“A great place to stay!!” 5 of 5 stars

Old Santa Fe Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 Galisteo Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Ranked #3 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Dennis, Massachusetts
“A great place to stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here during the very busy Indian Market weekend and could not have been more pleased. From the gracious front desk welcome (Thanks, Matt) to the gift bag in our room, nearly every detail was perfect. There is great coffee available all the time along with a delicious breakfast and afternoon snacks. Location is superb--just 5 minutes to nearly everything. Wifi in our room was a problem--but it was fine in the lobby area.

921 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Good New Mexican breakfast with red and green and Starbucks coffee. Wifi worked easily and good enough with multiple devices. Rooms with a patio are 18, 19, 29, 32. Room 19 is over 18 and the noise carries easily. We started in 18 and mgmt ( thanks Danny) easily moved us when we asked.
Comfortable, well maintained, motel, drive up to your room, walk 2 blocks to the square, away from the square noise and traffic. Will be back.

• Stayed August 2013
Monument, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We spent last weekend in Santa Fe with friends and family. It was Indian Market so the town was packed. We've been there many times but this was our first time at Old Santa Fe Inn (OSFI). What a nice property! We were in an upstairs 'suite' with livingoom (frig and micro wave) plus a very large bedroom with a king bed. The hide-e-bed sofa was the best I ever saw - you pulled it out then pushed a button and the mattress inflated to a very comfortable queen sized bed. A hot buffet breakfast was included and had something for everyone - even the little kids. OSFI is only a two block walk from the Plaza. The only reason I haven't rated it 'Excelent' is that it does not have a pool and that would have been great for the kids.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
L.A.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We selected the hotel, based on location, AAA rating, and some internet reviews. Like any hotel that we have never stayed at, we were not 100% sure of the property. Needless to say, our stay was like advertised.

The rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable. Hotel service was good too. Internet service was good. The breakfast was excellent, far superior than what most motels typically offer, and also included 3 choices of fresh fruit. Parking was convenient, as you can park within a few feet of your room.

This is certainly not the least expensive hotel in town. However I think the prices are fair, for what you get.

This hotel will be my first choice on my next visit to Santa Fe!

Room Tip: I would suggest visiting in the winter. Rates are less, and the temps. are actually fairly mild.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My partner and I had the opportunity to stay at the Old Santa Fe inn during Indian Market this year. This time was even better that the other time we stayed during the holidays. I think we had become regulars there. You can tell they were busier, but they make us feel like home. They had goodies for us when we check in. The Chocolates were exquisite, they even gave us a "fancy" water bottle and a bag of local pop corn.
People in the reception was amazing. Nomar check us in and the only thing I can say is that he really is a super star! he is knowledgeable, personable and always with a big smile. (personal advice for management, is that they should use Nomar as their reservations department trainer) The service from the staff in the hotel was great but it was not the story while we made the reservation (the only bad thing). Ernesto and Joey where also great! You really feel like home in that hotel. The location is amazing and really we got a great deal.

Room Tip: Call directly the hotel to book the reservation.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JohnJSmallwood, Manager at Old Santa Fe Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your positive review! We appreciate your kind comments and patronage. With regard to the reservations issue, since we record all of our calls I will find this one, listen to it with our team, and we will determine what we can do better. We will make changes and step up training as appropriate.

