“Best place to stay in town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dunshee's

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Dunshee's
Save Saved
You added Dunshee's to your Saves list
986 Acequia Madre, Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Ranked #4 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
altadena
“Best place to stay in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Susan's B&B is tucked away on a quiet street, but walkable to Canyon where one can eat and wander. I have stayed in the suite and in the casita; both are charming and comfortable. This is the true Santa Fe, I know, because I lived there for three years; after staying at Dunshee's the first time, I moved into the same area shortly thereafter. My sister has been travelling from Boulder for 20 years, staying at Susan's each year. In addition, Susan is a true Santa Fean and a great cook!

Room Tip: Either place....if you stay in the casita, you can cook for yourself and even in the suite, there is...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

We stayed with Susan in the early winter of 2007 between Thanksgiving and Christmas for a long weekend in Santa Fe. It was our second time in Sant Fe, first time at Dunshees. I dont think I would ever want to stay anywhere else! For us, it was perfection! We loved the dogs and made us miss ours less, we loved the location off of Canyon Rd., we loved the plentiful and homemade food each morning, I still crave the Green Chile Souffle! We loved talking to Susan each morning, but also, she was very respectful, if you are the type to just be on your own and have privacy, she is willing to take your cues. We actually asked to have the dogs come in by us in the mornings and encouraged conversation, but if you want just the opposite , that would fine too. Its affordable and a pleasure to be in a home filled with art, music, books and your own Kiva in the bedroom. I hope I am able to be there next time when the gardens are in bloom and more time can be spent outside. This was a perfect laid back place for us to stay.

Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

My friend and I felt very much at home in Susan's peaceful B&B. We chose the casita, which offered us both a space to share and privacy. We found the kitchen nicely stocked with fresh fruit, muffins, juices and milk. We enjoyed a fire in the kiva fireplace every evening.

Dunshee's is tucked away in a residential neighborhood within walking distance of the galleries on Canyon and even the plaza if you're an avid walker (it's about a mile.) Museum Hill is close by in the other direction. As you walk to Canyon, you follow the Acequia Madre or "Mother Ditch" which was built about 400 years ago during the founding of Santa Fe.

An Audubon wildlife preserve is just a few blocks away, if you're into birding. We saw a gorgeous magpie without even trying.

We loved the feeling of living in an authentic Santa Fe neighborhood for four days and three nights, and having easy access to the best of the city.

• Liked — Decor is not over or underdone...comfortable and homey.
  • Disliked — Hard to find the first time...the address is confusing.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Gatos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

We really enjoyed our recent stay at Dunshee's. We stayed in the main house "suite" and loved all the space that it encompassed. The "suite" included the dining area, livinging room, outdoor patio and a large bedroom suite with private bath. Because the Casitas house (the second rental) is self contained and separate from the "suite" we rarely saw the Casitas renters and we felt we were in our own private paradise. Susan has done a wonderful job with the gardens and the house decor. She prepared us wonderful breakfasts and she was a friendly and an engaging hostess. We were within walking distance of several galleries in the residential area surrounding Dunshee's, though the main town plaza required a short drive. We loved our stay at Dunshee's and will certainly book our stay there again when we return. Felt we received excellent value for our $140 a night.

• Liked — Spacious, beautiful surrounding, great breakfasts
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

I would like to write this review while it is fresh in my mind.

My wife and I stayed for ten days Jan 8-18, 2008. We had absolutely no problems and thought the location, service, and food ideal. Dunshees will be our first choice to stay in when we make another vacation trip to Santa Fe. We liked it so much, the availability dates may be the determining factor in how we schedule our next vacation in Santa Fe.

Some people commented about dogs and housekeeping in 2006 reviews, but we did not find it an issue at all. Her two dogs (which are large and friendly) we always kept in her side of the house and I thought the level of cleanliness fine. The net of it is, if you don't like animals or older houses, stay in a motel.

We had a chance to see the casita next door and found it quite spacious. My wife speculated on renting it for a girls' get together for a week's shopping and R&R.

