“Know Before You Go” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chapelle Street Casitas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chapelle Street Casitas
Save Saved
You added Chapelle Street Casitas to your Saves list
209 Chapelle Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
San Diego, California
“Know Before You Go”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

First, let me say that the personnel at this property and Casa del Oro (which seem to be one and the same) are fine, honest caring people, who treated us with respect. That said, I think it is important to know more about this city block of small casitas....
Three friends each wanting our own room, found this online, and after reading many reviews (which we later realized were mostly from 2 and 3 years ago) decided this was just what we wanted.
We should have known better, in that the price is just too good to be true. This is definitely the least expensive by more than $75 any other place in the downtown (Plaza) area. If you have ever stayed in anyplace slightly better than an older Motel 6 (the not well maintained ones), you will be
creeped out by these 'rooms'.
Driving down the street to find the office address, you feel as though you've come to the slummy area of the city. When you arrive at the office cottage, it looks as though it's an abandoned house with overgrown tumbleweed growing out front! We didn't get to go inside because it was after 6 pm when we arrived and had been told that our keys would be in a basket on the porch with our name and room number. They were. We first went to see a room (sorry, I forget the numbers) that was at the very back of a motel-ish looking building. It was the last door and even approaching it was creepy, but stepping inside to the overpowing mold smell made me know that my asthma would go into overdrive if I stayed even one night. I ran back to the car for some fresh air! We checked another of the rooms which wasn't quite as bad, but had been about $40 more cause it was bigger.
At this time, we realized we couldn't possibly stay here, so we went to a nearby restaurant where we got on our smartphones and found other (of course, more expensive) lodging.
I called the office manager and explained our asthma concern and she was quite nice and said she understood. We appreciated that very much. This property is in a great location and must have been quite nice sometime ago. The owners apparently are pricing it fairly, because they know it needs major renovating, but nowhere was that info made clear to us, so I am trying to give readers a real assessment of what they will get if booking here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
casadeltoro, Owner at Chapelle Street Casitas, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I would like to respond to the past three reviews.

The first thing I would like to say is that we never, ever, ever misrepresent a room. There is absolutely no profit and absolutely no point in lying about a room. The guest arrives gets mad and leaves and we don't get paid.

We DO have a wide variety of rooms at a variety of price points, every thing from studios to a three bedroom three bath house. AND, we have youtube videos of every room. I would highly suggest that you look at a video as part of the booking process.

And YES we ARE a lot less expensive than most of places in town. I like to keep my places booked and my employees employed.

As for this being a slummy neighborhood, our rooms being the quality of a low end Motel 6, and moldy I take complete offense to those statements. I don't know what this woman's point of reference is but we are in a quaint neighborhood just two blocks to the center of the Santa Fe Plaza. It's the only residential neighborhood INSIDE the Plaza area. However, we are not a gated community in La Joya. And, there is no way this woman has ever stayed in a Motel 6. I thought traveling was about experiencing new things.

I did discover a slight odor coming out of the air conditioner and I have replaced it.

One of the charms of Santa Fe AND New Mexico, is that there are some really old families here and sometimes their houses get a little run down, but yet they will be right next to a Million Dollar estate. We have just such a house in our neighborhood. The neighbor's house IS run down but they are some of the nicest people you will meet, and they are completely harmless. Mom is 86 and her son Page has put his life on hold to be her care taker.

I own the property right next door, it might have been worth a Million in 2008 but I am not so sure about today.

The rest of the neighborhood, consists of two other bed and breakfasts, lots of Vacation Rentals, some really nice upscale restaurants, AND the Georgia O"Keeffe museum.

Mold?? Absolutely not. Old houses?? yes. Some are further along in our restoration process than others and all fairly priced.

I remember my first review on Tripadvisor. I took it very personally and was really upset. I got over that fairly quickly. But this review, is completely unfair.

Just make sure you see a video of your room before you book.

OH, we do not have tumbleweeds in Downtown Santa Fe, or any part of Santa Fe as far as I have ever seen in my 30 plus years here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Francisco Bay Area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I am itching to leave this place - I'm on the 5th night of a seven night stay with no housekeeping and a leaking toilet. I will leave before my stay is up. I can dig funky, eclectic, and rustic, but everything is broken-down and old. The stove in the kitchenette doesn't light, the toilet leaks, the shower takes 5 minutes of maneuvering to get it to work. Remote doesn't work, fridge is whining, there is expanding foam sticking out 3 inches from the wall by the door, the wood floor is planks on dirt making the place dusty and dirty. The pans in the kitchen are 70's era shredded teflon broken handled pans - dangerous to cook in for more than one reason. I'm okay with the tilted foundation, huge cracks and patches, funky oldness of this place. But man, it's rough in this casita. No others were available. The bedding and couch are circa 1980. This place needs a serious make-over. The price is good but the goods aren't good. I suspect some of the other units are nice but the one directly nextdoor was so bad that the people left after one night of a two night reservation.

