“Family centered and beautiful mountain location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa

You added Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1297 Bishops Lodge Road, PO Box 2367, Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Ranked #39 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Family centered and beautiful mountain location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have enjoyed spending time at Bishop's Lodge several times in the past year. My daughter always begs to go too! The high points of your resort, that sets it apart from others in the area, is the family focus, historical entrenchment, and the mountain location at this unique area! It is so relaxing and really has helped me to reconnect with family and friends in our visits and stays at Bishop's Lodge. I have found that if I really want a luxurious location, I will pay a little bit more for the recently built villas, but staying in the more rustic lodge areas are also great, as we can save some money, and still enjoy the family time, hikes, pool, visit the horses and walk up the the historic chapel as well. I recommend this to people who prioritize relaxation with family and friends in a gorgeous, natural, rural, historic area, just miles from the center of Santa Fe!

Room Tip: I you want new with great views, pay a little more for a villa, otherwise, you can save money by sta...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have been to Santa Fe several times over the years and have stayed at a variety of hotels and bed & breakfast locations. My recent 5-nite stay at Bishop's Lodge Casitas was the best. The casitas are newly built homes next to the Lodge that are managed by the Lodge. We had two bedrooms, 3 fireplaces, jacuzzi tub, steam shower, kitchen and dining area. Our casita was on a low hill with an amazing panoramic view. We had dinner one nite in the hotel restaurant. It was expensive, but very good and it was nice that it wasn't too busy. It was a really great stay with excellent service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Where to start...I purchased a Deluxe Suite package on Luxury Link to stay at Bishop's Lodge. I have used Luxury Link previously with great success. I typically stay at the Inn of The Anasazi when in Santa Fe, but since we were bringing my daughter, the Luxury Link special for the Deluxe Suite, seemed like a good choice. I studied the on line reviews of Bishop's Lodge, and was concerned, but a close friend told me he had a great family vacation there, so given the Luxury Link deal was good, I took a chance.
Well, my saga begins with my favorite line to my wife, "Rustic is good, rusty is not". Trust me, parts of Bishop's Lodge are rusty. We checked in around 6 pm, and I asked if they had our "Deluxe Suite". They said they only had one available and took us to our room. As soon as I opened the door it was clear that this was not the Suite I had bought. This Suite looked something from the Catskill Mountains circa 1960. I actually expected "Baby" from the movie Dirty Dancing to step out from the bedroom. The wiring was so old that room still had a light switch where you push a button in, versus current switches. As I mentioned I had been studying on line and knew I had gotten a Traditional Junior Suite. Below is the description for the Bishop's Lodge website:

Traditional Junior Suite
Features King Bed, separate living area and sleeping area. Many have a sofa bed in the living room. Maximum occupancy 4pp (2 adults/2 children). Ambiance relfect "Old Santa Fe Charm". Spacious yet intimate. All have the great outdoors at their doorstep. Rooms are decorated in the early 1930's vintage style reflecting the Lodges history.

Trusty this room was rusty, not rustic. The room I purchased from Luxury Link was the one described below, also from the Bishop's Loge website:

Deluxe Suite
Suites with 1 Kingsize Bed or 2 Queensize Beds (bed size not guaranteed), seperate Living Room with Fireplace and Queen Sofabed. Patio or a Balcony. Ambiance reflects "Old Santa Fe Charm". Spacious yet intimate. Some with wet bars. All have the great outdoors at their doorstep. All open out to the lushness or the resorts acreage.

