“A little known piece of history that changed the world forever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 109 East Palace

109 East Palace
, Santa Fe, NM (Downtown)
Improve this listing
Ranked #102 of 207 things to do in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Owner description: This street in Santa Fe was the secret business location of the Manhattan Project, which developed the first atomic bomb.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A little known piece of history that changed the world forever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was such an little know piece of history. It sent shivers up my spine to realize how this portal changed the world forever. May this plaque always stay there to remind us. Hard to find without asking directions but worth the hunt

Visited May 2013

Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The board is no longer there since "memories of Santa fe" a kitsch store has replaced the sign with their own!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I spoke with Susan a storeowner who has been there for over 30 years and she showed me where the sign was. Susan actually met the famous Dorothy Mckgibbin in `1961. Dorothy's office is now in back and being used by a book store owner.

Gave me the chills.

Visited April 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Secret Passageway—109 E. Palace, Santa Fe and The Manhattan Project”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Manhattan Project and it's secret portal is hidden behind Southwest wares on Palace St., with most people simply walking by, or even browsing the colorful kitsch without any awareness of the profound historical event that took place on that patch of ground.

Today what you see on the surface is an alleyway filled with Southwestern kitsch right next to "The Rainbow Man" shop, with lots of wonderful arts, photography and crafts. Go to the very back of the alley, though, and look through the fence, or go into Rainbow Man's outside alley — and see the historic plaque, marking the secret history — where men and women entered through the alleyway, and the townsfolk never saw them come out. They were whisked away out the back and spirited to Los Alamos. Geniuses and the world was forever changed—enter here . . . The townspeople came up with all kinds of stories as to where these people were disappearing to, but no one really had a clue as to the secret city of Los Alamos and its atomic mission to end World War II.

For lots more on what happened here, don't miss the fascinating exhibit on it and the effect and responses to the secret entrance at the New Mexico History Museum on the Plaza.

Visited March 2013
AvidTraveler57
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Wow! To See Where History Was Made!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

While walking around Santa Fe, I found 109 Palace Street. But--the door said closed for business. I was bummed but thinking at least I found the address.

Went right next to the closed location to The Rainbow Man, an open alley way of mexican ceramics, folk art, pottery, blankets, photography, along with paintings. I found a mexican ceramic pumpkin I decided to buy.

While at the register, I asked when 109 Palace would be open to see the marker about its history. The owner said to me--oh no--it's at the back of my shop on the wall. I could not believe it! I paid for my purchase and walked to the back and lo and behold--there it was!! I was so thankful I asked!

I was in awe of standing where great minds walked to work on such a highly secret project affecting our country.

Visited October 2012
San Diego, California
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 228 helpful votes
“Tom O”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Remember Los Alomos, this is where anyone comiong to the manhattan project had to check in before going to Los Alomos. There is a lot of history that started here. You should follow up at the New Mexico History museum downstairs to see more about the project then visit the Los Alomos museum

Visited August 2012