“keep going back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jalapeno's - CLOSED

Jalapeno's
422 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87505-6964 (Downtown)
505-983-8431
Neighborhood: Downtown
Olathe, Kansas
“keep going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

When ever we return to our vacation home in Santa Fe, Jalapeno's is on our list of first places to stop. I continue to read the reviews about the service and food, some not very flattering.
Although there have been a couple of times the wait for food has been a bit longer than I would like, the wait is always worth it, as the food continues to be fabulous.
Many small businesses have difficulty with loyal and reliable employees and perhaps on some days, Jalapeno's has fallen victim to this.
We have not experienced anything but friendly service and great food. Don't let the negative reviews keep you away.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Wales
“Superb waitress and fun night!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I visited this restaurant a couple of weeks ago with 3 friends, also from the UK. (I think it was Tues 5th August.) There was one VERY OVERWORKED waitress dealing with 4 busy tables on the patio. If it were not for her friendliness and charm, we probably wouldn't have stayed as it took a while to get served. However, Heather was delightful and as attentive as it is possible to be in situations like these. She made the whole experience. The food was worth waiting for and we also spoke to the very exhausted chef to thank him. The owners/management of this place are very lucky to have such great staff. This is a really good restaurant that would be brilliant if it were staffed adequately! Lemonface, Wales, UK.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Absolutely terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My sister and my twin daughters (age 3) ate there today. Not only was the service horrible (only one server for entire patio and no servers inside that I could see), the food was verge of inedible. Moreover, we both have stomach aches. They claim to use all natural and homemade ingredients, but my sister's and my taco salad was nothing more than a slop of canned refried beans with what appeared to be canned beef and only half a cup of shredded lettuce. There was virtually no flavor and it was floating in grease. When we asked the server for some salsa, she failed to bring it until the taco was all but absorbed by the juices of the canned food. It was truly disappointing. I ordered my daughters a cheese quesadilla which was fine, but nothing special. I cannot see how this place is in business with nobody working there save one waitress and some kitchen helpers. In addition, I had to go inside to get the water pitcher as there was nobody to refill empty glasses. I spend most summers here and eat out most lunches; I will never return to this place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Jalapenos155, Owner at Jalapeno's, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
My staff and I feel this is a review from a competitor. This review is a complete lie and inaccurate.
First of all these ladies walked in with an agrressive attitude from the beginning. As the owner and working that day with my staff we recall their visit vividly. They were the first customers with no other tables and they aggressively asked for their food and drink. The other tables that arrived were after they had got their food. There was an additional busser helping the waitress. I walked outside and saw my staff take them the salsa and they were angry it wasn't immediately after they asked for it. They ate all of their food and plates were completely finished including shell of taco salad. I observed my waitress smile and be as friendly as she could be. Their waters had just been filled when they immediatley came inside asking for a pitcher which was taken to them while they still had water in their glasses. We work very hard to make all of our food fresh and this was a lie.
Vienna, Austria
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Good location, but food is not worth that money.

I ordered a burrito, my girl got a salad with seal stripes on it.

I was hungry to terminated that burrito, was't bad but nothing special i would order again. Sadly my girl her salad was just terrible, salad wasn't fresh at all, it had a flavor like lying around for days. tomatoes just taste old, meat was just chewy and uneatable.

Artesia, New Mexico
“Nice breakfast in pleasant little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We were in town for our annual Santa Fe Opera trip and decided to try Jalapeno's for breakfast one morning as it was a short walk from our hotel (it's very convenient to those staying downtown....just a couple of blocks south of Alameda almost to the Roundhouse). I had the Eggs Benedict with green chile and it was very good with the right amount of heat from the Chile (spicy but not overly so). Others with us had the Huevos Rancheros and enjoyed them a great deal. We sat outside on a lovely Sunday morning. Was not crowded at all compared to many of the downtown breakfast places where one has to wait for a table. Small quaint little place . Portions very generous and service was good. Very good value for Santa Fe...highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere