“Okay...needs improvement” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chapelle Street Casitas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chapelle Street Casitas
You added Chapelle Street Casitas to your Saves list
209 Chapelle Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Lubbock, Texas
“Okay...needs improvement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

So, Thanksgiving in Santa Fe. Great restaurants, museums, hiking, etc. At the end of a day, back to a small casita. Mud up to the ankles, and no way around it. The driveway desperately needs gravel. Once inside the casita, it is ok for the price, but there were easy things that could be done to make it so much better. (1 Mats, outdoor and indoor, so one can wipe feet off, (2 a broom and dustpan in the little house, (3 coffee filters so one doesn't have to buy a 100 pack for a few nights stay, and (4 maybe a little detergent for the washer/dryer. These casitas, many of them within five feet of one another, are all right if you are looking to save some cost on a trip to Santa Fe, and dogs are welcome. Overall though, pretty blah.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed in the #7-321 McKenzie St Casita for two nights while visiting Santa Fe in October 2013 as part of a month-long road-trip through the SW states. The advance information we received from Bruce was great. In fact, we were so comfortably ensconced that we would liked to have stayed longer if our itinerary had allowed. The Casita had almost everything we needed (a salad bowl is the only addition we would suggest) to refuel and rest after long busy days exploring downtown Santa Fe and the surrounding area. Excellent heat (central and bedroom), bed, bathroom, WIFI - all good and all in character for Santa Fe. You are literally a few minutes walk, in a very safe area, to the Georgia O'Keefe Museum, SF Plaza and all the shops. The sculpture/art shops along Canyon Drive are further but well worth the effort to browse. Our overall trip plans had been disrupted by the US Govt/Nat Park shutdown so we ended up with an extra day in Santa Fe - all the casitas were fully booked by then, but Bruce helpfully suggested a B&B in Albuquerque we might consider enroute. We opted instead to get to SF and stayed that night at a Super 8 on the outskirts - it was wonderful to move into the casita the next day and be able to walk to all the downtown attractions. We missed having breakfast at the Cafe only because we started off super-early each day to try to cram as much as we could into our limited time in this great city. The breakfast offerings looked great when we stopped by later. I managed to leave my favourite walking hat behind (hanging on a wall-peg behind the door) so called Bruce from Flagstaff and he agreed to post it to our home where it was waiting on our return! Now that's customer service! Thanks so much, Bruce, for a wonderful stay - we hope to come back and see more of Santa Fe sometime in the future and would definitely stay in your casita again!

Room Tip: #7-321 McKenzie worked well for us!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

At the last minute I needed a safe place to stay in downtown. The folks at Chapelle Street were fantastic. The room was exceptionally clean. I brought my dog and walked her at midnight and felt relatively safe - that's saying a lot for me. Everyone was helpful and the continental breakfast was quite tasty. I will definitely be staying there again and bringing my sweetie next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Quite by accident I discovered we had stayed in the same Casita as the woman who wrote the scathing review titled "Know before you go!" The exterior is simple and unassuming with included parking at assigned spaces. The interior was adorable with thick stucco walls, polished hardwood floors, arched entry into bedroom from kitchen and sitting room, large bathroom w/spa tub and shower. Included was a delightful breakfast which included items from the French bakery, assorted gourmet cheeses, assorted breads, fruit, coffee, tea, and juices. We walked everywhere as the Casitas were only 5 minutes from the square. Some of our great meals were had at The Shed, The Bell Tower, The Coyote Cantina, La Fonda French Bakery.

Room Tip: 321 #7 was the room we rented.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed in Santa Fe for a week to attend a conference at the Convention Center. I LOVED the fact that it was 3 minutes walk away, and that the place was so much more personable than a hotel room. I loved that I could walk "home," open a front door, and have this place for a week. The off street parking was an added bonus. I know that if I ever attend the same conference again, I wouldn't hesitate to book here again. The owners were very accommodating, and having this place for the week made my stay in Santa Fe much more enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Chapelle Street Casitas are a group of older properties right in the heart of Old Santa Fe. One place is directly behind the Georgia O'Keefe Museum! The owners were responsive and very helpful, and the breakfast at the B & B was bountiful and tasty.
We rented one of the properties that hadn't been upgraded, a one-bedroom duplex, because we were looking for peace and quiet. The owners were very upfront about the place being rustic, but actually we found it to be clean and comfortable, with the nicest sheets I've ever slept on!
We loved being able to park our car right in front of the duplex, and being able to easily walk to restaurants, the Plaza, Canyon Road art galleries, etc.
This is our go-to place in Santa Fe!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

