“A memorable stay in a memorable place” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free parking
Ranked #3 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
London
“A memorable stay in a memorable place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This review is long overdue, but I had to leave it. I stayed at the Old Santa Fe Inn in July 2010 (not March 2012 but this is the earliest date I could select whilst writing the review) as I was driving across the US. I booked directly with the hotel as they can offer you a better rate if you mention that you've seen a cheaper price elsewhere (which I had). This stop was a welcome break from staying in cheap motels and always being on the go. It was my birthday so I decided to treat myself to somewhere nicer and stay for a couple of days to recharge my batteries.

I missed the hotel first time round as I was driving late at night and wasn't expecting the hotel to be so near the town centre, but found it eventually. It is in a fantastic location, just a couple of minutes' walk from the main square and centre where all the shops, restaurants, entertainment etc are. For the price, the location and accommodation were fantastic.

The rooms are homely and comfortable, decorated in warm tones with a Spanish feel, in keeping with Santa Fe's history and architecture. Having said that, I wasn't quite happy with my first room, as it was on the ground floor (like all of the rooms) and near the front so felt quite exposed. The manager on duty, a lovely lady called Alex, offered me a better room (and one of the only ones available) near the back of the complex, which had a fireplace and jacuzzi but was darker as the window was slightly obscured by trees. I have to admit I did an injustice and got grumpy (I think the miles on the road might have got to me), and almost decided to shorten my stay because of the room, but I'm very glad I didn't! I also thank Alex for her gracious attitude in being flexible and patient with me - the room was actually very nice, and I am very glad I stayed 3 nights in such a lovely place.

On top of this, the breakfast served in the morning was delicious - fresh waffles and juice. They also serve delicious warm cookies in the afternoon, and lemon water throughout the day, very refreshing in the baking New Mexico summer heat! The reception area was also very nice for just sitting and reading, it was more like a living room. The internet connection was also good. The service was excellent, and I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Very nice old motel. Well maintained and updated. Great location just 1 block from square. Easy walk to shopping and great restaurants. Really good breakfast buffet. Friendly staff and a really good "bang for the buck". Would recommend.

Room Tip: Opt for the kiva rooms in the wintertime.....well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NORTH HIGHLANDS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Wonderful if small motel close to Old Town. Best breakfast while on a trip of 3 weeks. Wonderful customer service--outstanding in fact. Electronic bar on table for all my plugin's. That was a real bonus. Beds comfortable. A nice grab bar in shower. Have had both hips replaced so that was comforting to see.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Old Santa Fe Inn started as a residence and was later converted to a Route 66 motel. It has been very nicely remodeled and oozes with Santa Fe charm. Check-in was efficient and friendly and Danny pleasantly changed our room from a second floor to first. He gave us maps and directions, recommended restaurants within walking distance to the hotel, and offered freshly baked cookies with tea and coffee in the library. It was indeed very pleasant to relax on the leather sofas in the library and also in the lobby next to the kiva fireplace.

Our room was very small but nicely appointed -- the mellow colors of the linens and carpet were very restful, the furnishings were in good repair, and the art and solid wood doors made for a homey residence . The free-standing armoire was sufficient for our hanging clothes, but there were no drawers for folding clothes, so we had to live out of our suitcases for four days. There were tables on both sides of the bed with lamps that provided sufficient lighting for reading, but there were no side chairs, so we could read only in bed. There was one straight-back chair at the table, but it wasn't suitable for lounging/reading. The bed was comfortable and the room and bathroom were very clean. One very convenient feature in the room was a multiple-plug-in attached to the top of the table which made recharging cell phone and camera batteries easy. Our key cards had to be refreshed daily as they flashed red more often than they flashed green.

A big plus in starved-for-space Santa Fe, was the free parking at the hotel. The lot was full every night, so it was good that most restaurants were within walking distance.

The complimentary breakfast in the charming dining room was very nice. The Burrito Bar also had scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon, and of course, New Mexico green chile and red salsa. On the lighter side, were huge bowls of yogurts, cottage cheese, granola, instant oatmeal, and make-your-own waffles.

We would stay at this hotel again, but we would inquire if they had larger rooms available. I gave the room a "very good" rating -- the decor sort of trumped the tiny space.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Indian, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We visit Santa Fe once a year and have stayed in a variety of places. This is the best value for the location, easy walking distance to the plaza and very close to Cafe Pasqual's, where we always go for mole. Our room was a double queen junior suite (#28). On the plus side, the beds were comfortable, with attractive bedding, and it was very quiet. On the down side, it was very cramped so calling it a suite was misleading. The "seating area" is the entry to the room. One night is was 14 degrees so we really enjoyed the kiva fireplace, although the glass needed cleaning. The breakfast area is a lovely room, with cloth napkins on each table, as well as condiments, which were nice touches. I'm picky about coffee and it was good. The hot breakfast including red and green chili to add to your burrito, tamales, make your own waffles, fruit, yogurt and cereal. The staff is friendly and helpful. The service is much better than the "boutique" Inn at Loretto. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Most of the Inn is one story and most of the rooms are not on the street. If noise is an issue for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Old Santa fe inn staff, seems to really know what they are doing. Since the moment I booked the reservation to the moment I left the property they made me feel special. I am glad that I choose that hotel over others. The location is perfect, just a few block from the square. My room had a fireplace, a separate living area from the room and two TVs. We attended a local party over the holidays and everything was perfect i couldn't ask for more! The breakfast the next morning was amazing. Looking forward to my next visit!!! Good job guys!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I love using tripadvisor to help in finding those little gems as well as luxury. This past October 2012 we stayed at this property and fell in love. We were traveling with the family "Aussie" which they have dedicated rooms for. From check in to check out we were blown away at the cost, service and amenities of this wonderful motel and it's staff! We will be referring this to all of our friends as they pass thru the Santa Fe area, but we would prefer to keep it to ourselves!

Room Tip: We were traveling with our pet and we felt our rooms were as well located on the property as anyone...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Santa Fe Inn? Share your experiences!