for me. I miss him.

• Stayed February 2013
Niceville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wow! I know this place is the #1 Inn for Santa Fe but it still exceeded my expectations. Yes, it does cost a bit more, but how can you put a price on feeding your soul? Seriously, from the moment we checked in and were greeted personally by name to the moment we wistfully drove away, the entire experience was heavenly. The staff bend over backwards to make you feel like royalty with every single interaction. The rooms are decorated with such artistic flair, I enjoyed the walls and artisanal touches more than the art museum we visited in the square. This is not just a place to sleep, it is a virtual massage for the senses. These people think of everything. I even received a complimentary rose on my first morning there. And speaking of complimentary, everything in their fully stocked refrigerator is free. Once you check in, the effort is to enhance the value instead of nickel and dime-ing you like some other places. I could go on about all the little touches that made this place one of my top 3 favorite inns of all times, but suffice it to say I don't believe you will be disappointed by any aspect of your stay other than sporadic wifi in the rooms. But here's the thing, if you are in heaven aka your room at the Five Graces, would you be willing to sacrifice a single moment to the Internet?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cortez, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We so enjoyed our Thanksgiving stay at The Inn. First off, the staff make you feel that you are the only people there and you are royalty. The beds are just glorious! First rate kitchen and stocked fridge. We looked forward to sumptuous breakfasts. 315 Restaurant is just across the street and is wonderful. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Angelo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My mother, daughter, and I stayed here the nights of February 27th and 28th. We had originally booked the Tourmaline, but when we arrived, they had upgraded us to the Amber (a two bedroom suite as opposed to the king bed with a pull out couch we were expecting). From that moment on, our stay was simply heaven on earth. Although we were a little early, they had no problem checking us in and showing us around. Sarah was so welcoming, I swear we felt like family!

The room was simply breathtaking. I'm going to post a ton of pictures so you'll see the amazing work the Serets have put into this place. The beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept on (and I actually slept, which I find difficult to do during travels sometimes). The tub in the bathroom was so deep and soothing, I honestly never wanted to get out. You'll be amazed at the mosaic tile work in the bathrooms. It's like living in an art museum! Pay special attention to the stunning textiles and furniture. We couldn't leave Santa Fe without visiting Seret & Sons store just a couple blocks away to purchase a few items to bring a little bit of the inn home with us.

Now I have to tell you about the brilliant extras. We especially appreciated the little fridge filled with drinks and snacks that were included in the price of the room. Seriously. We've traveled quite a lot, and most places do their best to wring you of every dollar you have, but not here! A bowl of blue corn chips and dish of green chili salsa welcomed us to the room. Later, we came back to the room after the turn down service to find a plate of gorgeous oatmeal cookies. We had the same treatment the next day as well, fruit in the morning, and cookies in the evening. Oh! I almost forgot the breakfasts! You could order one of everything on the menu (don't do that though, it's obnoxious) because it's all included in the stay, but anything you order will be divine. I was quite taken with the french toast with strawberry butter, but my daughter was over the moon with the made to order omelette that she said was the best she'd ever had. Also, gratuities are included in the price of the room. They actually told us at the front desk that they do not accept tips. That was hard to get used to, but a nice change.

Overall, we fell head over heels in love with both Santa Fe and the Inn of the Five Graces during this trip. We are already planning our next stay! This is not just a place to stay during a trip, this is an experience most people will be thrilled with. Yes, it might seem expensive, but considering all that you get for the price of the room, it's worth every single penny!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Angelo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

If the rooms weren't the most beautiful ever it would still be a great place to stay because of the staff. I must have called them 10 times the first night with questions, requests etc. and they were just as cheerful the last time as they were on the first call. Therefore, I have a special place in my heart for Sarah, Joshua and Chris. The rest of the staff were super as well, but I'm sure I will never forget Sarah, Joshua and Chris for all their attention to detail and kindness. Now about the room...no words can describe the colors and textures that you will experience when you first walk into your room. In fact, the best I can do is the most explosive fireworks event you have ever been to and then some. You simply have to see and feel for yourself. In saying all the above I haven't mentioned the fact that we were upgraded to the Amber suite when we had originally booked the Tourmaline room, with no additional cost to us. We didn't want to leave our room, ever, and the rest of the trip was spent talking about when we can go back.

