“Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pollock, LA
“Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The Hacienda at the Hotel Santa Fe is amazing!!! This was our first trip and we will definitely be back. The staff is top notch and willing to help with whatever we needed. The Hacienda rooms are a little more expensive but well worth the money. We had a great complimentary breakfast in the mornings and a happy hour each evening with a good assortment of wines, beer, cheeses and crackers. The Butler staff is great too! They cater to your every whim and did an exceptional job pressing some of my clothes. The location is great and within walking distance to many attractions. And if you don't feel like walking the hotel offers a local shuttle service which we used several times. The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle to and from the Santa Fe airport. Also one thing we noticed was how quiet the Hacienda side of the hotel was which made our stay very peaceful. The hotel has a small bar but has a good selection of spirits, wine and beer. The Amaya restaurant inside the hotel has really good food. Overall I can't say enough great things about this hotel. The only thing I wanted to utilize but could not was the hot tub. I assume it was closed due to coming out of the winter season.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
PaulMargetson, Owner at The Hacienda and Spa at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Your “amazing” review is greatly appreciated and so very encouraging to us all! Thank you so much for taking time to write to tripadvisor.com and we all hope that you will return one day soon.

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

The overall quality of this hotel is very nice. The staffs are very friendly, the hotel is very beautiful, the location is great. We had a room with a fireplace inside which was very nice. The not very good thing about this hotel is its breakfast. It's pretty bland and boring and I wish they served something better and changed once in a while (we stayed there four days and every day was the same) Also, this is very important, they will charge you in advance for one night for deposit (which when I called hotels.com they do not have this policy and no one ever told me about this policy either until I found out from my AMEX) so make sure you are aware of this issue.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
PaulMargetson, Owner at The Hacienda and Spa at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
It has been our custom for man years, just like the airlines! But our apologies that this was not brought to your attention when you were making your reservation!

And yes, we do need to add variety to our breakfast offerings and we will work on that.

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Loved our stay!

This was the last hotel we stayed in for two nights at the end of a long road trip and what a delight. It was our favorite of all the places we had been.

We stayed in the Hacienda on the first floor. The suite was spacious with a king size bed, large shower with double heads, fireplace and sitting area. The leather chairs were awesome! We just sat them in front of the fireplace and relaxed with drinks at the end of the day.

Also included (complimentary):
1. Breakfast - selection of fruits, juices, yogurts, hard boiled eggs, etc.
2. Happy hour - wine, local and domestic beers, cheese and crackers.
3. Butler service - we didn't use but I'm sure it would have been useful if needed

The only thing I would change, as usual, is the daily resort fee. I still haven't received a useful explanation as to why it's charged from this hotel and others. It's annoying.

Overall, wonderful stay!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
PaulMargetson, Owner at The Hacienda and Spa at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Allow me to give you the scoop/logic on the Resort Fee issue - or at least from my/our perspective!! Unfortunately, it is a “if you can’t beat them, then you have to join them scenario”!! All of the competitive hotels in Santa Fe (and for that matter, across the USA) charge some sort of fee - whether it be parking, wifi or Resort! To remain competitive - and by going online - we (and you!) can see the rates being charged by all the hotels/competitors - and unfortunately because of the world we live in, the general public will often (not always) come to stay at a hotel based on price $$ - if all else is equal! So, if we add the Resort Fee to our published rates, we will be shown to be $20 more expensive and invariably (and sadly!) You will chose not to stay with us!

We do need to make it more transparent to prospective guests on our website and that will be continually monitored. Unfortunately, the online agencies tend to disclose these fees in small print!

I do understand and acknowledge the frustration that some guests including yourselves feel concerning this fee, which by the way A.R.T. stands for Art, Resources and Transportation. We give a large share of this fee to 501C3 art organizations in town. Resources and Transportation includes newspapers, wifi, local telephone calls, use of the Business Center, including photocopies, sending and receiving faxes within the USA, having documents notarized, parking, use of the Swimming Pool (Seasonal) and Hot Tub, use of the Fitness Center at our Spa, coffee and tea from 7am to 12noon and bottled water available throughout the day in the Lobby, printing of Boarding Passes, dog walking and Taxi/Shuttle transportation all over town.

Thank you for the question! I hope my response provides some sort of satisfactory answer?!

As an aside, and because of the challenging world we now live in, we have still not been able to return to the rates we were able to quote prior to the 2008 recession and without this Resort Fee income, we would probably not have survived these past few difficult years!!

So please come back and stay with us again soon. We do appreciate your patronage. Thank you!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

The room was gorgeous, and the art throughout the hotel was really nice. I appreciated that the breakfast and cocktail hour used real plates and linens, with really good service. Overall, the place was worth it and we had a wonderful weekend, but it would have been a really amazing weekend if we only had to deal with the Hacienda and not Hotel Santa Fe.