First, let me say that the personnel at this property and Casa del Oro (which seem to be one and the same) are fine, honest caring people, who treated us with respect. That said, I think it is important to know more about this city block of small casitas....
Three friends each wanting our own room, found this online, and after reading many reviews (which we later realized were mostly from 2 and 3 years ago) decided this was just what we wanted.
We should have known better, in that the price is just too good to be true. This is definitely the least expensive by more than $75 any other place in the downtown (Plaza) area. If you have ever stayed in anyplace slightly better than an older Motel 6 (the not well maintained ones), you will be
creeped out by these 'rooms'.
Driving down the street to find the office address, you feel as though you've come to the slummy area of the city. When you arrive at the office cottage, it looks as though it's an abandoned house with overgrown tumbleweed growing out front! We didn't get to go inside because it was after 6 pm when we arrived and had been told that our keys would be in a basket on the porch with our name and room number. They were. We first went to see a room (sorry, I forget the numbers) that was at the very back of a motel-ish looking building. It was the last door and even approaching it was creepy, but stepping inside to the overpowing mold smell made me know that my asthma would go into overdrive if I stayed even one night. I ran back to the car for some fresh air! We checked another of the rooms which wasn't quite as bad, but had been about $40 more cause it was bigger.
At this time, we realized we couldn't possibly stay here, so we went to a nearby restaurant where we got on our smartphones and found other (of course, more expensive) lodging.
I called the office manager and explained our asthma concern and she was quite nice and said she understood. We appreciated that very much. This property is in a great location and must have been quite nice sometime ago. The owners apparently are pricing it fairly, because they know it needs major renovating, but nowhere was that info made clear to us, so I am trying to give readers a real assessment of what they will get if booking here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
casadeltoro, Owner at Chapelle Street Casitas, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I would like to respond to the past three reviews.

The first thing I would like to say is that we never, ever, ever misrepresent a room. There is absolutely no profit and absolutely no point in lying about a room. The guest arrives gets mad and leaves and we don't get paid.

We DO have a wide variety of rooms at a variety of price points, every thing from studios to a three bedroom three bath house. AND, we have youtube videos of every room. I would highly suggest that you look at a video as part of the booking process.

And YES we ARE a lot less expensive than most of places in town. I like to keep my places booked and my employees employed.

As for this being a slummy neighborhood, our rooms being the quality of a low end Motel 6, and moldy I take complete offense to those statements. I don't know what this woman's point of reference is but we are in a quaint neighborhood just two blocks to the center of the Santa Fe Plaza. It's the only residential neighborhood INSIDE the Plaza area. However, we are not a gated community in La Joya. And, there is no way this woman has ever stayed in a Motel 6. I thought traveling was about experiencing new things.

I did discover a slight odor coming out of the air conditioner and I have replaced it.

One of the charms of Santa Fe AND New Mexico, is that there are some really old families here and sometimes their houses get a little run down, but yet they will be right next to a Million Dollar estate. We have just such a house in our neighborhood. The neighbor's house IS run down but they are some of the nicest people you will meet, and they are completely harmless. Mom is 86 and her son Page has put his life on hold to be her care taker.

I own the property right next door, it might have been worth a Million in 2008 but I am not so sure about today.

The rest of the neighborhood, consists of two other bed and breakfasts, lots of Vacation Rentals, some really nice upscale restaurants, AND the Georgia O"Keeffe museum.

Mold?? Absolutely not. Old houses?? yes. Some are further along in our restoration process than others and all fairly priced.

I remember my first review on Tripadvisor. I took it very personally and was really upset. I got over that fairly quickly. But this review, is completely unfair.

Just make sure you see a video of your room before you book.

OH, we do not have tumbleweeds in Downtown Santa Fe, or any part of Santa Fe as far as I have ever seen in my 30 plus years here.

Been to Chapelle Street Casitas? Share your experiences!