“Over the Top...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Chicago
“Over the Top...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

You are reading this because you've found the highest-rated hotel in Santa Fe here on TA and now you want to know why. Short answer: I doubt you will ever have better service anywhere at any price. Want more? Read on.
My wife and I invited a very good friend of ours to join us for 3 nights in Santa Fe. She's just gotten over three months of post-operative recovery and desperately needed a getaway. Our friend has not traveled much and we knew she'd love New Mexico as we do and felt a splurge was in order. We needed a two-bedroom configuration and chose to stay downtown where we'd be within walking distance of the shops and terrific restaurants. After scouring the Tripadvisor reviews, the Inn of the Five Graces obviously was at the top of our list. I checked out their website and decided to book the Rosemary Suite, about 3 months in advance. They had a nice price break going so we jumped at the opportunity to stay at this property.
Vacation time finally rolled around and we found ourself driving from Sunport to downtown Santa Fe on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Don't expect a big sign announcing you've arrived at this property. Instead, the Inn just kind of appears on both sides of a narrow one-way street... so make sure you're looking for it or you might drive right on by. Once we pulled up to the curb, my wife hopped out of the rental car to start the check-in process. Almost as if they were waiting for us to arrive, no less than 3 staff members were outside helping us with our bags, and welcoming us as if we were family that they'd been expecting for hours.
All of the rooms/suites are scattered around gorgeous courtyards that I'm sure would have been more busy in warmer weather. Our suite was upstairs, and when they opened the door to let us inside, I felt almost like Dorothy walking into that technicolor land of Oz. I thought I knew what to expect based on the photos from the Inn's website... but trust me... nothing can prepare you for the incredible combination of tile work, tapestry and furnishings that will bewilder you. "This piece of fabric takes Uzbekistan artisans a year to make." "This armoire comes from reclaimed wood from 15th century India." You know. Stuff like that.
"Here's your stocked frig. You've paid for what's in there. Use all you want. Here's your selection of CDs for mood music. Here's your wonderful Desert Blend bath products from Taos." Picture our jaws on the floor at this point.
A cursory unpacking later, and off we go to make sizable contributions to the Santa Fe local economy. No sooner are the flames simmering down on my credit card but here's a call on my iPhone. I don't recognize the number so I let it go into voice mail. "Hello... this is Joshua from the Inn... I know you're out shopping now but if you don't mind we'd love to upgrade you to our house. We really like your positive energy and good vibe. If you want, we can pick up your bags and move them over while you're out." Remember that picture of my jaw on the floor. Repeat.
OK. The HOUSE. Whatever definition of opulence we had after seeing the Rosemary Suite needed immediate revision after seeing this incredible bunker for our getaway. 2000+ square feet of "you've got to be kidding me." Five fireplaces. Fully loaded kitchen. iPod playing through the whole place with individual room controls. HD flat screens everywhere. More tile than you can imagine. Floors. Walls. Ceilings. ON THE REFRIGERATOR DOOR!
Enough of the hardware already... lest you think my primary rave is predicated on this special upgrade. Take this urban oasis and now add on the level of service that would humble Four Seasons. I call over to the office to ask for some suggestions of where to take a scenic drive to fuel my photography passion. I would have been happy with a "take highway 14 outta town and head south for great mountain views blah blah blah..." Nope. Not here. Here comes Joshua over with a handful of google maps he's just printed out for us. What's more, his friend knows of a great spot not on the map and he can even get you in to the O'Keefe Museum even though it's closed because he knows the guy... THAT is service, folks. Here's another small but important example of their hospitality. You get a couple of cookies at turndown time. The first night, we enjoyed chocolate chip cookies. The 2nd night, the cookies were a flavor we didn't like as much. I called them the following morning and half jokingly said "and could we possibly get those chocolate chip cookies with turn down tonight?" Well... not only did we get them... I think we had about 10 on a plate that night! There's a cooked-to-order breakfast menu included in your tariff so make sure to take advantage of that either in your room, their dining room or outside if weather permits.
Are their any negatives? Only if you're interested in seeing spectacular mountain vistas from your room. This IS a downtown hotel, so you're going to hear a little traffic here... maybe a garbage pick-up there. BUT the interior spaces are so amazing I doubt many will quibble with the location since the spectacular NM scenery is only minutes away, and there is plenty of beauty in the courtyards they've created in the complex.
Thanks to everyone at the Inn for making our stay so memorable. I don't know if we'll book the house... but we'll be back soon!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
CPDempsey, Public Relations Manager at Inn of the Five Graces, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear ChiWeather,

We are at a loss for words on what to say. Thank you from the center of our souls for your absolutely amazing review, stunning compliments, and exquisite elocution. I can honestly say that we enjoyed having you here with us as much as you enjoyed being here. So much so, we are currently considering renaming the Luminaria House “2000+ square feet of "you've got to be kidding me."
Thank you for taking the time to spell out what made your stay remarkable and memorable. It helps us to know that everything we do makes a difference and it helps your fellow travelers to understand what that “difference” truly is.
I could go on and on but instead will simply extend our sincere thanks for your humbling words. We cannot wait to see you all again and we hope that each and every one of you continue to have safe and happy travels.

