“My Favorite Santa Fe Find!” 5 of 5 stars

Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast
229 McKenzie Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #27 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
San Antonio, Texas
“My Favorite Santa Fe Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We drive back and forth to Colorado several times a year and always spend a night or two or three in Santa Fe. We have stayed in several of the different Casa Del Toro units and have found them very comfortable, clean and well priced. Casa Del Toro is very pet friendly and is within short walking distance of the plaza.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Brewer ME
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

My sister and I went down and stayed in the large casita ("room 9 Super Deluxe Patio and Hot Tub") with the outdoor jacuzzi. The casita was pleasant with a great kitchen and unexpected laundry on site. The ceilings were high and rooms were full of sunlight. There is a beautiful courtyard with broken seating. Georgia was a wonderful hostess with helpful info on the area and fantastic cook. Overall the walls were all painted cream with little to no decor, the furniture was shabby and the carpeting in the bedroom needed to be replaced. The jacuzzi was slimey and a great disappointment since we paid quite a bit to have it. We only used it once for a very short time and we were totally grossed out.
Getting the housekeeping in was like pulling teeth and then they were selective at best. I recieved an email from Paul the owner about two months after my stay. I answered his questions honestly and never heard back. I don't think I will do business with him again but I will stop in and say hello to Georgia.

Room Tip: Don't rent this casita at this price unless they have made upgrades.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
casadeltoro, Owner at Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
We are definitely upgrading. Carpet was replaced after their stay. So was the "shabby" furniture. We have a distressed leather chair/recliner in this unit and it got a little TOO distressed. We took it to a local craftsman and had the leather replaced with an old Navajo rug and it looks fantastic!!

This has been a very difficult summer with heat and fires and I am sure the fires in particular, soot, contributed to the hot tub problem. We check the tub after every check out. I am sorry these women had a difficult time. We did refund them one night stay and offered them a free night the next time they come to Santa Fe.

As she said, overall this is a bright sunny room with a beautiful patio, a great breakfast, and great service. A couple of things slipped through the cracks but we are definitely closing up the cracks and hope she comes back.
Albuquerque
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stayed in a casita for one night while in Santa Fe for business. Great location but I would not stay there again. The casita smelled like some kind of chemical which I finally figured out was probably bug spray or a bug fumigator.
The air conditioner - right next to the bed - was so loud I ended up sleeping on the couch.
There was a used towel left on the hook on back of the bathroom door.
Overall not a pleasant experience at all - a very unrestful night.
I did not have breakfast since it was served from 8:30 to 9:30 am and I had an 8 am meeting.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
casadeltoro, Manager at Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
The thing that concerns me the most in this review is the smell issue. I have not been around much the last three years, I have been dealing with family issues back in Kansas. One of the first things I noticed when I got back was this funny odor in the rooms. I tracked down the cleaning crew and found out they were putting some sort of weird wood flooring treatment in the water they were using to mop the floors. I put a stop to that right away. It was about 2 days before this gentleman posted his review. It was definitely NOT any kind of insecticide and the rooms smell MUCH better.

As far as the A/C, it is less than 5 years old. There has been a lot of soot in the air and we did clean the filter after this review was posted. I think it's fine.

I am sorry the towel was left behind the door. We definitely did not do it on purpose.

And if you ask for an early breakfast we can definitely provide it.
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights at the 324 Staab St address. It's a 1 bed rental. On the plus side: walking distance to Sante Fe Plaza, good price and a lot of room.
Down side: didn't feel safe as solo female traveller, it's on ground level and some of the windows had bars over them. One window had no bars but had tape patching part of it together. The neighborhood was pretty dark and desolate at night, didn't like walking back to room at night. Unit also had swamp cooler which is either on or off, there was no adjusting the temperature settings. Wi-fi was low bandwidth, it was really difficult to maintain a Skype call.
Best thing about the room was the guy who came to fix things (couldn't get the tv to work)-he spent over 20 minutes with me showing me the best places to go on the map.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I stayed at Casa del Toro for ten days, and the room I picked was more like a studio apartment than a hotel room, which was very convenient for an extended stay. I had a well-equipped kitchenette, a sofa, kitchen table and chairs, along with the usual bedroom items. The room wasn't fancy but it was clean and pleasantly decorated. The locations is excellent, within easy walking distance of the plaza and all of the old Santa Fe attractions. The neighborhood is quiet and safe, with many dining options within a five-minute walk, and very little car traffic. The staff was friendly and responsive to problems. I only had breakfast there once (I had to leave too early for breakfast almost every day), but it was delicious and had an excellent local flair (I'm talking about some great posole here!).

Drawbacks... the main one for me was the air conditioning. The room had a single window unit mounted next to the bed, and it was really loud and rattled especially when it came on. I'm a light sleeper, so many people might not find this problematic, but it kept me awake quite a lot. Because the room is ground floor, I didn't feel safe sleeping with windows open all night (plus my visit coincided with the terrible wildfires in Arizona so you wouldn't want that smoky air in your room). Also, the cleaning service was not daily. I knew that I wouldn't get new sheets and towels daily because of New Mexico's water restrictions, which was fine, but my trash was only emptied out once during a ten day visit.

I would stay here again. I might try to stay in a different room or ask about the A/C before committing to a room, but I would definitely stay here again. It's a great deal for a budget traveler.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Staff was very friendly and the breakfast always with green chile was a nice touch. Good location in a quiet residential location. I had a nice apartment right next to the main office.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Il
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

We are not usually critical but there are several reasons we will not stay here again. Our 4-night reservation for a room we picked from the photos online was made well in advance, but 2 weeks before we were to arrive we received word that our reservation was "upgraded" to a unit that we did not and would not have chosen. Breakfast hour was ONLY 8:30-9:30 and doors were locked until that time so we weren't able to have breakfast on the days we were to meet friends at 9:00 a.m. At one time we stepped out of the unit for a moment and closed the door, unfortunately locking ourselves out with no key, no phone, not even our car keys. The lobby door was locked and only an emergency number on the door (but we had no phone). Thankfully there were neighbors who let us borrow theirs and someonethen did finally shuffle down the street to let us back in our room. We enjoyed seeing Santa Fe, but would not stay here ever again. The room was also noisy with sounds we could not identify ... like "settling" ... but the place was already 100 years old. It was a relief to start home (again without breakfast).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
casadeltoro, Manager at Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
This is the type of complain that leaves me shaking my head. If possible, we always upgrade our guests and In our mind we definitely upgraded them. They went from a smallish studio to a room that is 3 times the size and has a full kitchen, a king bed, and a fireplace. We are HUGE fans of old adobes and the room we upgraded to is a totally restored adobe. I can't understand why they did not like it.

In any event all they would have had to do is ask to be moved back to their original room and we would have been happy to oblige.

The same thing goes for breakfast. If they would have asked for an early or late breakfast we would again have been happy to oblige.

Shuffling down to unlock the room? We have three people who live withing 1/4 mile of the inn. I was there within 5 minutes of receiving notice of their being locked out. We have staff on site 12 hours a day, and on call 24/7.

The noise? As the sun sets and the roof cools off it will occasionally pop. Again it's 2 foot thick adobe. Not much noise is going to get through there.

The lesson? If you want something, ask for it, we will do our absolute best to take care of you!! That's how we roll!!

Been to Casa Del Toro Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!