“Little Museum, Big Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 210 things to do in Santa Fe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum houses over 3,000 objects in its varied collection of Spanish Colonial art.
Las Vegas, Nevada
33 attraction reviews
“Little Museum, Big Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This museum is one of these little gems that you don't find very often. Situated in an old home on Museum Hill in Santa Fe, New Mexico, this museum houses art and artifacts from the early Spaniards in the area. While all the exhibits are very worthwhile to view, I found the early tools most interesting. Here are things that we use every day like sissors or tongs which are almost identical to what they used back in the 18th century. Too bad the inventor of the sisors wasn't able to get a patent on the product back then!

Also not to be missed are the old ledgers with costs for taxes and costs of items for the home. $8.71 for property taxes in those days. Ah yes! those were the days.

I was fascinated by the tin mirrors. I became quite excited about these works of art when I saw them last year in a hotel. I chased all over Santa Fe last year looking to buy a tin mirror. This year to my astonishment, they were on display in this tiny museum and I got the artist's name. Now to get me one of them shiny mirrors!! The tin is around the mirror and worked into all sorts of artforms. Very beautiful pieces of art. This is a museum for everyone to enjoy, including young children. You will be pleasantly surprised and happy that you visited. Only $5 admission fee for this exciting museum - a genuine bargain for anything today!

Visited August 2012

PA
32 attraction reviews
“Great stop on Museum Hill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This museum is small but also inexpensive. On our visit we saw beautiful furniture, carvings and tinw rock created by the people of New Mexico befor and I. The decade or so after statehood. The tin work frames and chandeliers are gorgeous and evoke a historical era. Don't forget to see the outdoor exhibits including a garden of plants that early artists used for dyes and paintbrushes.

Visited August 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
102 attraction reviews
“Excellent with a caveat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Although not particularly large, this art museum has a very different type of art than you see most places, even in Santa Fe. I guess the word "charming" would be fair. I really enjoyed it, except that photography is not allowed at all. And that is an interest of mine, so I was disappointed, because there are some very nice galleries here. But I won't mark it down for that, because I did so enjoy the artwork and craft work.

Visited May 2012
North Palm Beach, Florida
10 attraction reviews
“A Gem on Museum Hill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

This treasure of a museum is contained in a hacienda-like building that is warm and intimate. Art treasures ranging from jewelry to furniture to devotional objects abound -- all created in the New World, and inspired by European art as taught by the Spanish explorers who settled in New Mexico and surrounding areas. . . The staff is very accessible and eager to share their knowledge of this wonderful collection. A very enjoyable afternoon, which expanded my horizons!

Visited April 2012
Wheaton, Illinois
76 attraction reviews
“Small but nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

While this museum is quite small, it’s entirely worth visiting. Nice historical pieces...of, well...Spanish Colonial Art, obviously! I probably spent about 30 minutes here. I'm not sure if I would return as they seem to be permanent displays, but I'm glad I visited, especially since I was using the 5 museum pass.

(This museum is part of a group of 5 museums that offer a $20 pass good for 4 consecutive days and unlimited admission during those days to all of the 5 museums: New Mexico Museum of Art, New Mexico History Museum/Palace of the Governors, Museum of Spanish Colonial Art, Museum of Indian Arts and Culture and Museum of International Folk Art. Separately, one time admissions would have been $42. Note that this museum is the smallest of those on the pass and its single admission of $6 is less as well. All the others have a single admission fee of $9.)

Keith

Visited July 2010

Been to Museum of Spanish Colonial Art? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Museum of Spanish Colonial Art, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.