“great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Maryland USA
“great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel twice. It has great rooms and bathrooms. Close (three blocks) to the plaza. The free breakfast is terrific. Waffles, eggs, bacon...

• Stayed November 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

We stayed in Room 15 while visiting relatives over Thanksgiving. We've stayed in several hotels in Santa Fe and this was the best so far, and quite reasonable (I booked through Hotels.com and found that our rate was WAY less than the posted rate on the door). The location is convenient, just a few short blocks to the plaza and to one of our favorite breakfast and lunch spots, The Guadalupe Cafe. I appreciated the much better than average lighting in the room, with multiple lamps, most with 3-way bulbs. The water was hot and the bed quite comfortable, with a down comforter and an additional thick blanket. As others have mentioned, the complimentary breakfast bar is fantastic. We had the option of scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, along with tortillas which you could warm on a hot plate and add cheese and sauces to make a breakfast burrito or quesadilla; there was also a waffle maker, granola and yogurt, fruit, and a variety of tasty artisanal-style breads for toasting. There was a microwave in the breakfast room too, should you need one. And good strong coffee!

The Inn is also close to Cerrillos, making it a quick drive to Whole Foods, and other favorite restaurants - Tecolote Cafe and Mu Du Noodles. Enjoy your visit!

• Liked — Location, room lighting, breakfast, free wireless
  • Disliked — Gravel parking lot
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2007

I've stayed at the Old Santa Fe Inn a number of times, and I have always been pleased with the accomodations, the staff and the location.

This time I stayed in Room #2, a deluxe suite. I got a terrific deal for the room at Expedia, paying less for the suite than I would have paid for a smaller room. It pays to do the research! The room door is located in an awkward location near the street, and the door opens into a stairway that leads up to the room. There is a fireplace, microwave, mini-fridge and wet-bar area. The windows look out across Galisteo street onto the Bataan Memorial on the grounds of the New Mexico State Capitol. The separate bedroom is large and feels very homey, with understated Santa Fe style decor. The bathroom comes with a jetted tub, which unfortunately creaks when using the shower. There is a big counter space around the sink, and the only problem I had with the room was a burned-out light over the sink (argh!).

There are only a couple of things that you should beware of if this is your first stay here. First, don't expect to check in before the posted check-in time of 4pm. I have learned from my previous stays that this is just the way it is. I arrived this time between noon and 1pm knowing this, but I did let the deskclerk know I was there, and he gave me a parking tag for my vehicle and got all the paperwork out of the way, so that when the room was ready, all I would need to pick up was the key. Second, although the Inn is an easy 3 block walk from the Plaza area, after dark the lighting along that area is limited, and I would recommend being alert if you are out and about at night.

Overall, this is a well-maintained, reasonably priced property that I'm happy to recommend to others.

• Liked — The do-it-yourself breakfast burritos!
  • Disliked — Noise from room below
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I stayed in room 25 which had an adjoining room option that I didn't use. My room had a fireplace, a desk/working area, an extra sink, fridge, and two televisions. My bathroom was small but I used the jacuzzi tub to help prepare an awesome bubble bath. I had a king sized bed all to myself and it was very comfy. I would have preferred a paved parking lot to make moving heavy luggage with wheels a little easier but that was a very minor pain. I got to see two other rooms: room 33 was a little dark and small but still very comfortable; and room 412 (?) that had a private roof-top patio which was very nice to sit outside with a group of friends to enjoy the warm air and stars. I thought my room was tastefully decorated and was quite comfortable. The hotel is within walking distance of two fantastic restaurants: Tomasitos and (I forgot the name of the second one). Everything seemed to be within walking distance so that was very pleasant. I wish that they would check the remote control batteries but other than that, great place to stay with a friendly staff and cute decor.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dead batteries
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
chicago,il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

We arrived on a Tues and stayed through Saturday. We were very impressed with the property. The front desk was so welcoming and quick to answer all of my questions. I always have plenty. This is not a upscale hotel but that is not what we wanted. We normally book Bed and Breakfasts but as our daughters were joining us later in the week we decided to stay at a hotel. Much to our surprise the feel of this motel was more like a B &B. We loved talking to the other guests at Breakfast from which we ate so much that lunch wasn't necessary. The beds were comfortable and everything was spotless. Tea and Coffee were available at all times. In the afternoon fresh cookies and fruit were placed out. I liked that they had a hugh book of menus so that we could shop our dinner before going and they were wonderful about calling when we needed a reservation. When our daughters arrived they were booked but went out of their way to find a place for them to stay that was reasonable. On our next trip we will absolutely book this hotel again

• Liked — location and the friendliness
  • Disliked — the location of our room was next to the maid station and they started work at 7:30 so the dryer woke us up
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2007

Hotel is in a good location. It was a motor lodge before extensive renovations. Charming rooms (although small) with modern luxurious bathrooms. Gravel parking lot (noisy and dirty). My main problem was that I pre-paid via Orbitz, specifically requesting a smoking room. Upon arrival, I was informed that the hotel does not offer smoking rooms, and the hotel would not refund my money. I found that to be a breech of the contract I had made (Orbitz said that smoking rooms were available, and that is what I had reserved), and wanted a refund, to stay elsewhere. The hotel refused.
The hotel is within walking distance of the Plaza, although to walk around that area and see the overpriced tourist shops takes less than an hour.

• Liked — Charming room
  • Disliked — breech of reservation contract
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
missoula, mt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

This is an extremely nice hotel for the money. We paid less than $100 for a regular room. At that price, we were expecting a basic motel. But the room was very nicely furnished with classy southwestern decor. It was very clean and included a good selection of shampoos, conditioners, lotions, etc. We also had free internet, TV,etc. The bed was very comfortable. Towels were fluffy and there were plenty of them.

The breakfast was at the very high end of free hotel breakfasts. It included a good variety of hot entrees, fruit, bread, pastries, etc. Breakfast was served in an attractive breakfast room--a major step up from what you would normally expect for a free hotel buffet.

The service was good. People were friendly and efficent.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is less than a block from the historic downtown area or Santa Fe. You can walk to all restaraunts and attractions.

If you are looking for a much better than average hotel to use as a base for exploring the area, I highly recommend the Old Santa Fe Inn. It is deffinitly not a resort. People who want a hotel with a lot of common areas, a pool, a spa, etc. may not appreciate this one as much as we did. But overall, this place was a great value and a great experience. We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — great value, great location, classy and comfortable room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Old Santa Fe Inn? Share your experiences!