“Just what we needed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa

You added Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1297 Bishops Lodge Road, PO Box 2367, Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Ranked #42 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
“Just what we needed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I have to say, one of best relaxing experiences I've ever had. Being a resort in a resort city, of course it is busy in July. Facilities and amenities are great. We did everything from spa to horseback riding to just hanging at the pool. Most impressive is the caring and engaged staff. And it starts at the top. We were lucky enough to meet the general manager, Rich V. Not hard to meet because he is literally everywhere! Engaging all the guests, hand in hand next to his staff, leading by example. I am from the hospitality industry, and this GM could teach everyone in my industry a thing or two! Loves our stay, and in large part due to this GM and his outstanding team. It is obvious they care about their hotel and it's more than just a paycheck to them. Love to see that!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I stayed at Bishop's Lodge with my granddaughter. We had one bedroom, 2 beds, bath and a sitting room. The furnishings were in need of renovations. The rug was threadbare and the furnishings were worn. The toiletries were not replenished daily. We had to request that the soap be replenished daily and we requested more towels. The housekeeping was sloppy. Every evening when we returned from our travels and were preparing for bed, we saw many beetles in our bathroom When morning I found a beetle crawling on my arm. The hotel furnished free water and snacks the first day, in our room, but never replenished the supply again. The restaurant was very overpriced. The staff that we interacted with were nice. When I went to the pool I had to find some attendant to request towels and then had to sign for them
The resort had some luxury misses on items that one would expect from an expensive lodge.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room. Ours was old and threadbare
Green Features: I didn't see any recycling containers . If they recycle or practice environmentally friendly activities was not aware of them
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed at the Bishop's Lodge because no other room was available on Friday, July 11, 2014 during the International Folk Festival. It was an experience we will never forget, but we wouldn't want to repeat it. We'd rather be staying in the Plaza area. The Bishop's Lodge was remote and not near any shop, attraction, or restaurant.

The room may have been clean but it wasn't in the best condition. Chipped tile appeared in the entrance way. The kiva fireplace was chipped and needed repainted. There was no shower just a standard shower/tub. Bathrobes looked old, and they didn't sell them in the gift shop. Chairs outside on the porch looked inviting. We figured we'd better not sit in them because they might collapse. One had a loose leg.

Nor was it a pleasant experience checking in. No postcards were available in the check in area, no A/C either. No one was manning the gift shop. Hardly any parking was provided. We got jammed in by other cars. When we finally reached the room, groundskeepers in trucks were making lots of noise while we were unloading the car. They drove too close to our cat in a carrier for comfort and we had to scream at them.

Our one night stay cost $617.51. Was it worth it?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed at Bishop's Lodge so we could attend the fabulous Flamenco dinner show at El Farol. Four of us stayed in a Traditional Junior Suite and it was a beautiful space with high ceilings, incredible vigas, and tasteful furnishings. The surroundings are stunning, and I recommend visiting during July and August when the rains have left a lovely carpet of green everywhere. The staff were gracious and arranged transportation for us to and from El Farol in the evening. We had a great driver who was courteous and fun. Breakfast in the morning was a bit overpriced for the quality of the food, but we enjoyed sitting outside on the balcony and the service was excellent. I highly recommend this for families, friends and travelers who want to stay outside of the bustle of Santa Fe.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I took our family on vacation at Bishop's Lodge for four nights and five days last week. My memory of Bishop's Lodge has been sweet for many years – my family took us when I was 10 years old for our first ski trip... It seemed like a magical place. Unfortunately, our arrival was quite disappointing due to a heavy rainstorm, no bellman to help us find our 3 rooms on the ridge OR assist us with our luggage. One of our rooms had six leaks and a another had to have a bucket in the bathroom for a leak. There was mud for 24 hours on the walkways and dangerously slick to walk on. The front desk arranged for my son's room to be moved to the other side of their boys' room... And they still had to move the furniture in order to avoid a leak.
THE GOOD NEWS: after the first night everything was wonderful – the dining outside was delightful – the food was delicious! And special recognition to JODI & VIOLET who waited our tables and met our every need before we even knew we had it. JODI remembered each of our individual drink requests each day and brought them to the table without our asking. She was energetic and upbeat and happy each day .... and was a joy to be around. She pretty much set the mood for our day each morning at breakfast. We ended up eating every breakfast and every dinner at the lodge because the food and service was so good!
The boys, 17 and 11, loved the pool the croquet and the Trailride was the highlight of all of our trip! Keith at only 17, did a great Trail Ride tour that was educational as well as fun.
The rooms were huge, our view from the ridge was magnificent and peaceful, housekeeping was great, weather was fabulous..... I would and will return!

Room Tip: Rooms on the ridge have the best for view #256 has a balcony view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We have stayed at Bishop's Lodge many times. It is a beautiful property with great amenities. We took a fabulous four hour horseback ride this year. The service can be spotty, and the beautiful pool can get noisy at mid-day -- but it is simply a pleasure to sit on a porch at your room and enjoy the view. The staff couldn't be nicer, even if they seem to often not hit their marks.

Stayed August 2014
Norwich, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Frankly, I was concerned ahead of time to read so many negative reviews of the Bishop's Lodge Ranch on Tripadvisor that, when I first arrived and was shown to 189 Juniper Lodges, I thought my worst fears had come true. But when Arias opened the door for me, I was pleasantly surprised to find an enormous room, well furnished, with comfortable Queen-size beds and clean, good quality, white linens. It also came with comfortable seating around an adobe fireplace. The old-fashioned TV certainly did not faze me at all, as I was not at the Bishop's Lodge to watch TV programs. The bathroom was surprisingly large too, handsomely tiled, and well equipped. I especially appreciated the long Bishop's Lodge toweling robe one chilly night. And best of all, behind Spanish doors, there was a concealed, tiled sink for washing fruit and vegetables, and below it a small refrigerator, great for keeping groceries from Kaune's Market and cold drinks! This meant I could have breakfast and dinner out on the back deck, when I did not want to eat in the restaurant.

I liked the peace and quiet of 189, as it was the furthest room from the main lodge. Its location is very close to the paddock and the stables, and through the trees, wranglers could be seen preparing the horses for guests. It was also a great place to see desert hare hopping by. My room even had its own private parking space, which was greatly appreciated, as I would come back late at night from the Santa Fe Opera but would always have my reserved space.

This is a family-oriented resort with lots of activities for children and grownups, but it works well for the solo traveler too, especially if you want to take time out to just relax. On one occasion, I took advantage of the shuttle service to go downtown at noon to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum to see the O'Keefe/Steiglitz/Ansel Adams Exhibition and to pick up tickets for the Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival at the New Mexico Museum of Art. I even had time for a late lunch at the French Bakery at the La Fonda Hotel and a visit to the Cathedral before returning to the Bishop's Lodge on the 4:15 PM shuttle.

All in all, this was an enjoyable stay, enhanced with a friendly and helpful staff, in lovely surroundings.

Room Tip: I liked the isolation of room 189, but if you want more luxury choose the newer apartments on the up...
Green Features: Towels and sheets not changed unless asked. Organic toiletries. Santa Fe was under drought conditions, so cannot comment on water-saving remedies.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo