“Wonderful experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Purcell, Oklahoma
12 attraction reviews
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Carlos catered to my 50 year old husband, my 8 year old child and my 76 year old dad. He is absolutely amazing. They all said it was a trip of a lifetime!!!! They caught about 25 fish. They took a private tour to a lake. Definitely worth the money.

Visited June 2013

San Diego, California
50 attraction reviews
“Tom O”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife has never fished and had no ambition or desire to go fishing but finally I talked her into trying fly fishing with a guide. So last December she allowed me to book a fly fishing trip with the Reel Life which turned out to be alot of fun, so much, she wanted to go again.
So here we are in Santa Fe again in April and we she wanted to fish again, at my slight suggestion. Last December we had a guide by the name of Jesse Lee, who has an outstanding personality and works to make his guests enjoy fishing, especially if they have never fished before. I in turn, have fished all over the world from the South Pacific, Mexico, US continent to Alaska for Salmon.This includes catching big fish (250# Marlin), Salmon, Tuna(240#) to small fish as I learned to fish in the Lake of the Woods (Boundry Waters) in northern Minnesota.
Last December we fished the Chama river and this time we fished the Pecos river, of course that means catch and release. The trip, full or 1/2 day will require you to obtain a state license but everything else is provided. Waders, boots, flys (wet and dry), poles and of course the excellent guided services if you desire. Just driving up the valley along side the Pecos River to the fishing area outside of Pecos, NM, 40 minutes from Santa Fe, we impressed how beautiful the landscape was. Mountains and trees with the river flowing through the valley. This is a place you would not normally see unless you camp up the valley or come here to fish as the road eventually is a dead end so you have to go back the way you come, The trip was worth the scenery alone without the fishing. However, fishing we did. In a half day trip, with the help of selecting the places to fish, I caught 6 Rainbow and 5 wild Brown trout. My wife herself caught 9 mixed trout and had a great time. Yes, we snagged a few branches or rocks but the guide was always there to unsnag you line and help you with the fishing. If like me, you have done this many times before, he lets you alone or makes suggestions in types of casting to reach certain pools where the fish hide which makes the fishing part of the trip great. Did my wife have a great time? You bet, so much she again want to contine to fish here again when we return to Santa Fe.
It may be difficult for smaller children to do this type of guided fishing on a small river or a rushing river like the Rio Grande but I'm sure, as I have been told, there are places that you can take the kids. If you want to do something fun while in town, definitely sign up with the Reel Life to do a trip. If you are capable and have all your own gear or even need to rent gear, the staff is well qualifed and they know the area. Remember, Jesse, he's a great guide.

Visited April 2013