Trust me while they sound similar, they are not. The Deluxe Suite website picture is quite different than the Traditional Junior suite. The bellman who helped us saw my face and said, "I guess you want the suite with the long room?" When I told him this was the Traditional Junior Suite and I had purchased the Deluxe Suite, he said he would see what they could do. My issue was I purchased a Deluxe Suite which on their Website is also more expensive.
Well, I got a call and was told there were no other suites. At that point i made a quick call to Luxury Link and in 10 minutes was told by the Front Desk that they would change my room and I would be happy. We had reservations for dinner and were told to come to the Office when we return, and in the meantime they would move our bags to the room that would make me happy.
After dinner we came back to the Office, and were told we were in a Villa. I was happy at first, since I know they had some really nice Villa's and they were at the top of the food chain. What I did not know, is that they are off the property through two gates and are not really walking distance to the main resort.
Well, we were escorted up to the Villa. When we entered we saw a fabulous looking Villa, and all our bags. It was however cold. I should add that the temperature was anywhere from 10 to 18 at night and in the 20's and 30's during the day, since this was between Christmas and New Years. I noticed the Villa was cold and the thermostat said it was 60 degrees. The Bellman who took us up to the VIllas said don't worry it will warm up. I guess he forgot to turn up the thermostat when he moved our bags up the from the other room. You can guess the next part, the room never warmed up. Also there were 4 thermostats, one main and one in each bedroom. We moved every one to 80 degrees and still no heat. SO I called the front desk and the sent the "Engineer". The engineer arrived with 3 space heaters, "JUST IN CASE". Well, we plugged in the 3 space heaters as the so called engineer and his assistant tried to figure things out. During the hour the they were working the space heaters blew out several circuit breakers. So now I have no heat and no space heaters. The engineer could never find the circuit panel as well as never figure out how to get the heat fixed. Add to that his comment that "It is was now his time to leave", and you can see this is less and less funny. I called the front desk and of course they could move us back to the "Dirty Dancing " Suite. A this point we had unpacked. Not knowing what would happen next and not wanting to move, we told them to send up the key for the other room in case it got too cold, but we would try to stay the night. So my wife, daughter and I pulled all the comforters into one room, and all stayed together. At about 3 am my daughter said it was getting too hot. We realized that the heat came on, but only kept the bedroom at 65 degrees.
The next morning we called the front desk and they sent the daytime engineer and his assistant. These guys found the circuit breaker, replaced the air filter and said I was good to go. I asked why the heat had now run, was now off and the main rooms, Kitchen, dinning room and family room were still at 60 degrees. I was then given a detailed description of the HVAC system in this unit, including how the dampers system works. I explained I was on vacation and I just wanted it to work. The engineer said that if I set the thermostat higher in the main areas and lower in the bedrooms the heat would stay on and the bedrooms would not over heat. Well, for two days this worked, however we did have to crack the windows in the bedrooms as they were now too hot. It took 24 hours for the main rooms to get to 70 degrees.
That same morning that the new engineers were working, I ordered room service. Remember I said this was not on property It took and hour and 30 minutes to get our cold room service. Again I called Luxury Link and explained all this. They said they would talk to the property. They did and I had a message that everything should be fixed.
On the last of our four night stay, we returned to our room about 5 pm to find that our main rooms were back to 60 degrees. They sent engineer number 1 back and he said that he hit the reset button on the heat outside and everything should be fine. Well, this night was a repeat of night one. The unit finally came on and sleeping was OK, but we could use the main rooms as they were to cold.
On checking out, I explained to who I believe was the front office manager that while I appreciated being upgraded to a "Ferrari", unfortunately it was one that did not work. I told this gentlemen that if they simply would have provided me with the room I thought I had bought from Luxury Link, all would have been fine. I was told that the "Dirty Dancing" Suite was the only unit they had. I told him that was not the unit they had guaranteed Luxury Link and myself. He then started to say they the Traditional Junior suite is what I bought, as I told him it was not and that Luxury Link advertised a different unit and they are not the same and that his website shows them as different, he either decided not to argue or he learned I was an educated consumer. Further I was told they had no expectation of using this Villa and so it was not "Really ready for guests, but since there was nothing else at the resort, this seemed the best answer." In either case he said there were no incidentals as they were covered by the $300 room credit as part of the Luxury Link Package. He did not offer a receipt. I guess I could have asked for one, as my calculations showed that I had not fully used my $300. I may have also not been offered a receipt as there was a credit I could have used, but at this point they were as tired of me as I was with Bishop's Lodge.
I have told this story to Luxury Link and am waiting to see their response. In the mean time I would strongly urge anyone going to Bishop's Lodge to GUARANTEE a newer room and insure that if they pay top dollar for a Villa, that they ask about the HVAC system. Also understand the Villa's are not really a walk from the Resort.
I will add that the Villa's are beautiful, when they worked, the food, other than room service was fine and my daughter said her spa treatment was fine.
I will update this when Luxury Link tells me what they are planning to do about this sad tale.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Traditional Junior Suite

Deluxe Suite

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Golden, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We had stayed at the Bishop's Lodge about 7 years ago, and loved it. But it has not been maintained as we had hoped. We were put in a room above the main lobby -- restaurant below us was noisy in our room, hallway carpets filthy, door down the staircase from our room started banging shut at 5 a.m., bathroom was 1950's vintage, huge old t.v. (not a flat-screen) on the dresser top, insufficient hot water on the morning we left to even take a shower at 5:30 a.m., and in-room refrigerator (which we needed for our fruit and cheese) had a horribly loud buzzing all night long. The bed was old and springy -- every time my husband moved, I was also bouncing up and down. We would have paid $79/night for this room, but $200/night? You can find much better hotels in Santa Fe, and for a romantic getaway at the same price, we would rather go to the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BishopsLodge, Public Relations Manager at Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Bishop's Lodge Ranch Resort & Spa. We read and take these reviews very seriously during each staff morning meeting. I'm sorry if we did not meet your expectations. It sounds like you stayed in our oldest most historic building. This is the main focal point of our resort and does sometimes get noisy. I apologize for the inconvenience.

With over 32 different buildings our goal is strive and preserve all of the historic value in each one of them . In 2011-12 we did major renovations to most of our buildings and we continue to do so by preserving the integrity of the history and its historic decor.

We have a rich history of over 95 years old. This is what sets our resort apart from any downtown hotel or resort. The rich history is why families and couples time and time again come to make Bishop's Lodge and make it part of their tradition.
Many of our guests visit Bishop's Lodge to step back into time where they can be surrounded by 450 acres of pristine National Forest and experience our deep rooted New Mexico history that surrounds our 150 year old chapel.

We provide guest with services and amenities like horseback riding, hiking trails, mountain biking, group trap and skeet lessons, art & chapel tours and soon archery lessons. I'm sorry if you did not get a chance to experience all the rich elements we have to offer on our resort. I invite you to step out of your room and experience an activity that is not offered anywhere downtown.

What we offer is not just a room but an authentic Santa Fe experience.
prescott, ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed here in September for a business conference. While the staff tried to be accommodating, they were under-staffed at the time of our stay--long wait for check in, slow service in restaurants. Internet was spotty at various parts of the lodge. My suite was large, but in desperate need of refurbishment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Over the past couple of years The Boys & Girls Clubs of Santa Fe have held events at The Bishops Lodge Spa & Resort. It's just amazing how many compliments on the staff, service, food and facility we hear from donors! They make everything seem easy and are always kind and accommodating! It's great to have them as part of our community.

Rich Verruni, Dave Parker, Chef McLean, Stu at the front desk, CC in booking, Maureen with sales and all the team are AWESOME!

We just finished our 2nd Gala there this week and the compliments again are raging all over Facebook and in person!

Thank you, thank you!

Room Tip: Get the Presidential Suite! It's great! So comfortable and spacious!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Bishop's Lodge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!