“ambience, locationand reasonable prices” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chapelle Street Casitas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chapelle Street Casitas
Save Saved
You added Chapelle Street Casitas to your Saves list
209 Chapelle Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Arizona
“ambience, locationand reasonable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2005

I have been staying in various establishments in Santa Fe for over 20 years, ranging from the luxury hotels to the cheap chains on Cerrillos, and in the past two years I have discovered a great, inexpensive place just a few blocks from the plaza called Chapelle Street Casitas and the Casa del Toro. As best I can tell, these are essentially the same entity spread around a nice little neighborhood about four blocks from the plaza. I've stayed in four different accommodations there and all have been excellent. They are not luxurious and don't pretend to be. They are comfortable units, each a little different, which contributes to my pleasant sense of anticipation when I'm enroute. I have never been disappointed. The little individual idiosyncrasies of each unit are usually amusing to me rather than annoying and I much prefer the unknown to a standard, boring hotel room. Our first visit to this establishment was when my husband and I were on our way to work on the Navajo Indian Reservation in 2003 and didn't have much money. When I called to make our reservation, Bruce and I talked about what we were about to do and he ended up giving us his nicest room at a substantial discount, saying "You're contributing, so I'll contribute." This, of course, promoted our loyalty and we've been back several times. Our last visit we stayed in their newest casita, room #9, which was a charming, light filled two room casita with a private walled in patio complete with our own hot tub. I love the informal, friendly ambience and the proximity to downtown. If anyone can tell me a better place for the money near the plaza, I'd like to hear about it!

• Stayed July 2005

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Norco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2005

We just returned home from our second time staying with Bruce at his Chapelle Street Casitas B & B and Vacation Rentals. We couldn't have been more THRILLED with their locations to downtown Santa Fe & the reasonable rates Bruce offers ~ we walked everywhere & had a blast !!!!
We stayed in a different casita each time and found the quality of service, cleanliness, breakfasts, and bakery goodies all perfect in every way !!!!
We brought our friends and they were just delighted to stay in an adorable room at the B & B. Our casita was quite large with a bedroom, a fireplace in a larger room, cable T.V., bathroom with skylight, kitchen, quiet friendly neighborhood, private sitting area outside, etc ...
We are hoping to come back to Santa Fe in 2006, can not WAIT to make ourselves at home once again at the Chapelle Street Casitas B & B and Vacation Rentals, & know that you all will LOVE them too !!!!

El Paso, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2005

Stayed at the Mckenzie street casita unit C. Fantastic location!! Didn't have to drive at all! We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2005
texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2005

We stayed here last summer, and it was a comfortable house with lots of space. There was only one problem, and it turned my stomach. There were white pubic hairs on the sheets. There were some sheets in the dryer in the kitchen, but we did not think we needed to put those on our bed. The more I thought about it, perhaps we WERE supposed to put our own sheets on our bed. It was obvious that the sheets had not been changed from the previous guests. That is just plain gross.

• Stayed July 2004
, Owner at Chapelle Street Casitas, responded to this review, May 27, 2005
We have a full scale commercial laundry on premises. And replaced all old equipment late last summer.

We NEVER leave sheets on beds from previous guests. BUT nothing and no one is perfect. Washing machines are not perfect. And even though cleaning people are instructed to check for hairs white pubes on white sheets might be a little hard to see.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2005

To Whom it May Concern:

I have stayed at the Chapelle Casitas for three years in a row--2000 - 2001 and 2002.
It was my home away from home and I loved every minute being there. Honestly, there are many hotels/bed and breakfast etc etc in Santa Fe, but none like the casitas.
The manager, Bruce Kuehnle has become a friend. He is charming, helpful and informative. Our first trip to the Casitas we had a two year old with us, Bruce accommadated us with food stuffs and all that we needed to just come in and be at home.....not a lot of people would have been so kind.

It is a wonderful place and gets better all the time. Last we were there, they had added three new places that were just gorgeous. I am looking forward to going back this year in September, wish it was sooner.

I hope I have been helpful to your survey. If you need to talk to me at any time I would be delighted to chat and add more compliments.

Barbara Heuwetter
212 351 2803 (work)
212 249 3128 (home)
Your call would be welcome.

• Stayed June 2001
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

We recently rented two units on MacKenzie Street. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay. The location is fabulous, the properties are unique, The prices are reasonable and the management/staff are truly nice people. Read the review "Perfect for Us" on April 18th 2004. It is very fair, informative and descriptive. I will definitely stay here each time I return to Santa Fe.

• Stayed April 2005
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2005

Loved the Garfield A! It was perfect for our party of three + dog. The house is cute and funky and big enough for two couples plus a friend or two on the couches. I loved the bathroom--so much bigger than a hotel bathroom, and with a lovely clawfoot tub. It was spartan but very pretty. The two bedrooms are also comfortable and well-decorated with two roomy armoires. It's really like staying at someone's house, which I prefer to the hotel experience. Everything was clean and in working order.

The thing we really enjoyed--and didn't even know about in advance--was the front porch. We spent a lot of our time out there, eating meals or having pre-dinner drinks. It was fun to say hi to passersby (everyone all dressed up going to the bistro next door) and watch the active Santa Fe sky.

Something to note: Before I booked this place, I read these online reviews, so my expectations were in check. I could tell from the confirmation email that the management might be on the quirky side because they have a long and somewhat confusing email with instructions. However, it's obvious that they're trying to please their customers, and we didn't have one single problem. I dropped by to pay the balance and had a nice chat with who I imagine is the owner, and she offered me coffee and cookies. And when we first arrived, a very sweet staff member dropped by to make sure everything was OK. Nice people.

I knew from reading reviews (and management's instructions) that they kept odd hours, so I wasn't counting on them being around. We're pretty low maintenance--we just pretended we were housesitting at a friend's place. In other words, we brought what we absolutely needed and didn't fret over anything else. If you prefer Ritz Carlton service or amenities, you might not like the Casitas, but if you're looking for a good bargain and a funky way to stay in Santa Fe, I'd recommend them for sure.

Also, Garfield is an easy walk to the Plaza and is right off Guadalupe, which has lots of cool shops and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Chapelle Street Casitas? Share your experiences!