“Ask and you shall receive” 5 of 5 stars

Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast
229 McKenzie Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #27 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Evergreen, Colorado
“Ask and you shall receive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

That is the truth...anything I needed, I just had to speak up and someone came around to take care of it. Parking was a bit of an issue,,,,and they were out there right away. I could not work the TV...too many remotes and there they were again, to help me. And then a few days before I was getting ready to leave, I asked for a dolly if they had one. So there it was, right at my door on the day before my departure. I was truly pleased with the service. Karen in the breakfast area was on hand to help me make a reservation to go to the Georgia O'Keefe home...and she also made yummy breakfasts. And it was clean, too. What more could anyone want?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Greeley, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This bed and breakfast has the best prices in town and is conveniently located near the down-town. I've stayed at Casa del Toro every time I have visited Santa Fe in the fall. On one of my stays, they upgraded me to an entire house for only $88 at no extra charge (it was not booked at the time). The breakfast has always been tasty and hearty, depending on who the current cook was. Some may complain of how old each casita is and mis-matched the furniture is, but I enjoy how rustic and eclectic each is. My rooms were always clean as well. The only thing I would warn against is insuring that you don't temporarily park in a non-parking spot, as you will get a parking ticket from the city very quickly! I also recommend Bumblebees right down the road and the little French Cafe. All very good! Casa Del Toro is the best place to stay to save money and experience authentic Santa Fe. I would stay here any day over a motel/hotel on the main-strip. If you are wanting an five out five stars experience, this isn't the right place for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The 2 bedroom B&B was fantastic! The place was clean & has a well laid out floor plan. The 2 bedroom were at opposite end of the house which gave us our own privacy if needed. Also had a small family room with a television or you can sit in the living room-dining room.

One of my favorite artist, Georgia O'Keefe Museum was just 700 feet away! Many great restaurants and museums were within walking distance.

Fantastic location for a great price! Definitely will be staying here again whenever I am in Santa Fe!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I wanted to take a trip to sante fe saw this so called "bed and breakfast" getting there we drove in circle trying to find it when got there the office which wasn't an office at all was closed and there were keys with names in envelopes which none of them were ours had to call them to get our room. When they gave us our key we came to our place which had looked like a run down old shack. The place was old looking and smelling there were roaches crawling around the house and inside looked nothing like the pics posted on website. There was no iron hair dryer shampoo that were suppose to be provided and the dishes that were there were filthy. The only good part about the room was the bed was comfortable. The breakfast part was no breakfast in bed I have ever seen u had to walk blocks away to eat mini pastries and tea and coffee. I was very disappointed in this place!!!! Would not recommend to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013
Urbana, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I assume people read only the 5-star and 1-star reviews, right?.

Well, I read the Terribles and I agree with most of the analysis. But for my purposes, these qualities make for an Excellent.

We stayed for three days in the two-bedroom duplex at 316A Staab ($88/night). Here's what it looks like:

You can spit on the O'Keefe Museum from there. The Plaza is another two blocks.

It had a full kitchen (with plates & cutlery in the cupboards) with laundry facilities. The bathroom was sunny (a skylight) and new (remodeled). One queen and one king bed, on either side of the bathroom.

In general, the placed seemed spotless, clean and maintained. But yes, there was water damage on the wall and floor of the queen room. I wasn't bothered by it. (I don't think mold is allowed to grow in New Mexico.) The floor was a bit dusty everywhere, probably because all the windows are left open. Yes, even in July the adobe keeps the heat out. The "swamp box" referenced in on of the Terrible reviews was capable of cooling the whole apartment, but it didn't seem necessary most of the time.

It's a ten minute walk to Albertson's, and a 1.5 miles to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. The local bus ($1 per trip, $2 for day pass) will haul you and your groceries back.

If you're an attorney, in town for a trial at the federal courthouse; or if you have some government business; you probably won't find a better intermediate-term accommodation. It's a block to the federal building, and about 4 blocks to the Capitol.

Canyon Road is easy walking/pedicab distance. The pedicab is actually kind of expensive, at a dollar per minute. Here's the view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FggNvA923BU

If you go to Canyon Road, I recommend visiting the Wiford, even after business hours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9p5uLPAbQg

Room Tip: There was a barking dog next to the "office" house at 323 Mackenzie. The rest of the neigh...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Napa, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This a perfect location. Restaurants, shops, and galleries are a short walking distance. Nice place for the price and the best value in Santa Fe in my opinion. The place is clean and cute, but like mentioned above, the location beats it all. The Hosts are very nice as well.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, at the Staab St location. Really liked the location as downtown was completely walkable. (Some people might think 1 mile too far)
The room was not fancy, in fact rather antiquated. Everything functioned well, though. We were very happy with the value, and personal service we got.
Also note that B&B is for certain rooms only.
I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!