Room Tip: Let the staff guide you to choose a room, I'm sure you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We got married in Sante Fe and stayed at the Inn. The room was great, and the breakfast was amazing, but there were a few too many issues that arose for a Relaix & Chateau that gets so many great reviews...
I called prior to arrival, and ordered a flower arrangement to be in the room upon arrival. When we arrived, the flowers were there, but the card on the flowers said they were from "Janet and Eric". We didn't know any Janet and Erics, and I ordered the flowers! Turns out, they mixed this up, as our friends Jana and Aaron had ordered a bottle of wine for the room - which we never received (and for which they were charged.) They called and got a refund; but they didn't forget to charge me for the flowers.
The second issue, which granted, can happen anywhere at any time, is that a $100 bill was stolen out of my wife's wallet by someone on the staff. The way the front desk handled this was the worst as they questioned us up and down. We stay at all sorts of hotels, and we don't carry around $100 bills often - there was no question that it was stolen. Not something I'd think we'd have to worry about at the Inn of the Five Graces.
Finally, on our wedding night, about 40 minutes after we got back to our room...a knock at the door! Inconvenient?? They were delivering chocolate covered strawberries (nice touch, bad timing!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
s_seret, General Manager at Inn of the Five Graces, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
I would like to sincerely apologize that your experience at our hotel had not been perfect and for missing the details that are important to making a stay with us, truly great. During your stay, there were some mistakes and we unfortunately did mix up the flowers and wine. Unfortunately, last August we were in the midst of a transition within our concierge staff and in your case, the service had been affected. This is not representative of our service and a rare instance when we fell below our expectations. We attempt to make every stay not only perfect, but also very special.
Even though your stay was over six months ago, I remember it quite well. There were several other special requests that weren’t missed and I myself accommodated a request from your family to arrange and pick up a gift off-site with very limited time and preparation. One of our employees had also officiated your wedding on his day off at another site and had helped to arrange and submit your paperwork with the county clerk. Nonetheless, there were those missed details that were a fault on our part.
As to not give the wrong impression to other TripAdvisor readers, I would like to address what you have said about one of our staff having taken money from your room. I could understand your frustration in feeling that something had been taken from you and then to have an employee ask how or when it may have happened. After you and I talked, I took the time to fully understand the situation and what may have been the situation. The employee you talked with was the same employee that officiated your wedding. He explained that he felt comfortable discussing it with you and at the time you weren’t sure if it happened here, if it at the restaurant or you gave out the wrong amount when paying for the check. He also explained that you were carrying multiples and it was only one that you were missing. You had discussed this with the employee in the evening and before he contacted management, he wanted to fully understand the situation. Please understand, this has never happened before and it was only our intention to understand and figure out how or if it would have happened at our property. After your departure, we went through schedules and recounts of service in your room and have very reasonable doubt that it was any of our staff that had been responsible for removing it.
We pride ourselves with our staff, which are truly more like family. Most members have been with the property for several years and some of our housekeeping staff have been with the property for over 12 years. As many others have stated in their reviews, each of our employees care about the experience of our guests. It is a very unfortunate situation and we feel awful that your experience had been affected by the loss.
Upon your departure, we spent a moment together and I could understand how you felt, especially on such a special trip. After sharing some time and working out some of the issues, you had stated how the rest of the stay had been great, and even told the employee who officiated the wedding that you would be back in a year. From all of us at the Inn, we would like to again apologize for your experience. I hope you will reconsider and choose to stay with us if you return to Santa Fe. We take every guests recount to heart and by listening to what each guest has to say, we have been able to build on our experience. I honestly believe your experience is not the experience we have created and if given the opportunity, I believe your next stay would reveal something different, and something very special.

Been to Inn of the Five Graces? Share your experiences!