Our front desk is far too busy to take reservations calls, so we will have to work to make our reservations department better, and we will. Thanks again.
Berkeley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed in room 2, the upstairs deluxe suite overlooking Galisteo Street, with a view of the New Mexico State Capitol complex, for Indian Market week. Most Santa Fe hotels jack up their rates at that time, and Old Santa Fe Inn is no exception. Having paid a steep premium, I was less forgiving of the room's flaws than I might have otherwise been. The good: location, spaciousness, view, quality bedding, mattress, and carpet. The air conditioning worked well, and was reasonably quiet. The bedroom A/C unit pointed directly at the head of the bed, but was not too uncomfortable at night, when on low. The bad: thin walls, aging plumbing and bathroom ventilator fans. Whenever a certain one of my neighbors took a shower in the morning, it was impossible to sleep. It was so loud that in the evening, it drowned out my TV at normal volume. Room 2 is next to the one over the laundry room. I felt sorry for my neighbors in that room, because that noise was mildly annoying for me. The ugly: peeling paint on the bedroom wall and on the hearth, stained, dirty-looking jets in the creaky Jacuzzi tub, having to jiggle the toilet handle to stop it from leaking, and dirty windows (see photos). I did not get wi-fi in my room on the first day. The next day, I went to use my tablet in the hotel lobby, and the friendly desk clerk offered to help. He phoned the hotel's network administrator first, and then the hotel's service provider tech hotline, long-distance, wherever it was. Fine, but then he asked me to speak with this tech person. After answering questions and listening to a lot of Muzak, one thing led to another, and I was being asked by both the tech people and the hotel, to got to my room, and be available for the rest of the afternoon for a level 2 tech person to call. At that point, I refused to do the hotel management's job. Interestingly enough, wi-fi service was available in my room from that evening on, albeit weak and slow.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
JohnJSmallwood, Manager at Old Santa Fe Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your comments. We are looking into all of the items you mentioned and we will address each of them quickly.
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Based largely on the high Trip Advisor rating we booked the Old Santa Fe Inn for a week's stay several months ago. Santa Fe is a magical place and, while we had a wonderful visit to the city, the Inn was simply "average," neither adding much to our stay nor doing much to make our visit less special. Put differently, we expected more for an "investment" of close to $2000 for a room for a week in what is, admittedly, a pricey city. First, the positives. Location, location, location. Gallisteo is a quiet street off the main downtown tourist scrum--but close enough to be right in the thick of things on Water, San Francisco or the Plaza with a five minute walk. If you don't want to venture out even that far for dinner, there are good choices, such as the Gallisteo Bistro even closer by. A second positive is the generous breakfast offerings which include a burrito bar with all the breakfast burrito fixins, self-made waffles, fresh fruit, good bread options for toast, juices and Starbucks coffee. Bottom line, even though there are great breakfast options nearby that should be tried (Cafe Pasquale's and Clafoutis for sure), the Inn's included breakfast can get you going early for the day trips you should consider (such as Taos) while saving some money to spend in infinite other ways. The room was fine, nothing special, but the bed was really comfortable. So, what fell short? For one, we never felt the warmth and hospitality so many have written about--a thought echoed by the last published posted review I saw before writing this. Upon arrival we asked for a different room because we had booked months and months in advance and, for a week long stay, would have preferred not to be right on Gallisteo (though that turned out to be okay), would have preferred to not have one of the few upstairs rooms and would have preferred to have a room with parking outside the door which included all rooms other than the few located upstairs. Our request was dismissed as impossible out of hand with no effort to see if it good be accommodated until the next day. Interestingly, earned the next morning that our ate arriving traveling companions were located in a room exactly like the one we were requesting hours earlier. Anyway, the room was, nevertheless, okay and we stayed with it. That said, it had its quirks including a wall mounted AC unit seemingly aimed at the heads of sleeping guests. Even on stuffy nights we found ourselves having to turn up the AC above our comfort level and/ or really cover up to avoid the overnight "wind chill." Furniture in the room was oddly located such that my spouse s clothing was hung in a chest far removed from the bed and bathroom right by the room's entry door. My chest was right by the bathroom door such that if I was getting something out of it, one's partner is trapped in the bathroom. Wifi is prominently advertised by he hotel but it is largely a myth no matter where we were on the property. I'm writing this from the Holiday Inn Express at the Albuquerque airport from a room in which I've been able to easily catch up on email and get on the web, something that was mostly impossible at the Old Santa Fe Inn. We were happy to find small bottles of water in the room upon arrival...but they were never replaced. A couple of times during the week we asked for water at the reception if we were heading out for a walk or day trip and they were always given...but seemingly begrudgingly as if we had no business asking. In the final analysis, I'm posting this review because of the bad feeling we left the Inn with at today's departure. After staying for a week we asked for a late checkout, 1 pm instead of the usual 11am, since we didn't need to rush to Albuquerque. Much like when we checked in the request was dismissed out of hand and we were told that if we did not check out by noon "the computer would charge us for another day." So we checked out on time, packed our bags, loaded the car and, throwing caution to the Wind, left it parked in the Inn's lot while we walked to the Plaza area to enjoy our last few hours in Sant Fe. We returned for our car around 2:30pm and stopped at reception to ask for a couple of bottles of water for the road ahead to Albuquerque. We were told, after a week long stay costing almost $2000 that they would cost a dollar each since we had already checked out. Seriously? I'm afraid that this was the attitude that encapsulated our stay. It simply wasn't welcoming and, had it been so, I think we'd be much more forgiving of the relatively minor bumps we encountered during the week. I can't say definitively that we'd never stay there again, but I would certainly search hard for alternatives before it would be my hotel of choice in this wonderful city.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your patronage and for writing with your comments. We have noted your comments and we are working to address each of them as needed for our future guests. We hope to have a chance to provide a better experience for you in the future.

Been to Old Santa Fe Inn? Share your experiences!