“Home in Santa Fe” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dunshee's

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Dunshee's
Ranked #8 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Southern California
“Home in Santa Fe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

My friend and I felt very much at home in Susan's peaceful B&B. We chose the casita, which offered us both a space to share and privacy. We found the kitchen nicely stocked with fresh fruit, muffins, juices and milk. We enjoyed a fire in the kiva fireplace every evening.

Dunshee's is tucked away in a residential neighborhood within walking distance of the galleries on Canyon and even the plaza if you're an avid walker (it's about a mile.) Museum Hill is close by in the other direction. As you walk to Canyon, you follow the Acequia Madre or "Mother Ditch" which was built about 400 years ago during the founding of Santa Fe.

An Audubon wildlife preserve is just a few blocks away, if you're into birding. We saw a gorgeous magpie without even trying.

We loved the feeling of living in an authentic Santa Fe neighborhood for four days and three nights, and having easy access to the best of the city.

• Liked — Decor is not over or underdone...comfortable and homey.
  • Disliked — Hard to find the first time...the address is confusing.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Los Gatos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

We really enjoyed our recent stay at Dunshee's. We stayed in the main house "suite" and loved all the space that it encompassed. The "suite" included the dining area, livinging room, outdoor patio and a large bedroom suite with private bath. Because the Casitas house (the second rental) is self contained and separate from the "suite" we rarely saw the Casitas renters and we felt we were in our own private paradise. Susan has done a wonderful job with the gardens and the house decor. She prepared us wonderful breakfasts and she was a friendly and an engaging hostess. We were within walking distance of several galleries in the residential area surrounding Dunshee's, though the main town plaza required a short drive. We loved our stay at Dunshee's and will certainly book our stay there again when we return. Felt we received excellent value for our $140 a night.

• Liked — Spacious, beautiful surrounding, great breakfasts
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

I would like to write this review while it is fresh in my mind.

My wife and I stayed for ten days Jan 8-18, 2008. We had absolutely no problems and thought the location, service, and food ideal. Dunshees will be our first choice to stay in when we make another vacation trip to Santa Fe. We liked it so much, the availability dates may be the determining factor in how we schedule our next vacation in Santa Fe.

Some people commented about dogs and housekeeping in 2006 reviews, but we did not find it an issue at all. Her two dogs (which are large and friendly) we always kept in her side of the house and I thought the level of cleanliness fine. The net of it is, if you don't like animals or older houses, stay in a motel.

We had a chance to see the casita next door and found it quite spacious. My wife speculated on renting it for a girls' get together for a week's shopping and R&R.

Personally, my wife and I prefer to stay in the suite in Susan's house because it is almost as much room and conveniences as the casita AND you get Susan cooking wonderful gourmet breakfasts. The suite has a private entrance, refrigerator, microwave, some basic utensils such as bowls, spoons, forks, wine glasses and corkscrews. Drive down to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or Wild Oats (all within less than ten minutes drive) and stock up or take out from The Plaza Restaurant some nights. You also get a very fine selection of books to peruse in her library.

My wife liked that it was about a ten minute drive to Ten Thousand Waves Spa.

Canyon Road and all its galleries and fancy restaurants were in easy walking distance. Museum Hill is a short drive away. Actually, all of downtown is in walking distance if you're not wedded to your car.

Dunshees offers plenty of off street parking for the Canyon Road area--a savings in itself. It is very quiet.

Susan was helpful with suggestions about where to go for a few practical things we needed (post office, groceries) or even one of the many chocolate shops.

Overall, we LOVED it and would have stayed longer if we had known how nice both our hostess was and how convenient it was to everything we wanted to do.

sclptrjoel, Raleigh, NC

• Liked — very roomy, outstanding location, excellent food,
  • Disliked — erratic WiFi sometimes was the only thing I could think of.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

Firstly, I would say that the whole B&B was at an excellent level of cleanliness. Whether or not they've picked up on the previous reviews I don't know but it was simply not an issue when we stayed.

Secondly, I think the point about dogs though is a valid one. They are beautiful dogs and very friendly but, if you are not a big fan of dogs - especially big dogs - then choose elsewhere.

I hope you are dog fans though because the place is lovely. We stayed in the casita for 2 nights and the accommodation in terms of size, comfort and cleanliness couldn't be bettered. The breakfasts were cooked to order and fantastic (different each day). You have sole use of the patio (apart from the dogs!) whoch is huge plus living room, 12' dining table and private bathroom, the bed is about the most comfortable I've ever slept in (plus it has it's own fireplace).

Also, both the owners are warm, kind, friendly and helpful.

The location is also worth stressing - perfect for walking downtown and 5 minutes from Geronimo - best restaurant in Santa Fe!

