“Nasty coffee had an americano made twice still short watery shots will NEVER go back .....Java Joes is the BEST.....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Green Owl Coffee Cafe

Improve this listing
Ranked #246 of 464 restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Delivery
Description: (505) 471-9184 This is newly opened and a great breakfast and lunch coffee cafe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Nasty coffee I got an Americano, had them make it 2 times ..Still had short shots and tasted like dirty water..You would think the second one would be better...not so...they really need to train their employees how to pull a shot of espresso...and yes I was in the coffee industry for 15 years I know what a shot should be :). Go to Java Joes never had a bad coffee there

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

50% Recommend
Santa Fe
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I'm not sure what the people who called this place "wonderful", "Fabulous", and especially "top notch" are talking about. One person even said that 'it isn't McFood' and at one point in his review said the service was 'second to none' and then later said it was "spotty". Anyway I have not been impressed the past few times but they've been open for a while so I stopped by again. I drove up to the drive through, where I could hear the noises from inside through the speaker. I sat for several minutes but nobody said anything so I started saying "hello?" and even ended up yelling to try to get some attention but nobody came. Finally a girl came walking by, looking like she was just arriving for work. She asked if I had been helped and then told me she'd get someone to help me when she got inside. I ordered a scone and a breakfast sandwich. I was amazed by the scone, which was the tiniest thing I've ever seen. It was a triangle with sides literally about 2.5 inches long, and the whole thing was about 3/4 inch at its thickest point. It was essentially a blueberry cookie... for $2.75. The breakfast sandwich was handed to me through the window without a bag or napkin. There was no butter on the bagel so the whole thing was very dry, and they put american cheese in it. So, how is this not "McFood"? If I had known I would have ordered it with cheddar, though I'm guessing I would have been charged more. All in all I'm sick of paying a lot for crappy food and service so won't be going back. The kinds of issues with quality and service here aren't kinks that need to be worked out. They're more indicative of serious conceptual issues with what constitutes good food and service.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Fe
“Go for the coffee...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Coffee (just the regular stuff) is really good. It gave me a jolt and, if you're eating in, you get at least one free refill. Otherwise, I was disappointed. The waitstaff seemed ill-trained. Many patrons were waiting for their orders, obviously frustrated. The "burritos" are really just grilled tortilla paninis with little stuffing. I asked for mine with green chile on a wheat tortilla and got a white tortilla with salsa. I think they switched my burrito with the one that walked out the door with a rushed, frustrated patron. I'd go back for coffee but not the food, and get a "real" breakfast burrito at Posa's.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“An Extra Star to Iron Out Wrinkles”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I've tried G.O. twice....Americano w/ steamed soy and muffin one time, same coffee and bagel second. On both occasions the coffee tasted burnt, which I can only assume is poor quality bean roasting. Once, the soy milk was rancid and both baked goods were stale.
Some places need some time to get it together and I want this place to succeed, as there aren't many other options in this area of town, so I didn't want to rate it "terrible". (Chocolate Maven is good, if I can remember to scoot over one street off the main drag!)

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Local joint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Not a Mcjoint. Not easy to figure out what is for you, but the quality and service is second to none.
Do not use the drive through unless you have been here several times. I was confused and disappointed the first time or two. Now it is my only place for lunch and breakfast.
They have a green chili egg muffin with real ingredients. The "snackwich" on pretzel bread is the perfect size and price.
Not good for people passing by, but great for locals. I will be a regular.
Service is spotty, but they are new. Give them time to settle.
Quality is top notch so I expect to pay more than Mcfood.

• Visited May 2012