Personally, my wife and I prefer to stay in the suite in Susan's house because it is almost as much room and conveniences as the casita AND you get Susan cooking wonderful gourmet breakfasts. The suite has a private entrance, refrigerator, microwave, some basic utensils such as bowls, spoons, forks, wine glasses and corkscrews. Drive down to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or Wild Oats (all within less than ten minutes drive) and stock up or take out from The Plaza Restaurant some nights. You also get a very fine selection of books to peruse in her library.

My wife liked that it was about a ten minute drive to Ten Thousand Waves Spa.

Canyon Road and all its galleries and fancy restaurants were in easy walking distance. Museum Hill is a short drive away. Actually, all of downtown is in walking distance if you're not wedded to your car.

Dunshees offers plenty of off street parking for the Canyon Road area--a savings in itself. It is very quiet.

Susan was helpful with suggestions about where to go for a few practical things we needed (post office, groceries) or even one of the many chocolate shops.

Overall, we LOVED it and would have stayed longer if we had known how nice both our hostess was and how convenient it was to everything we wanted to do.

sclptrjoel, Raleigh, NC

• Liked — very roomy, outstanding location, excellent food,
  • Disliked — erratic WiFi sometimes was the only thing I could think of.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

Firstly, I would say that the whole B&B was at an excellent level of cleanliness. Whether or not they've picked up on the previous reviews I don't know but it was simply not an issue when we stayed.

Secondly, I think the point about dogs though is a valid one. They are beautiful dogs and very friendly but, if you are not a big fan of dogs - especially big dogs - then choose elsewhere.

I hope you are dog fans though because the place is lovely. We stayed in the casita for 2 nights and the accommodation in terms of size, comfort and cleanliness couldn't be bettered. The breakfasts were cooked to order and fantastic (different each day). You have sole use of the patio (apart from the dogs!) whoch is huge plus living room, 12' dining table and private bathroom, the bed is about the most comfortable I've ever slept in (plus it has it's own fireplace).

Also, both the owners are warm, kind, friendly and helpful.

The location is also worth stressing - perfect for walking downtown and 5 minutes from Geronimo - best restaurant in Santa Fe!

• Liked — The size of the accommodation and price
  • Disliked — Nothing - wished we could have stayed longer
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

My friend and I stayed at Dunshee’s Bed & Breakfast on a recent trip to Santa Fe, NM. It is a small property built in the traditional pueblo style located off Canyon Rd. It has two units to rent, one is a suite connected to the main house and the other is a separate casita. We arrived quite late the first night and the prop rioter, Susan Dunshee, waited up for us and gave us a warm greeting. We stayed in the suite and were pleased to see how big it was. It is filled with books, folk art, and antiques, has a large harvest table, Mexican tiled bathroom, a kiva fireplace in the bedroom and two patios. The bedroom has a queen bed and there is a pull-out sofa in the living room. My friend took the bedroom and I slept on the sofa bed. I was pleasantly surprised to find the sofa bed was comfortable enough to get a good night’s sleep. To signal Susan that you’re ready for breakfast, you open the door that leads directly into her kitchen. She springs into action and serves a gourmet hot breakfast on the patio. Unfortunately, her dogs spring into action too. They are large dogs (a German Shepard and a Malamute) that gallop through the suite to get to the back yard. They are very friendly and love to play which means they jump up on you, slobber on you, drop their chew toys in your lap while your eating, and put their noses on the table hoping for a hand out. Since the doors stay open most of the morning, they have free run of the yard and the suite and don’t hesitate to join you in the bathroom or bedroom. This explains why there’s an extraordinary amount of dog hair everywhere! On the second day we began to notice just how dirty the place really was. The cob webs, the dust, the ring around the tub, the un-swept patio, the windows smeared with dog drool and all the dog hair were more than we could stand. Luckily, when I made the reservation, there were only 3 nights available so we were able to move to another B & B for the rest of our vacation. While there are several good reasons to stay at Dunshee’s, I feel the bad far outweighs the good.

Been to Dunshee's? Share your experiences!