“Excellent food and atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Continental
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Takeout
Lubbock, Texas
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We visited Tune Up after seeing recommendations on TA. This was our first stop in Santa Fe and it didnt disappoint. We visited on Sunday for lunch and we were able to order off any menu (breakfast, brunch or lunch). My wife ordered the chili relleno and I ordered the fresh salmon tacos which had been smoked. Her and i split the entrees and we agreed that the fish tacos were some of the best we have ever had. The chili relleno was surperb as well. The portions were average but very filling. Service was quick but there isnt a waitstaff, just food runners. Front porch is great! We will definitely visit again!

San Antonio, TX
“You had me at hello”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Sometimes, a great meal is just meant to be. The stars line up and the band seems to be playing. That was our experience tonight at Tune Up Cafe, a beatnik sort of establishment (think Austin, TX) in Santa Fe. Next time I am in town, this is the first place I visiting for dinner.

We are on family vacation with our 3 daughters (all under 13) and my mother in law. It's a delicate balancing act satisfying all those people. My wife checked her Lonely Planet review (excellent) and then cross-checked with the local newspaper and online reviews. All super positive. So off the clan went...

When we first drove up, I thought Austin. My kids thought "get me outta here" and stated it as much. The design is classic kitsch. It has a nice, small patio. We walked in and et voila...a long wooden table in the middle of the dining area was open and waiting for us. Lucky tonight we had no wait. A nice young woman served us. She was knowledgeable about the dishes, prompt, and very spunky. She enhanced the experience.

I ordered the rib-eye special that came with a salad and sides of mashed potatoes and plainly, but perfectly steamed broccoli (still a little crisp, not yucky soft). The ribeye was cooked a perfect medium rare throughout and the mash were made with garlic (light) and probably a little bit of lemon (guess) b/c they were a little tangy (delicious). It was all so delicious I did a little food dance. My wife had the Mole Colorado with a fried egg on top (and platano frito). I am not a mole fan, in any incarnation but my wife said it was very good.

The coup de grace was the cobbler. I was so full at the end of the meal I didn't think I could fit anything more...but once I heard the word cobbler I knew I had to try. And it was worth the pain in my belly. This was a peach-cherry cobbler a la mode. Nice crunchy crust. I got my three bites in and then my daughters gobbled it all up...a perfect cap to the meal.

It's a bit pricey but everything about the restaurant tonight was worth it. Not a bad plate on the table. Nice job.

Midland, Texas
“Tune Up is Tip Top”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Tune Up Cafe was even better than expected. I don't remember the name of the fish, but we ordered the special which included fish and wasabi mashed potatoes. The fish was prepared with a brown caper sauce. Very colorful, fun, local eatery. We would like to return for breakfast next time we visit Santa Fe. Many of the best restaurants in Santa Fe are not located by the plaza.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Home cooking like no other!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

After moving away from lovely Santa Fe just a year ago, coming back to Tune Up cafe is just like coming back to mom's kitchen! The staff remembered me and my order (eggs bennadict with avocado)!!!! The outdoor seating was gorgeous and I am so happy they expanded to more space and a wine bar in the back!
If it was up to me, Tune Up Cafe is the place to eat, chill, and enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner Every day!!

Visited May 2013
Texas
“Great atmosphere - food good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Loved the outdoor seating. Inside seems cramped. Had the Salvadoran special. The tamale was really good, but the pupusa was bland. Not what I expected after the reviews and seeing it on Diners / Dives / Drive thru's. OK - but I expected to be blown away. I am never a fan of ordering a soda and getting the can and paying to get more.

• 3 of 5 stars Food