“Historic Property needs Rescue!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa

You added Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1297 Bishops Lodge Road, PO Box 2367, Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Ranked #37 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
San Diego, California
“Historic Property needs Rescue!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We have stayed here several times over the years and have enjoyed the beautiful grounds. On a recent stay we appreciate the 100 year old history of the property but, for whatever reason, it is apparent that there is a lack of reinvestment/renovation in the stewardship of this historic place. In the past, given the age of the property we overlooked some of the quirky features of the condition of the rooms. Currently it is just a lack of repair, poorly/crudely and inconsistent upkeep. We observed many deficiencies that can be inexpensively fixed but requires due diligence on the part of Management which by this evidence is lacking. From other comments and responses by Management no doubt there are beautiful features of the property, but the basic upkeep of the guest rooms can't be ignored much longer. Here's hoping that there are better times ahead for the Bishops Lodge as this historic property deserves the attention that will enable it to continue for its next hundred years.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
BishopsLodge, Public Relations Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Bishop's Lodge Ranch Resort & Spa. We appreciate the kind words your mentioned about the Lodge.

We are currently in the process of placing all of our resort updates with photos online. We will be featuring our current restoration project that's currently taking place throughout 25 different buildings on the property. Last week we just finished Juniper and Chamisa Lodges. We updated our rooms, outside patios, added new landscaping and did tons of re-stuccoing on the outside of these two lodge buildings.

All of our before and after improvements will be be seen on our website and on Facebook gallery pages in the coming days. We appreciate your patronage and your help in keeping the Bishop's Lodge Ranch Resort & Spa tradition going.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is the perfect location....the best of both worlds....located just a short drive (10 minutes) from the Sante fe square and located in a peaceful rugid setting. Great ambiance, New Mexican style buildings and accomodations. Friendly, welcoming staff. Quick check in, efficient and professional. Great room - loads of space and very comfortable! I wil stay here many more times!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
I must first thank you for taking the time to review your time at Bishop’s Lodge. I’m thrilled you had the opportunity to experience all that our resort has to offer and I look forward to passing kudos along to our “first rate” staff.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I chose a weekend at Bishop's Lodge to make a proposal of marriage to my girlfriend. The service and attention we received was nothing less than remarkable - five stars, plus.

My plans included some special requests resulting in some specific schedule requirements for service.Everything came off without a hitch creating the magical weekend I was trying to achieve.

The flowers and champagne were delivered on schedule, the tiki lights and votives for the Gazebo where ready when requested. The food was among the best we have eaten in New Mexico including the beautiful buffet and brunch. Juaquin turned out to be colorful companion for Patricia’s private ride and we enjoyed a very relaxing couples massage at the Shanah-Spa.

My proposal of marriage at the Gezebo by twilight was accepted - so, with the help of the Bishop's Lodge staff - the weekend was a success.

We will return to Bishop's Lodge and serve as ambassadors of one of Santa Fe's best-kept secrets.

Bravo and Warm Regards to the Whole Staff!

Room Tip: Sunset Ridge lodges have a spectacular view of the sunset and the whole valley.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

One good thing I have to say is the dinner was awesome. The green chili smashed potatoes were divine.

The front desk service was below average, not really welcoming, helpful or happy to see us.

We reserved a deluxe room and we staying 3 days, I wanted a nice room with a view, it was during the week, no weekend, or big event days. We got a noce enough room - 247. Nice view of the hill tops, nice roomy balcony. The carpet had 2 dirty gigantic stains. Ine the size of a platter by the coffee maker, and one the size of a poster bard between the two beds. Disgusting. The bathrooms are totally out dated and small. The air conditioner was in terrible condition. It was on the lowest temp (when we arrived) and it never got below 75. we prefer a cooler room for sleeping.

Pool was nice, no towels left for people who swam after 5. There were no towels to shower or for pool use. That stunk.

Hot tub out dated, but nice temperature.

Don't forget an item in your room it is very hard to get a call back. Not consistant at returning calls.

Room Tip: Restaurant terrace is great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We review all our guest comments and concerns on a daily basis.

I'm sorry you did not like your room. We feature images of our rooms on online for your convenience before booking your reservations. We normally accommodate all requests given to the front desk. If we did not go over and beyond to meet this request I sincerely apologize on behalf of our team.
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I loved, loved, loved Bishop's Lodge! We were there for 4 nights in May and had a fabulous, relaxing and zen like stay. Our room was up the mountain with spectacular views. It was huge, extremely comfortable and beautifully decorated in the Santa Fe style with a functioning Kiva fireplace in the corner.

We walked to breakfast every morning, past the original chapel (which dates back to the 1800's), while taking in the wildflowers, birds, deer and beautiful Santa Fe scenery. Did I forget to mention that the resort backs up to the National Forest so if hiking is your passion wonderful trails that provide amazing vistas are just outside of your doorstep.

We ate delicious breakfasts at the resort restaurant on the patio where we enjoyed the ambiance including music, a wind sculpture garden and beautiful views of the mountains and the pool. Had one amazing dinner there as well.

The resort is literally 5 minutes to the square where great restaurants and shopping abound and although you are so close you really feel like you are away from everything when you are at Bishops Lodge - which is exactly how I like to vacation.

I would and do recommend this resort to everyone - I have been traveling to Santa Fe regularly for over 20 years and this is the best experience I have had! I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the renovated rooms up the mountain for beautiful views!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I enjoy visiting Santa Fe, NM at least once a year. When we found Bishops Lodge we fell in love even more with the area. The resort is family friendly. There is alway a game of croquet, ping pong or badminton being played. The pool is full and everybody is happy. It is away from Santa Fe but not too far. Perfect distance. The only drawback we had was at the restaurant. They took forever. They ended up crediting the meal. My husband rode a horse for the first time at the Lodge and really enjoyed himself. The wrangler was knowledgeable and explained everything on what to expect and what to do while riding. If you want to visit Santa Fe but are afraid it's too adult oriented this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied with your room they will make every effort to get you a room you enjoy. (M...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BishopsLodge, Public Relations Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Marlton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I went to ride at their stables and was very pleased. When calling prior, everyone I spoke to was quite friendly and informative.

Upon arrival I was greeted warmly by just about the most beautiful wrangler a cowboy has ever seen. I was assigned a "Prince" of a horse and had a lovely ride through the hillside.

The animals appeared well cared for, I would highly recommend riding with them.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!