“Better Than I thought” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Better Than I thought”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here in Sept. 2013. I had my own casita with a court yard. The apartment was spacious, the bed very big and comfortable, the kitchen and bath were very nice and the whole place was very clean. The location could not be more perfect....the historic area was within a few blocks, a very pleasant walk with a mixture of shops and residences. The room could have had better curtin hardware (looked a bit make shift) and the gate needed to be fixed but the staff at the cafe was excellent and my gate was fixed quickly. My breakfast was free each day and the lady making the breakfast was the warmest person and helped me with my suitcase when I came in and gave me excellent directions to get around. I felt cared for and would definitely come back here again. The price for what I got was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a court yard if available. The area felt very safe.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Greeley, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in August and were disappointed even before we arrived. We made our reservation online for the Casa del Toro "BED AND BREAKFAST" and when we got a confirmation email stating that breakfast was extra we tried to call the numbers listed on their website and could not get an answer. We then sent an email and got a reply back from a man named Bruce. We asked if perhaps the mistake was ours and whether we had reserved the wrong room or if there was mistake in the advertising. He was very short with us. This is the reply he sent:

"We are stuck in limbo right now.
We have leased a restaurant space and, good ol' New Mexico/Santa Fe, it is becoming a marathon slog to get it open.
In the mean time our license on the B and B is no longer valid.
So, the rates we have been posting to our online reservation system do not include breakfast.
I am very hopeful that we will have a nice continental breakfast up and running by this weekend and we will include it in your stay at no extra charge.
I wish I had a better answer but it's the best I can do."

So, after emailing and eventually getting someone to call us, he still only said that they might offer us breakfast at no charge. When we arrived we called again and he said they would bring us bagels if we told them when got up in the morning because the continental breakfast still wasn't available. Well, that turned out to be a hassle for us because we didn't know when we were going to get up and then we didn't want to wait around for them. In the end, it was easier for us to stop at the nearby coffee house on our way out of the neighborhood. Even if they had changed the rates online to reflect no breakfast, they were still advertising as "bed and breakfast" which is obviously fairly misleading.

Otherwise, the room smelled of damp and leaking shower and the floor was not clean. We knew they allowed pets but there was dog hair all over the place which made it seem like they didn't do a good job cleaning in general. As other reviewers have stated, we had to pick up a key from a porch because the office was closed or moving or something so we never saw an actual person associated with the business the entire time we were there. The only redeeming point about this place was the location. It is very near downtown and the historic district. We walked everywhere we went and it was a quiet neighborhood. Anyone wanting to stay at ANY of this company's properties would be well advised to get information on the website verified with an employee so there are no surprises ,and, if you enjoy lots of customer service, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

This was our fourth stay in Santa Fe at Casa Del Toro, and each stay is a little longer. This time we spent 2.5 weeks. The "casita" we had is large, like a one bedroom apartment and has a small kitchen. It's well decorated and "funky". The casitas are remodeled small adobe houses and are quite “historic” (old). During our stay the WiFi was upgraded so the pitiful performance the first few days was replaced with snappy fast response. Because the casitas are just a few blocks from the main square, walking everywhere in the city from there is no problem at all. For the stay we got a “resident” parking pass so we could park right in front of our unit. This isn’t the Marriot or Hilton (thankfully, as both of those are the spam of mega-corp accommodations) but its clean and nicely decorated. The area is also very quiet...no night noises at all. We love Santa Fe and Casa del Toro and so we’ll be back!

Room Tip: If you stay longer than a week remind them whenever you want sheets, towels, etc as this doesn’t hap...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

That is the truth...anything I needed, I just had to speak up and someone came around to take care of it. Parking was a bit of an issue,,,,and they were out there right away. I could not work the TV...too many remotes and there they were again, to help me. And then a few days before I was getting ready to leave, I asked for a dolly if they had one. So there it was, right at my door on the day before my departure. I was truly pleased with the service. Karen in the breakfast area was on hand to help me make a reservation to go to the Georgia O'Keefe home...and she also made yummy breakfasts. And it was clean, too. What more could anyone want?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Greeley, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This bed and breakfast has the best prices in town and is conveniently located near the down-town. I've stayed at Casa del Toro every time I have visited Santa Fe in the fall. On one of my stays, they upgraded me to an entire house for only $88 at no extra charge (it was not booked at the time). The breakfast has always been tasty and hearty, depending on who the current cook was. Some may complain of how old each casita is and mis-matched the furniture is, but I enjoy how rustic and eclectic each is. My rooms were always clean as well. The only thing I would warn against is insuring that you don't temporarily park in a non-parking spot, as you will get a parking ticket from the city very quickly! I also recommend Bumblebees right down the road and the little French Cafe. All very good! Casa Del Toro is the best place to stay to save money and experience authentic Santa Fe. I would stay here any day over a motel/hotel on the main-strip. If you are wanting an five out five stars experience, this isn't the right place for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The 2 bedroom B&B was fantastic! The place was clean & has a well laid out floor plan. The 2 bedroom were at opposite end of the house which gave us our own privacy if needed. Also had a small family room with a television or you can sit in the living room-dining room.

One of my favorite artist, Georgia O'Keefe Museum was just 700 feet away! Many great restaurants and museums were within walking distance.

Fantastic location for a great price! Definitely will be staying here again whenever I am in Santa Fe!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I wanted to take a trip to sante fe saw this so called "bed and breakfast" getting there we drove in circle trying to find it when got there the office which wasn't an office at all was closed and there were keys with names in envelopes which none of them were ours had to call them to get our room. When they gave us our key we came to our place which had looked like a run down old shack. The place was old looking and smelling there were roaches crawling around the house and inside looked nothing like the pics posted on website. There was no iron hair dryer shampoo that were suppose to be provided and the dishes that were there were filthy. The only good part about the room was the bed was comfortable. The breakfast part was no breakfast in bed I have ever seen u had to walk blocks away to eat mini pastries and tea and coffee. I was very disappointed in this place!!!! Would not recommend to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!