“My worst Courtyard Marriott experience...” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #40 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Lafayette, California
“My worst Courtyard Marriott experience...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I'd like to start my review with the disclosure that I'm a Marriott member. I've been to numerous Courtyard and Marriott hotels. I recently had a wonderful experience at a Courtyard by Marriott in Lima, OH earlier this month. But I've never had such a horrible experience at a Courtyard as my recent 2-night stay in Santa Fe.

When we first pulled into the driveway on Aug 23rd I noticed some of the guest windows had broken screens, and that immediately worried me. However, in the lobby everything appeared fresh and remodeled. When we got into room 312, I have to say it was rather spacious but the bathroom door wouldn't close. The door was not properly aligned, and it required tremendous effort to ensure total privacy. When I took a shower the shower-head literally made a "rrrrr" noise that emitted a horrible, high-pitched sound that pierced my ears. When you turn the shower head towards the wall, it springs a leak.

Later that Friday night I called housekeeping for more towels. They never picked up, so I called the front desk. The guy at the front desk stated that he would personally bring up some towels. We never received any towels that evening. The constant running of A/C was needed to drown out noise from the nearby roadway and neighboring guests.

The next morning I called front desk to complain about this issue. "Esteban," who was working at the front desk, said there weren't any mangers working that day. No managers working on Sat at 10AM? Hmmmm... He told me that a manger would call me later to discuss this issue. No one ever called...

Eventually, Esteban did have housekeeping sent up towels. But, the problems continued to mount. The next day on Sunday we failed to receive our invoice under the door. I've always received a bill under the door prior to checkout. But this time we had to go to the front desk to receive our receipt. Esteban was at the front desk (I don't know if this was the same guy I complained about on Sat but he didn't mention anything). He didn't even ask the obvious question, "How was your stay?" He just gave us the invoice nonchalantly and didn't ask any questions or express any concern (despite our obvious looks of dissatisfaction).

Bill Marriott expressed that the company's mission was to deliver consistency in all of its chain of hotels. This franchisee has failed to live up to our expectations as valued Marriott guests, and we would not consider returning anytime soon to this location.

Pros: located close to major highway, on-site laundry, lobby looks decent
Cons: inconsistent customer service, bathroom needs repairs, street nose

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and i recently stayed here for two nights while exploring the Santa Fe area. Our room was nice with the exception of a loose tile on the bathroom floor and a hair in the bathtub upon checking into the room. These are small problems and easy fixes but they did impact our overall impression of the hotel. Also on the second night a lady approached me as I was returning to the hotel asking for financial assistance so she and her husband could have a place for the night. According to the front desk staff person this was the third time in the past two weeks that she had been reported hanging around their parking lot. Not the best memory to leave the area with!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jenny G, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Santa Fe, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear ARamFan,

I wanted to thank you for your review of your most recent stay with us. I will follow up with the Housekeeping manager and Chief of Maintenance to make sure your concerns were corrected. Thank you for bringing them to our attention! We hope to see you again soon, perhaps for one of the upcoming festivals in the area, Wine and Chile or Balloon Fiesta. Thank you again for your feedback.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The accommodation was perfect. From the comfortable beds to the kitchen in the room with a fridge to the warmth of the location of the hotel to the lovely sitting area for pets even the to decorations of the hotel was just perfect. The front desk was on top of their ball game and always willing to help in the time of need. This hotel is extremely recommended and will be for my next visit to Santa Fe. I want to thank you again for all that you have done for my family. You guys are the best!!!

Room Tip: If traveling with kids we certainly enjoyed our joining rooms. That was a huge plus for us.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Randi B,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your last stay with us! I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit. We love pets here at the Courtyard Santa Fe and even have a Puppy Package so we can pamper your pooch! Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is without a doubt the best Courtyard by Marriott I've ever stayed at. It's a bif faux-adobe building, but it has *actual courtyards* which were cool even in the heat of the day. The room was modern and clean, the internet access working, parking adequate. The only compliant I have is that its about four miles from downtown, but I knew that when I signed up. I'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MarkLOlson,