348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I are avid travelers and chose Santa Fe for our honeymoon after discovering it by chance a few years before our wedding. We booked the Inn of the Five Graces for our hotel, and could not have been happier. On trips before and since we have stayed at the Inn of the Anasazi and the Inn and Spa at Loretto. Both are nice, but neither comes close to the true sense of privacy and relaxation at the Inn of the Five Graces. Yes it's expensive, but is worth the splurge - especially if it's a once-in-a-lifetime occasion. The Five Graces is tucked into a quiet side street just blocks from the heart of Santa Fe, and is within walking distance of just about anything you could want to do as far as shopping or dining. The rooms themselves are situated around a beautiful secluded courtyard with their own private entrances - no long, boring hallways with identical doors here. Once inside the room, you might as well be lost in something out of Arabian Nights. I was so blown away by the decor and atmosphere in our room I spent a full 5 minutes taking pictures of the bathroom. I have never found a hotel so close to everything a travel destination has to offer that feels like it's a million miles from anywhere. Absolutely amazing, you won't regret a stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I feel I must say that I am guilty of never having post a review when very well deserved and this one is over due. If it weren’t for the Inn’s staff I would have never known of Trip Advisor. Upon driving up to the hotel Kandice was eagerly waiting outside as if only for us, a first at any property we have ever stayed at. Before we could get into the office our bags were already being hauled off to our suite and the car was already being parked, service at its best if you ask me. My wife and I entered the office and were greeted by Joshua who had warming/welcoming smile that reminded us both of being kids treated like adults. He walked us to our suite which was Jasmine and as he perfectly described about this room, “it was opulence at its finest, and visions of grandeur detailed just for us.” Throughout our stay the Inn’s staff was more attentive and helpful than I had ever experienced, I think my wife would as well agree. From daily newspapers to espresso, having wifi and breakfast, use of their fitness center, 24 hour concierge assistance and ALL of the other inclusives this property adds, why wouldn’t you stay here? The only reason for writing this review is because this property is non-tipping, something I didn’t find out until the end of out stay. Upon checkout, I did try to tip Joshua as he was an asset to our stay that we will never forget. Not only did he refuse the tip, but he kindly asked if in lieu of the tip, I’d be so kind to post a review for the property and staff. He explained to me that he does appreciate the observance of good service, but it isn’t money that drives the staff. It is the happiness of the guests and the willingness of being able to be there for us. Only once in my life have I experienced a staff member not refer to himself as I, but to himself as we and us and actually make it about a team environment. This was a general manager of a Mandarin Oriental in Asia. Only he has ever stuck in my head as wanting to re-visit because of over the top service. Now I have found my second. As long as Joshua is at this Inn we will return. He is an employee that will go far not only in life, but with how he provides customer service! When you visit Santa Fe, you NEED to stay at the Inn Of The Five Graces and nowhere else. Yes, the rates are a bit higher but once you do look at what is included I can tell you NO where compares and the service is unlike any, anyone can experience. Thank you Joshua and Kandice for making our stay what it should have been! We will see you next winter!

Room Tip: Stay in the Jasmine suite!
Dear TerriM52970,

I want to first thank you for taking the time to write this amazing review and share your thoughts and experiences with us…with the world. We work very hard to find the best guest service agents and while I am never surprised to hear great things about them, it always makes me very proud to know that their service was such an important part of our guests stay. We are more of a family here and I believe that our connection to the property as a family is what makes it such an honor to be able to provide the best service possible. I will extend a heartfelt thank you on behalf of Joshua and Kandice for your kind praise and we will do everything we can to ensure they are here and waiting for you upon your return.
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again next winter.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Perhaps the most unique and pleasant experience I've had in a hotel in the states. Small, intimate, cozy, with one of a kind decor. The staff goes to great pains to know their guests and attend to every need. It is expensive, but the price is truly all inclusive. While my wife and I enjoy Santa Fe, for us, the destination is Inn of the Five Graces, not the city itself; what more can I say?