• Liked — The size of the accommodation and price
  • Disliked — Nothing - wished we could have stayed longer
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

My friend and I stayed at Dunshee’s Bed & Breakfast on a recent trip to Santa Fe, NM. It is a small property built in the traditional pueblo style located off Canyon Rd. It has two units to rent, one is a suite connected to the main house and the other is a separate casita. We arrived quite late the first night and the prop rioter, Susan Dunshee, waited up for us and gave us a warm greeting. We stayed in the suite and were pleased to see how big it was. It is filled with books, folk art, and antiques, has a large harvest table, Mexican tiled bathroom, a kiva fireplace in the bedroom and two patios. The bedroom has a queen bed and there is a pull-out sofa in the living room. My friend took the bedroom and I slept on the sofa bed. I was pleasantly surprised to find the sofa bed was comfortable enough to get a good night’s sleep. To signal Susan that you’re ready for breakfast, you open the door that leads directly into her kitchen. She springs into action and serves a gourmet hot breakfast on the patio. Unfortunately, her dogs spring into action too. They are large dogs (a German Shepard and a Malamute) that gallop through the suite to get to the back yard. They are very friendly and love to play which means they jump up on you, slobber on you, drop their chew toys in your lap while your eating, and put their noses on the table hoping for a hand out. Since the doors stay open most of the morning, they have free run of the yard and the suite and don’t hesitate to join you in the bathroom or bedroom. This explains why there’s an extraordinary amount of dog hair everywhere! On the second day we began to notice just how dirty the place really was. The cob webs, the dust, the ring around the tub, the un-swept patio, the windows smeared with dog drool and all the dog hair were more than we could stand. Luckily, when I made the reservation, there were only 3 nights available so we were able to move to another B & B for the rest of our vacation. While there are several good reasons to stay at Dunshee’s, I feel the bad far outweighs the good.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

My husband & I stayed a week in late June/early July 2006. My husband wasn't too keen on staying at B&Bs because he likes his privacy & space but he loved Susan's B&B because it was basically like having your own apartment with dining area, living area, bedroom, & bathroom. There are 2 kivas (fireplaces), one in the living area & one in the bedroom. There is only 1 door connecting the main house (from the kitchen) to the B&B private dining area & Susan leaves it closed unless she is bringing breakfast to you. We chose to stay at her B&B because she also has a mini-fridge, small cooler, and all the other things you'd need for a picnic outing or eating leftovers - which we had a lot of, so it saved us money. It was great coming back from our daily outings finding everything straightened up and the fresh cookie jar refilled! Breakfasts were delicious, creative, and always incorporated fresh fruits - papaya with raspberry puree, eggs scrambled with fresh herbs (probably from her garden), delicious cheese egg souffle, fresh hot baked goods, fresh squeezed orange juice daily... We ate out on the private portal overlooking the gardens every morning. There is also a private courtyard attached to the B&B as well. Susan is a great hostess, she is friendly and helpful but also gives you your privacy. This B&B has its own separate entrance. It stays nice & cool in the hot summer!

The only negative is that the B&B is not as clean as I would have liked it. Looks like dusting doesn't get done very often - there are a lot of things to dust! There are lots of artwork & antiques. I am also allergic to certain pet hair & I was sure the dogs must have been on the loveseats in the living area. If you don't like large dogs this is probably not the B&B for you. She has 1 large Malamut & her boyfriend brings his HUGE German Shephard over for playtime. We didn't mind since we love dogs but they are quite rowdy.

All in all, we would recommend this B&B to the right people. Although we did not see the Casita (separate apartment) we think it is a great deal & next time would like to rent that, although we felt very comfortable in the B&B side of her property. We would definitely stay here again. Her property is close to many attractions (The Plaza, Canyon Road & art galleries, etc) but also very private & quiet because it's tucked in a neighborhood & down a one-way road.

• Liked — Fresh homemade cookies, fresh homemade breakfasts, "the little things" that other B&Bs don't often offer.
  • Disliked — Wished it was a little cleaner for my tastes, but my husband didn't find any problems with it (and others may not be as picky as I am).
  • Tips/Secrets — If the Casita (apartment) is all booked up, don't hesitate to book the B&B side because its just as big as an apartment & very private as well!
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
El Paso, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2006

We stayed at Dunshee's the first weekend in January 2006. Susan (the proprietor) has been hosting for more than a decade and is very professional. The home-cooked breakfasts (silver-dollar pancakes one day, green chile egg souffle the next) were great. Dunshee's is located only three blocks from Canyon Rd., the famous art gallery area. El Farolito, the tapas restaurant, is within easy walking distance of the B&B.

Our room was in the main house; there is also a casita available, which we did not see. Our "room" was actually an entire wing of the house - the bedroom has a lovely kiva fireplace, with firewood included. From the bed you'll have a view out onto an herb garden.

One caveat, if you're allergic to pets, or afraid of dogs. Susan has two friendly dogs.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Dunshee's? Share your experiences!