“Rustic but Comfortable!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa

You added Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1297 Bishops Lodge Road, PO Box 2367, Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Ranked #37 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Norwich, Vermont
“Rustic but Comfortable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Frankly, I was concerned ahead of time to read so many negative reviews of the Bishop's Lodge Ranch on Tripadvisor that, when I first arrived and was shown to 189 Juniper Lodges, I thought my worst fears had come true. But when Arias opened the door for me, I was pleasantly surprised to find an enormous room, well furnished, with comfortable Queen-size beds and clean, good quality, white linens. It also came with comfortable seating around an adobe fireplace. The old-fashioned TV certainly did not faze me at all, as I was not at the Bishop's Lodge to watch TV programs. The bathroom was surprisingly large too, handsomely tiled, and well equipped. I especially appreciated the long Bishop's Lodge toweling robe one chilly night. And best of all, behind Spanish doors, there was a concealed, tiled sink for washing fruit and vegetables, and below it a small refrigerator, great for keeping groceries from Kaune's Market and cold drinks! This meant I could have breakfast and dinner out on the back deck, when I did not want to eat in the restaurant.

I liked the peace and quiet of 189, as it was the furthest room from the main lodge. Its location is very close to the paddock and the stables, and through the trees, wranglers could be seen preparing the horses for guests. It was also a great place to see desert hare hopping by. My room even had its own private parking space, which was greatly appreciated, as I would come back late at night from the Santa Fe Opera but would always have my reserved space.

This is a family-oriented resort with lots of activities for children and grownups, but it works well for the solo traveler too, especially if you want to take time out to just relax. On one occasion, I took advantage of the shuttle service to go downtown at noon to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum to see the O'Keefe/Steiglitz/Ansel Adams Exhibition and to pick up tickets for the Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival at the New Mexico Museum of Art. I even had time for a late lunch at the French Bakery at the La Fonda Hotel and a visit to the Cathedral before returning to the Bishop's Lodge on the 4:15 PM shuttle.

All in all, this was an enjoyable stay, enhanced with a friendly and helpful staff, in lovely surroundings.

Room Tip: I liked the isolation of room 189, but if you want more luxury choose the newer apartments on the up...
Green Features: Towels and sheets not changed unless asked. Organic toiletries. Santa Fe was under drought conditions, so cannot comment on water-saving remedies.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Long Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

The room, grounds and staff were lovely. A magical place to celebrate my friends 50th Birthday. One of the highlights of our stay was the group drumming circle with Jade. A wonderful time was had by all. Jade is a loving soul who speaks from the heart. You won't be disappointed. A session with Jade will complete your stay here.

• Stayed August 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This hotel is way over-rated. Our stay there was annoying from the beginning to the end. We called and booked a room. When we showed up, the hotel had booked the wrong date. They said they'd change it, but when we arrived back home we realized we were charged for two nights. The horse ride was good, but someone changed our tip amount and we had to dispute it. The rooms were musty and wet. The beds were old and dusty. The TV was very small and was located far away from the bed. The staff is non-responsive. I would not go back.

Room Tip: This is a lodge, not a luxury hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bishoplodger, Public Relations Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Bishop's Lodge. We appreciate everyone feedback and we share the comments and take your suggestions very seriously.

I apologize for any confusion on your reservation. After every reservation, you get a confirmation letter emailed for you to review. It sound like you booked 2 rooms or room mights. This may have lead to some confusion. Our monsoon season is creating a wet atmosphere and that maybe a reason why things felt wet in your room.

I'm sorry you did not take advantage of our Conde Nast award winning Sha Nah Spa, or free yoga, hiking trails, mountain bikes or pool.

We offer an authentic rustic Santa Fe experience. We hope you may reconsider us in the future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This review is tailored a little bit more towards my overall wedding experience rather than just a breakdown of the hotel, but my experience at Bishop's Lodge was absolutely perfect! Every aspect was handled flawlessly. The Director of Events (Kristina) is INCREDIBLE. She is probably the most calm, organized person I have ever met. She always got back to me with lightning speed - and keep in mind that she probably had at least 50 other brides bugging her all the time - and she was so much fun to work with. The vendors that she recommend I work with were the perfect fit. The food was outstanding, the banquet staff was so helpful and they really went above and beyond to make the evening perfect. I ended up working with a Day Of Coordinator and she and Kristina worked seamlessly together. I truly had the "dream team" on my wedding day.

The venue is GORGEOUS. It's the place for you if you are looking for an outdoor venue with a lot of natural beauty. Lots of trees, greenery, etc. The Pavilion is not at all like a typical hotel ballroom. It has an amazing courtyard that cocktails are held in, but it is open to you the whole night. I definitely recommend that you add the outdoor lighting package (yes ladies. They have a lighting designer on staff!). The room has really high ceilings, chandeliers, and has a wall of French doors that can open out, There is also a huge rock fireplace that Kristina filled with candles for us, as well as putting them all around the room, that really gave the whole place a very soft and romantic feel. I was worried that the carpet and some décor was too southwestern at first, but once the tables and dance floor went down you didn't notice it at all.

Some of the hotel rooms are a little dated - other reviewers do mention that - but my guests had a great experience. All the staff we encountered - from restaurant to front desk to engineering - were very nice and eager to make sure I had a perfect weekend. They have a lot of activities for you too. Horses, a great pool and spa, skeet shooting, hiking - you name it, they probably have it.

Bishop's Lodge is different from anywhere else in Santa Fe and I am so glad we booked here instead of a downtown hotel. It was exactly what I wanted.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms in our block were in the Chamisa Lodge and they were fantastic. We also had people...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

So peaceful and relaxing! Loved the room and the view we had. The food was fantastic and the staff was wonderful. I love the ShaNah spa and the products! Yes, it is a little away from town, but that is the best part! Love the peace and quiet here, and will definely be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We got a summer deal, so our double room was "only" $225. View from room was beautiful, but the mattresses were quite old - for example those at Best Western Plus are much more comfortable, based on our experience. Curtain rod was partially broken so curtains did not fully close. Wifi was inconsistent. Breakfast was not included in the cost of the room, and when we went to the restaurant for breakfast there was no hostess to greet us and the service was very slow and borderline impolite. We had to flag servers down to order and bring us the bill after a long wait, and no one smiled or greeted us at all.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

During one of Santa Fe's busiest summer weekends, we managed to find a last-minute room at the Bishop's Ranch, which was a great stroke of luck. Every other comparable property in town was full. The trade-off for being just at the outskirts of town was peace, quiet and wide-open vistas from our room near the top of the resort property. We arrived from Albuquerque by airport shuttle, but even though we didn't have a car we were never inconvenienced.

We were particularly impressed by two of the outstanding hotel staff members, Arias and Roosevelt. These two professionals are not only courteous, they are extremely personable, friendly and helpful. Whether driving us into town or helping us around the lodge, they both made us feel at home and at ease. When we arrived there was a problem with our key cards not working in the lock, and they made sure the problem received immediate attention so we wouldn't be held up or locked out of our room.

My impression is that this is an excellent property for families, as well as for people needing to get away from it all and relax. If that is what you're after, you may enjoy staying along the upper edge of the property, where the rooms are spacious and the sunset views are spectacular. The trade-off is that you'll need to take a short walk down to the pool or dining area, but there is always the option of calling for a ride if you're not into the walk. During our walks we found the beautiful chapel building, saw the kitchen garden, met the horses and saw a few rabbits along the trail. Don't miss the chance to appreciate your surroundings when you're there!

Room Tip: There are many types of room options at the lodge, so be sure to ask about where your room is locate...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!