“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
San Angelo, Texas
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My mother, daughter, and I stayed here the nights of February 27th and 28th. We had originally booked the Tourmaline, but when we arrived, they had upgraded us to the Amber (a two bedroom suite as opposed to the king bed with a pull out couch we were expecting). From that moment on, our stay was simply heaven on earth. Although we were a little early, they had no problem checking us in and showing us around. Sarah was so welcoming, I swear we felt like family!

The room was simply breathtaking. I'm going to post a ton of pictures so you'll see the amazing work the Serets have put into this place. The beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept on (and I actually slept, which I find difficult to do during travels sometimes). The tub in the bathroom was so deep and soothing, I honestly never wanted to get out. You'll be amazed at the mosaic tile work in the bathrooms. It's like living in an art museum! Pay special attention to the stunning textiles and furniture. We couldn't leave Santa Fe without visiting Seret & Sons store just a couple blocks away to purchase a few items to bring a little bit of the inn home with us.

Now I have to tell you about the brilliant extras. We especially appreciated the little fridge filled with drinks and snacks that were included in the price of the room. Seriously. We've traveled quite a lot, and most places do their best to wring you of every dollar you have, but not here! A bowl of blue corn chips and dish of green chili salsa welcomed us to the room. Later, we came back to the room after the turn down service to find a plate of gorgeous oatmeal cookies. We had the same treatment the next day as well, fruit in the morning, and cookies in the evening. Oh! I almost forgot the breakfasts! You could order one of everything on the menu (don't do that though, it's obnoxious) because it's all included in the stay, but anything you order will be divine. I was quite taken with the french toast with strawberry butter, but my daughter was over the moon with the made to order omelette that she said was the best she'd ever had. Also, gratuities are included in the price of the room. They actually told us at the front desk that they do not accept tips. That was hard to get used to, but a nice change.

Overall, we fell head over heels in love with both Santa Fe and the Inn of the Five Graces during this trip. We are already planning our next stay! This is not just a place to stay during a trip, this is an experience most people will be thrilled with. Yes, it might seem expensive, but considering all that you get for the price of the room, it's worth every single penny!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Lebanon, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

If the rooms weren't the most beautiful ever it would still be a great place to stay because of the staff. I must have called them 10 times the first night with questions, requests etc. and they were just as cheerful the last time as they were on the first call. Therefore, I have a special place in my heart for Sarah, Joshua and Chris. The rest of the staff were super as well, but I'm sure I will never forget Sarah, Joshua and Chris for all their attention to detail and kindness. Now about the room...no words can describe the colors and textures that you will experience when you first walk into your room. In fact, the best I can do is the most explosive fireworks event you have ever been to and then some. You simply have to see and feel for yourself. In saying all the above I haven't mentioned the fact that we were upgraded to the Amber suite when we had originally booked the Tourmaline room, with no additional cost to us. We didn't want to leave our room, ever, and the rest of the trip was spent talking about when we can go back.

Room Tip: Let the staff guide you to choose a room, I'm sure you can't go wrong.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We got married in Sante Fe and stayed at the Inn. The room was great, and the breakfast was amazing, but there were a few too many issues that arose for a Relaix & Chateau that gets so many great reviews...
I called prior to arrival, and ordered a flower arrangement to be in the room upon arrival. When we arrived, the flowers were there, but the card on the flowers said they were from "Janet and Eric". We didn't know any Janet and Erics, and I ordered the flowers! Turns out, they mixed this up, as our friends Jana and Aaron had ordered a bottle of wine for the room - which we never received (and for which they were charged.) They called and got a refund; but they didn't forget to charge me for the flowers.
The second issue, which granted, can happen anywhere at any time, is that a $100 bill was stolen out of my wife's wallet by someone on the staff. The way the front desk handled this was the worst as they questioned us up and down. We stay at all sorts of hotels, and we don't carry around $100 bills often - there was no question that it was stolen. Not something I'd think we'd have to worry about at the Inn of the Five Graces.
Finally, on our wedding night, about 40 minutes after we got back to our room...a knock at the door! Inconvenient?? They were delivering chocolate covered strawberries (nice touch, bad timing!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
s_seret, General Manager at Inn of the Five Graces, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
I would like to sincerely apologize that your experience at our hotel had not been perfect and for missing the details that are important to making a stay with us, truly great. During your stay, there were some mistakes and we unfortunately did mix up the flowers and wine. Unfortunately, last August we were in the midst of a transition within our concierge staff and in your case, the service had been affected. This is not representative of our service and a rare instance when we fell below our expectations. We attempt to make every stay not only perfect, but also very special.
Even though your stay was over six months ago, I remember it quite well. There were several other special requests that weren’t missed and I myself accommodated a request from your family to arrange and pick up a gift off-site with very limited time and preparation. One of our employees had also officiated your wedding on his day off at another site and had helped to arrange and submit your paperwork with the county clerk. Nonetheless, there were those missed details that were a fault on our part.
As to not give the wrong impression to other TripAdvisor readers, I would like to address what you have said about one of our staff having taken money from your room. I could understand your frustration in feeling that something had been taken from you and then to have an employee ask how or when it may have happened. After you and I talked, I took the time to fully understand the situation and what may have been the situation. The employee you talked with was the same employee that officiated your wedding. He explained that he felt comfortable discussing it with you and at the time you weren’t sure if it happened here, if it at the restaurant or you gave out the wrong amount when paying for the check. He also explained that you were carrying multiples and it was only one that you were missing. You had discussed this with the employee in the evening and before he contacted management, he wanted to fully understand the situation. Please understand, this has never happened before and it was only our intention to understand and figure out how or if it would have happened at our property. After your departure, we went through schedules and recounts of service in your room and have very reasonable doubt that it was any of our staff that had been responsible for removing it.
We pride ourselves with our staff, which are truly more like family. Most members have been with the property for several years and some of our housekeeping staff have been with the property for over 12 years. As many others have stated in their reviews, each of our employees care about the experience of our guests. It is a very unfortunate situation and we feel awful that your experience had been affected by the loss.
Upon your departure, we spent a moment together and I could understand how you felt, especially on such a special trip. After sharing some time and working out some of the issues, you had stated how the rest of the stay had been great, and even told the employee who officiated the wedding that you would be back in a year. From all of us at the Inn, we would like to again apologize for your experience. I hope you will reconsider and choose to stay with us if you return to Santa Fe. We take every guests recount to heart and by listening to what each guest has to say, we have been able to build on our experience. I honestly believe your experience is not the experience we have created and if given the opportunity, I believe your next stay would reveal something different, and something very special.
Taveuni Island, Fiji
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Exceptional!
In all of my years of travel, this is the 1st time I have ever prefered to stay in the room. It was too wonderful! The chairs & sofas were difficult to pry yourself out of, the fabrics were luxurious, the newly redone mosaic bathrooms were pieces of art.
Then there is the staff. They did not have the word "no" in their vocabulary.One night Joshua showed up at the door with strawberries dipped in dark chocolate. Why? because the staff obviously love to please & are there to make your visit the best.
Do yourself a favor. Skip the other choices in Santa Fe. Book here. It will change your definition of a great Inn.
sincerely, Ronna

Room Tip: It's all good
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

After 5 stays here, it's finally time to say why I keep coming back. Facilities are part of a great hotel experience. At Five Graces, you get local, quirky architecture, combined with lavish tilework, indulgent linens and REAL wood burning fireplaces. I've stayed in 5 different rooms, evey one unique, and exquisite. The only real challenge is choosing which of the rooms to book, as they are all so different. Trust me-- you can't go wrong with any of them.

Breakfast, free, is locally inspired and beautifully prepared. They will make nearly anything you request. The in-room mini bar is free as well, and each night you return to some yummy homemade treat.

But a hotel with great facilities is just a building-- what gives it "soul" are the people who keep it going. I don't know how they do it, but the staff at Five Graces is the most consistently charming, caring, friendly team I've met in a hotel setting. Always smiling, always genuinely interested in the guest and his/her comfort, and always there with a suggestion or pep talk or self-deprecating joke. I feel like they love introducing newcomers to their town, and they love being in the environment of the Five Graces. If you're like us, you'll be sorry to leave this hotel, and you'll be eager to plan your return.

Forrest and Sharif, David and Chris, Kandace, Joshua, Rebecca and Sarah, these are the people who bring all the grace to Five Graces. Keep it up!!

Room Tip: trust their recommendations-- I described what I was looking for, and each time they came up with a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you love the tiles, textiles and woodwork of the East and nomadic decor, and are looking for a genuinely peaceful and effortless hotel experience, this is it.
Located on a quiet side street near the Capital, the Five Graces is an exceptional hotel experience precisely because it doesn't feel like a hotel. It's in effect an artsy suite-and-breakfast, with service that is exuberant and eager to please without being intrusive.
It's difficult to find at first (our GPS led us into the Capital's parking lot), but a great location---on an intimate lane and an easy walk to downtown shopping and museums.
Only thing preventing this from being over-the-top review was a few blips in our stay. First, the internet was virtually non-existent til we reported it, and their tech people promptly checked but then left message that in fact it was working fine, and offered to "check our computer" settings---disappointing. But then an hour later the hotel updated its hotel-wide internet password and miraculously the internet worked fine. Their concierge staff was not consistently informed on local attractions and restaurants, for example; this may be due to the predominant youth of their staff. The suite was a bit drafty, probably due to type of construction in region. Noted too that not consistent restock of coffee/tea station in lobby.
Breakfast was good and in a lovely setting overlooking courtyard, and plentiful snacks and non-alcoholic drinks in room, fresh fruit or cookies delivered daily to room, and good turndown service---every conceivable convenience is thought of.
And absolutely every single request was taken very seriously and very promptly addressed with generally excellent results, so the service could not have been better. The promptness of even the valet parking was terrific.
I would definitely return--- though hotel is somewhat pricey, it includes all fees for parking, all gratuities, in-room snacks and drinks, and the most exuberant service we've ever encountered!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Five Graces is an absolutely wonderful hotel and maybe the most romantic and artistically designed hotel in the world. The staff is gracious, especially the managers, Sharif, Forest and Brian who are always available when you need them and their staff is friendly and quick to assist with anything you need. The level of detail in the rooms is amazing! You can spend hours just looking around at the tile work, woodwork, art and tapestry's. We've never seen anything like it in a hotel. The location is also maybe the best in Santa Fe being downtown but on a quiet side street.

You must stay at the Five Graces in order to understand. It truly is one of the most amazing hotels we've ever seen.. and we travel a lot.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple