“Rio en Medio Trail and Falls and Cerros del Rio Volcanic Fields” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 78 Activities in Santa Fe
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Nature, geology and history come to life on the trails around Santa Fe with Outspire Hiking and Snowshoeing. Alpine trails to high desert canyons are our specialty.
Chicago, Illinois
“Rio en Medio Trail and Falls and Cerros del Rio Volcanic Fields”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I did some hiking with Karen early June 2013. This is my third trip with her. This time we went to the beautiful Rio en Medio falls just outside of Santa Fe, so green for New Mexico, beautiful wildflowers, and rugged , good hiking. Karen is amazing, she knows the fauna, flora, geology of the area as if she lived in the wilderness for all of her life. She is safe, thoughtful,and experienced in her guiding knowledge, and is a wonderful, personable guide. She will tailor a hike to your interest and level of challenge that you request and are able to manage with fun and safety. The evening before the Rio en Medio hike, we took a shorter hike on a 3 billion year old volcanic field, Cerros del Rio, it was beautiful, stark, parched, glowing sunset, we saw prairie dog homes, the old route 66, and amazingly enough "jackalopes " running through the field. The next time I am in New Mexico, I already have more plans to hike with Karen in pleas I have not been as of yet. you should join her when you are near Santa Fe and want some great hiking with an amazing guide.

Visited June 2013

“Hike with a Geologist as a Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hike was amazing. We took the 3 hour Tent Rock hike. Our guide, Scott, was a geologist and taught us all about the formations, different rocks (now I know what rhyolite is!!) and volcanic faults. He even provided choco covered peanuts for a snack. Yum!! I would totally recommend this hike.

Visited May 2013
Carrollton, tx
“dayhike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I wanted a guide for a long dayhike in the Santa Fe area and Outspire was able to arrange everything. I'm fairly experienced at hiking in the hills but was not familiar with the Santa Fe scene, so thought a guide could pick something that I probably wouldn't find on my own. Everything was smooth and easy working with Outspire. I think Karen answered the phone each time I called (I was calling as we drove from Dallas), and we arranged things by phone and by email. My guide, Scott, was knowledgeable, capable and pleasant, and he gave me a few options to fit my interests and conditioning.

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Wonderful mesa-top hike with Karen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This big city girl really wanted to get out and experience the high desert of New Mexico---Karen's careful questioning led to the perfect hike and a lovely day! We deep a bit of steeper climbing to explore a mesa opposite Los Alamos. She was super patient as I turned over every single rock I could find and pocket. Karen knew so much about the biology and geology of the area it was also a wonderful (and easy) education of the volcanic history of the Santa Fe area. I loved this hike and can highly recommend Outspire to anyone looking for experienced outdoor guides! I'll use them again, definitely.

Visited April 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Karen Dennison - Great Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Karen was extremely helpful planning and then implementing our requests for hiking certain trails. I could tell she spent time prior to us arriving figuring out which trails would be best suited for us. We have a young family with kids ages 5,7, and 9 and she was great interacting with them, teaching them as we hiked. Well worth the money.

Visited March 2013