I wanted to thank you for your review regarding your most recent stay at the Courtyard. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! I agree that our courtyards are so pleasant to relax in during the warmer summer days. On Fridays and Saturdays, we even have a made-for-you guacamole bar with a live acoustic guitarist. Next time you are in the area, we hope you come check it out as well! Thank you again for staying with us and for your feedback.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This July was our third summer stay at this property. Still very happy with our choice. This is a Courtyard with a real courtyard - the outdoor "room" with nice furniture and in the evenings a bar and guitar player. The lobby area is totally redone and the rooms are refreshed with new paint, carpet, wallpaper. They still have the tiniest bathrooms around but the strong wifi, room refrigerator, comfy bed, etc. all make up for it. And the air conditioning unit is super strong! The trip to the plaza for evening entertainment is easy and fast. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MargaretEllen1950,

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay with us at the Courtyard. I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit and our recent decor changes from our full hotel renovation. The Lobby has a completely new and modern look with stylish Santa Fe accents, which I think completely enhances the Hotel. We hope to see you again next summer or hopefully earlier! Thank you again!

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The architecture of the hotel with two open courtyards has potential. This hotel had recently been renovated. In fact, we were told that the night of our arrival was the ribbon cutting day for the renovated reopening.However, the renovation apparently only applied to the lobby, which is now very nicely furnished.
Our room and the public facilities did not profit from the renovation:
- The outer door of the room showed signs of having been broken open.
- The bathroom door didn't close fully.
- The dryer was missing.
- The iron was missing.
- The shower head produced only a thin stream of water (in any head setting).
- The bathtub had deep scratches.
- Both whirlpools in the public pool area were broken.

Worst part of our experience was that we got an unrequested wake-up call (probably programmed by a previous guest) in the middle of the night - twice! And we had to get up and pick up the phone on the desk to shut it off, because the bedside phone was broken.

The wake-up call issue was the second indication that front-desk staff needs additional training. On check-in, when we expressed unhappiness with the offered ground floor room, the agent told us that she would give us a "first floor" room instead, which turned out to be the same as ground floor (as it usually, but not always, is in the US, but from the context we were led to believe otherwise).

When pointing out the above issues during checkout we were assured that the general manager would get in touch with us, which, of course, didn't happen.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear TravellerX40,

Thank you for your review regarding your last stay with us. I hope you were able to enjoy some of the complimentary appetizers during the Ribbon Cutting event. I want to also thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I will be speaking directly to the Rooms Division Manager to ensure that our Front Desk staff is receiving the Marriott. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for your feedback.

Olathe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is a large, meandering facility with a nice mix of outdoor, open air "Courtyard" areas and seemingly endless tiled hallways which eventually lead to a nice public front desk area and "The Bistro" restaurant. The hotel is slightly more than 4 miles from Santa Fe's downtown "Square" tourist museum/restaurant area. The hotel sits on busy Cerrillos Avenue in a retail/industrial area, (across the street is a Bed, Bath & Beyond and a mattress company).

The room was nice sized, contemporary and had nice Southwestern Native American pictures on the walls. The solid wood door was heavy, well secured and comforting. The flat screen TV was excellent and the room had many amenities, (iron and ironing board, hair dryer etc.). The lighting is good. There is a small desk and good WiFi, (free and public). The beds were comfortable and had 4 pillows each. Shower was well designed and had good water pressure. The in-room coffee pot was small and came with enough instant for two small cups and then a pack for two more small de-caf's. I went a wandering to the front desk only to find no coffee pot or free Continental breakfast. Worse yet---The Bistro cafe didn't open until after 6AM to begin selling their Starbucks coffee and other over-priced goodies.

The pool is indoors, large and comfortably heated. There are two adjacent jacuzzi pools, (handicap equipped), but neither worked and so in effect were simply hot tubs. I never found the gym in two days and nights, but did not make a concentrated effort or ask, (I was on vacation.....).

The front area has much to offer, (except free coffee or breakfast) with desks and seating for laptops, a large TV, many books and magazines relevant to the Southwest etc. Guests get a free Wall Street Journal and USA Today daily. A nice perk for us news junkies. There is a small alcove with many convenience items for sale, (aspirin, toothpaste etc) and some over-priced food and drink, (Budlight bottle was about $6).

The Bistro restaurant was an over-priced dud. On both mornings they were 15-20 minutes late opening, (supposed to be 6AM). Happy Hour is 5-7PM, but hardly a bargain. House wine and cocktails are $7 as were the appetizers. We tried a French Dip sandwich, ($10) entree, but it wasn't good. The bread was hard and the meager sliced beef was tough and almost inedible. Maybe some other menu items were better, but we were in no mood to give this place a second chance.

Room Tip: Santa Fe is a pretty expensive, touristy place. Our room was about $120 a night with a lot to like a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Santa Fe? Share your experiences!