“the Hype and Image is above the Reality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa

You added Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1297 Bishops Lodge Road, PO Box 2367, Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Ranked #37 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Austin, Texas
“the Hype and Image is above the Reality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I agree with a previous reviewer. The austerity, remoteness, setting, and your knowledge and history of the original Bishop of Santa Fe all add to the mystique and interest here. But the reality is the upkeep of the property is lacking. We had a problem requiring maintenance, and it was 6 hours before a man arrived. The dinner was unremarkable, and took forever to arrive. If I was indeed a monk, I would consider this a "near" paradise, but instead it's a bit shabby upon close inspection. If you want the history lesson, read the book, but skip the stay. "Death Comes for the Archbishop" by Willa Cathe, voted the 7th-best "Western Novel" of the 20th century.

Room Tip: Take on of the upper level rooms, away from the business meetings at the lower levels.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
BishopsLodge, marketing/public relations at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for taking time to leave us a review. We are sorry about the engineering issues in your room. We are a resort full of rich history and hope you experienced our historic chapel during your stay.

The Bishop's Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I have been to Bishops Lodge for several conferences. The setting and the grounds are very nice. The accommodations are very good. The food was OK. The pool area is also very nice, it's a great place to relax when the sun is out. (which is almost always)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive review. We take great pride in our grounds and accommodations. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed them. In addition to the pool we hope you enjoyed a variety of lawn games and hiking trails. We would hope you visit us again soon.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed at Bishop's Lodge back in late April as part of a company retreat. Because of that I did not pay for my room and can't speak to value, but I can give you my impressions and explain why I'd be very reluctant to return on my own.

On the surface and at a glance, this property looks amazing. The setting and location is lovely. I love the charm of the older buildings. My room seemed nice when I first walked in (and the umbrella in the closet next to the robe was a nice touch and came in handy). The bed was comfortable. Then you look a little closer and see that it just hasn't been cared for.

The landscaping is overgrown in many places. The stucco and paint is chipping off of buildings. There are cracked floor tiles everywhere. The TV in the room is an older tube TV. To use the coffee maker, I had to take it to the desk by the bed and plug it in to what appeared to be an already overloaded power strip. The phone was well... lacking. I missed some messages then had difficulty retrieving them later. The wooden deck outside my room was rotting - nails and splinters were sticking up and the handrail was so loose, I thought I might fall down with it when footing got a little iffy in the snow.

There were other problems with my room that spoke more to the service. The bathroom light was not working when I checked in. I went to the front desk to ask that it be repaired. When I came back to my room after dinner, it wasn't. I took my shower in the dark. That was not cool. I requested again the next morning with an additional request, the door lock on one of my doors was now stuck locked. Thankfully there were 2 doors or I would've been stuck in my room - it took a couple hours to repair. At least the maintenance staff was very friendly.

I live in Austin and am accustomed to a relaxed level of service, but here it was SO relaxed it often felt like no one really cared or like I was a burden. They DID work to make things right after the fact, but it was all reactionary.

Another prime example was the group dinner we had at the restaurant. Apparently our big group had been booked at the same time as another big group and the kitchen couldn't handle it. I waited over 2.5 hours for my meal (and it really wasn't worth the wait, sadly). Pretty much every other interaction with the restaurant staff was more of the same, like I should start by saying "I'm sorry to bother you, but..."

It's a shame really. This place has a lot of potential. If they would just care about the property and the guests a little more - it could be one truly special place. Instead it often felt like they're doing "just enough."

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
BishopsLodge, marketing/ public relations at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are sorry that you experienced a few issues during your company retreat. We hope you took advantage of our spa, hiking trails, lawn games, and many other amenities that we offer. We are happy to hear that your experiences with our staff were pleasant.

Torreon, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Living in New Mexico (south of Albuquerque in the mountains) we are very aware of the wonderful climate, scenery, and absolutely marvelous environment of the state, especially the higher elevations. We wanted to attend the Santa Fe Opera and so made reservations for it and for the "opera package" at the resort.These were done both on line and via telephone. No problems. We made the reservation at the resort because we had received a gift certificate to the resort as a gift. And no problem with the certificate. We spent one night at the resort.