Room Tip: Doesn't matter; I'm pretty sure we've seen them all.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear T453,

To be singled out as a destination within the wonderful city of Santa Fe is truly an honor. Santa Fe is a pretty wonderful place…but is nice to know that we make it that much better. We are very grateful for your review and kind words. Our guests experience and value of their stay are a passion of ours and we are glad to know that we met your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again and wish you safe and happy travels.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

The Inn of the Five Graces is a Santa Fe treasure we discovered quite by accident when we were asked to leave our hotel on New Year's Eve because the bank was foreclosing on the property. You heard right, folks. Evicted on New Years Eve. That said - we were lucky enough to get a room at the Five Graces - a beautiful, stunningly decorated casita with a great kitchen (with fresh chips and homemade salsa waiting upon our arrival), a warm fireplace, cozy living room, perfect Wi Fi and a comfy bedroom with a king size bed covered with a dreamy feather pillow. Plus a fridge full of Perrier/water/chocolates - all free! But then again, this place is a Relais & Châteaux and you can always expect the best and to be treated like royalty. The staff was so friendly and helpful and let's not forget their complimentary breakfast. Yummy!! And fyi, they'll happily accommodate kids and even give you a crate for your family dog. We just loved our stay there and can't wait to come back! Thank God we got evicted!!!!

Dear Addison107,

Thank you for your very detailed review, words of praise, and traveler recommendations. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we are happy to have been able to step in and save your stay and New Years Eve in Santa Fe. We look forward to your return and hope that your new year has continued forward in good graces.

Austin TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We just spent the most warm, cozy, and beautiful Christmas at this incredible hotel. Every minute was a delight. EVERYTHING about this hotel is superb. There is not in this world a more attentive nor kind staff. How we appreciate everything they did for us, from choosing superb restaurants every evening to making our little doggie feel as welcome and comfortable as we were. We are still thinking about how wonderful it was sitting in front of our beautiful burning kiva with delicious breakfasts in front of us. We are already planning our next trip back.

Room Tip: We loved Aria. It is so beautiful and also pet friendly.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
CPDempsey, Guest Relations Manager at Inn of the Five Graces, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear lilyh46,

We are so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful and beautiful Christmas stay with us. We cannot thank you enough for your kind words for the property and the staff. It was a pleasure to have you here with us and we look forward to your return. Have a wonderful and safe new year.

The Seret Family
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

The rooms are certainly unique with an Asian-N. African flair. Smell of firewood and furnishings lent a home-like coziness to the wonderfully over the top elements of the decor. The beds were comfortable and the linens were of higher caliber. The standout service, especially, from the evening/night staff despite a skeleton crew was memorable- from preparing fruit platters, cheese plate, coffee etc. to re-kindling the fire, always with a smile. Additionally, the complimentary food and drinks in the room catered to our dietary preferences were much appreciated (healthier options- more fruits, nuts etc). Between the altitude and the dry air, it was nice to have a ready supply of drinkable and portable water at our disposal for hydration. Simply put, breakfast was wonderful, however, there was considerable wait two days in a row. Granola was one of our family favorites.

I would recommend making dinner reservations at the local eateries in advance as they were booked 7-8 days prior to our arrival. Also, there were several local music/play venues with memorable performances. I highly recommend the Lensic performing arts center located very close to the inn of the five graces (http://www.lensic.org). Many world famous artists travel through here. If of interest, plan for a walking tour of SF offered in am (can be arranged by the inn) and a drive outside of SF to Taos through the very picturesque, winding "high roads" of the Sange de Cristo Mountains. There is limited cell phone service, hence not much GPS help from google maps and the map provided by the hotel is not always sufficient, but navigation help was readily provided by the folks inhabiting the small towns and scenic sites.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear GeorgeThomas,

Thank you for your review and for taking the extra time to detail your experiences not only at the Inn, but out and about Santa Fe. The holidays can be a very busy time here so your advice to fellow travelers to plan ahead and take advantage of local venues is invaluable. We recommend taking full advantage of our Concierge Services to arrange any and all dining experiences or activities you may wish to plan in advance. Please accept our sincere apologies for the wait time you experienced at breakfast, our kitchen can get quite busy but we always strive to provide that best quality and service possible so your comment will be noted for the future. That said, we are happy to hear that you did enjoy your meals including our Chef’s homemade granola. We hope that you are having a wonderful start to the New Year and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

The Seret Family

Been to Inn of the Five Graces? Share your experiences!