The bad service we received was through Hotel Santa Fe, where you have to check in. Eloy, at the front desk, told us we would have to wait for a clean room, despite telling us that there were other rooms that were currently clean that weren't reserved for the time we were there. So he easily could have given us one of the clean rooms, but refused. Eloy was adamant that he would call us as soon as our room was cleaned and that we didn't need to come back to check. Well after 1.5 hours of waiting we went back up. Eloy said the room had been clean for a long time now, but he just never called us (he didn't say why). Also, the lobby is really nice in the Hacienda, but not very nice in Hotel Santa Fe, and they wouldn't let us wait for our room in the Hacienda lobby.

The service staff at the Hacienda was excellent, but I wouldn't call them "butlers." I expected butler service like at other hotels, like unpacking and packing for you, planning your itinerary, and at a minimum learning your name. Like I said, they were excellent at what they did, just don't expect them to do real butler tasks like you would at other places (which are generally much more expensive than the Hacienda). The butlers never offered to help us with anything, except saying hello and taking our dishes at the breakfast. With real butlers, you never have to ask for assistance.

Also, the morning we were leaving, we were woken up by a phone call of the hotel asking us to move our car immediately because they have a delivery coming in. My car, and all the others that had to move, were parked in a regular hotel guest parking area. We were parked exactly where we were supposed to be. This seemed really inappropriate and they need to plan better. The man did offer to move my car for me, but I wanted to move it myself since I needed to know where it was to retrieve it myself.

The spa is also not very good. They have zero facilities (like a hot tub, sauna, nice room where you wait between treatments), yet their prices are the same as all of the other spas in town that have facilities. So I'd definitely go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review to tripadvisor.com. Unfortunately, we have stopped asking our Hacienda guests if they would like us to unpack for them as 99.9% of the time this option is declined - no excuse! We need to reinstate this “ask”.

I am sorry to learn that Eloy let you (and me!) Down and this matter has been addressed!

Also apologies for the car move request, as we had a storage container being delivered and the “closing off” of those parking spaces was overlooked the night before.

I am, however, glad to note you enjoyed your stay in The Hacienda. With apologies for our shortcomings!

kowaen mina so thuu puchi - Have a great day!
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

They claim to be pet friendly, but then you find out later that they only accept dogs. It's humorous to me that they'll only accept the noisiest, messiest type of pet, but it's their business, so they get to do as they please.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
I have to assume you have a cat or maybe a rabbit, snake, horse or whatever! Perhaps we should call ourselves “dog friendly” but there is no such nomenclature in the online business.
Franschhoek
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had a really good stay at the Hacienda. The rooms are very well appointed and the staff service is excellent with great attention to detail. We especially liked the evening bed turn down and bathrooms.
However one thing that really irked us was the amenity charge which is automatically added to the bill. Whilst the amenities are excellent, this is a hidden way of advertising one room price whilst at the same time charging a significantly higher price for the room. In our case we arrived late in the afternoon and left the next morning so many of the things we were forced to pay for could not be used.
This is an excellent hotel which can justify advertising the higher price including the amenity charge, particularly as we stayed in the Haciendas, which in any event offer a lounge and breakfast included.
Without this hidden charge I would have rated it as 5 star experience without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
PaulMargetsonGM, Owner at The Hacienda and Spa at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Please accept my apologies that you were not made aware of the A.R.T. Fee either when making your reservation and/or at check-in.

It is indeed a common practice in the industry these days. Nonetheless, I do thank you very much for staying with us and hopefully next time you will take advantage of the Amenities, Resources and Transportation available.

kowaen mina so thuu puchi - Have a great day!
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The Hacienda Spa was an excellent choice for us. We arrived on February 26th early in the morning. When we told them that we had plans to travel to Taos for the day, the front desk was extremely helpful giving us information for our day. When we returned from the LONG day.. we were greeted by our "butler". He took us to our room. It was absolutely lovely. Spacious, clean, with a balcony and fireplace. The bathroom was large..absolutely no complaints. Next, it was happy hour. SO we once again met the "butler" on the 6th floor for cocktails, cheese and crackers... a roaring fire ... and nice guests to mingle with. A perfect way to chill before going out for dinner.
I did have a broken hairdryer.. They replaced the hairdryer within 10 minute of the call to the front desk.
The free shuttle drove us to the downtown area. What more could anyone ask for. This was the perfect hotel for us.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your kind words and I am delighted to learn we took good care of you and you enjoyed your stay!

thu xonn chiimen iy a whachii wye wye - May Your Travels Bring You Back Soon

Been to The Hacienda and Spa at Hotel Santa Fe? Share your experiences!