First the good things about the resort. Many of the reviews of the resort state the rustic nature of the resort. This is partly true, i.e., the buildings are all old. They have been modernized up to about 1970 - 1980 standards of quality in hotels. No problem there. It was to be expected and did not distract from the ambiance of the setting. Everything was spotless. The public grounds, badminton, walks, croquet, swimming pool, etc., are all well maintained up to a point.

Our room, in the "South Building" was very spacious, the bathroom was enormous (double sink vanity), and absolutely clean. The personnel was extremely helpful and very friendly. Part of our "opera package" included shuttle service from the resort to the opera house. Eric was outstanding getting us to the entrance through the tons of traffic and was rather prompt (as could be with the traffic) in picking us up. Polite and helpful, kudos to him. The bar and restaurant were clean, service was prompt, and the food was very good, both dinner and breakfast the next morning. It was a bit slow but hey, this is the land of Poco Tiempo and it was relaxing. Normally I would give this resort a very, very good rating, it would not rate an excellent due to the rather outdated electronics and tv. Also there was no elevator in the South Building and being 75 years old, it was not easy carrying our luggage up a flight of stairs.

Now the bad stuff. Talking with other people in the shuttle to the opera we found our opinion about the resort was not just our own. Another couple had stayed there each year for the last several years and noticed the same things we did. The comment was made that either the current owners did not have the impetus to maintain the high standards implied by the many awards the resort had garnered over several years or there had been a change of ownership and the new owner/staff were not familiar with how to maintain those standard. The are many examples of lax maintenance, insufficient training, miscommunication among the staff, etc. None of these were disastrous but taken together they put a damper on the quality of the stay at the resort.

Here are several examples.
1. There are numerous places where the color coat of stucco has fallen off the walls, indicating a lack of maintenance. Several places the color coat is actually separating from the green coat over a large area with multiple cracks and voids. In the places where patches had been applied, the patch was simply gray concrete and not tinted to match the existing color of the wall.
2. The chapel, which should be the primary physical tourist attraction at the resort is in a bad state of decay. The resort was started as a private retreat for Bishop Lamy in the 1800's and the chapel should be the centerpiece of that history. It looked bad.
3. One of the faucets in our bathroom spayed water instead of directing it down into the sink. A minor plumbing fix. The other facet was missing a minor cover over the screw holding one of the handles.
4. There were many cracked floor tiles in the restuarant, not to the point of being a hazard, but just indicating the floor should be replace.
5. Our "king" bed was actually two doubles placed together. This is a common practise on all the cruise ships and many other hotels. However they place a panel above the beds to give a common surface for both partners to sleep on. Here there was none.
6. The bed linens should have been discarded years ago. They were dingy and treadbare. While they were clean they were not appropriate for a 4 star resort.
7. As mentioned in other reviews, the tv's were probably discontinued five years ago. And the reception was blurred and fuzzy.
8. The bar and restaurant were both very good. However the patio had too few umbrellas requiring patrons to sit in full New Mexico sunlight while enjoying the food.
9. The registration desk did not seem up to par. The were courteous, friendly, and really tried to help. But they could not give directions to our room, they had problems handling the "opera package" on the check in, and had trouble posting the various charges to our account. It seemed as if they all were doing OJT with no one able to instruct them.
10. This one is a minor indication on the lack of attention to detail you would expect in a 4 or 5 star resort. We noticed the message button flashing on the phone. That button said "Press here to receive the message". Pressing the button did nothing. Finally after I read the notebookd of amenities, activities, security, maintenance, etc., there was an instruction on how to receive the message. I did so and there were about eight messages going beck 23 days. Apparantly other guests had given up on getting the message(s), mostly welcome message.

I have written way to long on this but we were so disappointed in our stay I had to let off steam. If you were to ask if we would stay there again I would have to say at this point, NO. This is not to discourage you from staying there. Our problem is we had high expectations for the resort which were just not completely met. If the resort management were to attend to these minor problems, none of which in itself is more than a nuisance or a small damage to the ambiance, we would be more than happy to return. We have no problem with "rustic" environment, relaxing but slow wait service. There does need to be some cosmetic refurbishing of the buildings, especially the chapel, but that does not impact upon our stay, only our view which is more than comensated by the lovely grounds and scenery of the environs.

We hope the management notices these items and makes the proper response to them because it can be a most enjoyable experience if the environment allows it.

Room Tip: If you cannot carry your luggage, ask for a ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments. We are happy to hear that transportation to the Opera was a positive experience and that you chose to stay with us. We are sorry to hear about some of the problems you experienced with your room during your stay. We are glad you enjoyed our restaurant and hope you took some time to enjoy the scenery during your stay. We hope you stay with us during your next visit to the Opera.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have an incredibly stressful job and this resort is my escape. The property is so peaceful and the staff is very accomodating and friendly. I take my children and they love the horses and the pool. The chef is amazing. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We are very happy to hear that you regularly enjoy our resort. We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Harker Heights, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We recently stayed at Bishop's Lodge for three days. It was definitely rustic, but was clean and well maintained. They have four hiking trails and we hiked two of them and took a horseback ride on a third trail. My daughters (ages 12 and 8) had never been on a horse before so this was so much fun for them. The one hour rides are $60 per person, but was worth it to see the looks on my daughters faces as they rode their horses. The ride is not just a walk or trot around the corral, you actually ride on the narrow trails through the hill and at the top of the hill you can take in the beautiful scenery. My daughters also enjoyed the pool and we played croquet and badminton each night on the lawn. We did not visit the restaurant, choosing instead each lunch in Santa Fe and then picnic on our private patio for breakfast and dinner. Overall, we had a very memorable stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive review. We are pleased to hear your comments about the cleanliness of the resort. We are also glad you enjoyed your horseback rides as we have exceptional wranglers. We hope next time you will be able to enjoy our restaurant as well.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I enjoyed a recent business trip to Bishop's Lodge in Santa Fe for a 2 day conference. The breakfast offered was 'to order' as well as a variety of fresh fruit, cottage cheese, cereal, shredded hash browns, two kinds of sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, and waffles. The only thing is that the kitchen staff who replenished the food was rude by stepping in front of guests as they were serving themselves. Usually staff wait until the guests step away from the food and then replenish the food trays, so that's why this rating was a 4 and not a 5. On the other hand, the waiters, waitresses and bar staff went above and beyond duty to provide a pleasant experience. In particular, I enjoyed chatting with the front desk staff, one from Florence Italy (Fabio) and another doing his internship there. Both of these gentlemen were very helpful and attentive and the conversation was interesting! The rooms were unexpectedly spacious for small cabin-type or cottage-type rooms and they were clean. The bathrooms were large, and the patio off of the room was very private even when you could hear people walking on a path nearby. I really felt like it was a little rustic sanctuary hidden away in a stretch of land that made good use of hills, and natural creeks. Several trails were well-marked and not very long at all - maybe 45 minutes at most to walk. The little cottage-cabins were constructed in very unique Santa Fe adobe style architecture and again as you walked along the trails around the property, you get the feeling it is very private and restful. It's also a reasonable price for the attractions available - spa, horse-back riding, croquet, trails, conference rooms. It deserves a rating of 5, but a little more training for the kitchen staff on waiting for guests to step away from the trays of food before replenishing it would be important for customer service.

Room Tip: Choose a room in an upper level for view, and a room on lower level for private patio.
Green Features: Very good. The hotel recycles water for natural attractions. There is also a sweat lodge here.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are happy that you took advantage of our trails and other amenities during your stay. We are pleased to hear that you had positive interactions and conversation with our front desk as well. We hope to see you again soon.

The Bishop's Lodge

Been to Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!