Room Tip: Just make sure you know what casita you are getting and avoid anything that is described as 'rus...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Renter BEWARE you are NOT guaranteed the room you see online! Or even the same size! I had two confirmation emails regarding the EXACT address I had reserved: bedroom, kitchen, small living space for a special weekend w/ my fiance, had never been to Santa Fe and wanted to make it a bit more personal than a hotel. I even confirmed by text the address as I wasn't sure which was the office where I was to pick up keys and which was our room. we arrived very late at night and keys were available for me to pick up, but it was for a different address and a SHOCK: a room barely big enough to fit the bed. Bathroom barely fit the toilet/sink. that was IT. Way to ruin the night after not seeing my fiance in months.

the next day I called the host and spent an HOUR arranging a different room eventually ending up in what I reserved initially... why make me go through all that? And that was only after I requested a refund so I could just go to a hotel and get started on our visit. The second option they gave me was a little bigger than the first and she used the word "rustic" which was a major euphamism. Floor creaked at every step and kitchen was a blow back from the 60s. Even worse than the first even though 'bigger'. Would have been much better off at a hotel where WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET.

In the end the host said the room I eventually was put it was not typically the rate I paid- but it WAS what I saw online. She even said "oh, it should say on the website that the room you see may not be the room you get. " Yes it should so YOU should include that in your description! If the room was "worth" more, than put the actual price by what the actual room is. I'd pay more but I need to know what I'm getting ahead of time and be confident that is what I'm getting.

Room Tip: confirm BY PHONE which room you are ACTUALLY GETTING and try to show up during business hours so if...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
casadeltoro, Owner at Chapelle Street Casitas, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
She booked through a third party booking site. Sort of like Expedia or Priceline but not exactly. The problem with any third party sight is there is a THIRD PARTY involved, so there is bound to be occasional communication issues.

I would encourage anyone who reads this review to always book directly with the Lodging Provider. You can find prices on the third party sights and use them as negotiation tools but always book directly with the Inn, Hotel, etc.

One of the things the third party sites do is limit your ability to communicate. They don't want the Inn and the guest to communicate directly because they will lose their commission!!

I have reviewed my communication with this guest, several times, and I can not find a single communication where I promised her a specific room. The only specific address I gave her was the address where she was to pick up her key.

She was paying $ 68 a night. SIXTY EIGHT DOLLARS a night for a studio in one of the best locations in Santa Fe.

In my world that's a smoking deal.

For what it's worth we have quite a variety of rooms, everything from small studios, like the one she reserved to 2 and 3 bedroom houses, which are obviously more. We go through the arriving guests every day to see if there are upgrade possibilities and if there are we always upgrade arriving guests for no extra charge. Unfortunately we were full the day this person arrived.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

She posted a review on the site where she made the original reservation. That particular sight allows the lodging provider to review the guest, so I did!! I said "Don't take any reservations from her. She's a trouble maker"

Judging by the fact that she has posted another review here in tripadvisor I guess I was right.
Erie, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This casita was a wonderful suprise after driving all day to get here. The place was spotless with a full kitchen and gas fireplaces in both the living and bedroom, it also had a private courtyard for my dog. It had a hot tub also that I did not use but would be great in the winter. It is a 5 minute walk to the plaza and about 30 minutes to some great hiking in the mountains around Santa Fe.

Room Tip: I stayed in 225 1/2 mckenzie
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Trenton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This B&B is real Santa Fe gem. I wanted a getaway and I sure got it! This beautiful two bedroom house was within walking distance from the Plaza. A comfortable stay at a great price. Enjoy the best of New Mexico!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

With parking being at a premium in downtown Santa Fe, you can not beat this location. It is a short walk to the Plaza and points beyond. The casitas seem to be traditional Santa Fe and a little quirky, which really was appealing. We had a two bedroom (upgraded from a one bedroom reservation) and it was roomy, clean and comfortable. The kitchen was well stocked for cooking with stove, micro, and full size frig. We wanted to grill out but the weather did not permit. The breakfast that is offered at the main house is fantastic...fresh and flavorful. The chef was so friendly. I would highly recommend staying at the Casitas for either long or short term.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I spent a delightful week in a little Chapelle Street Casita in February for $40/night with a week's rental..... the best off-season deal around!

My casita had a bedroom with comfortable queen-size bed; a full bath with jacuzzi tub; a kitchenette with small refrigerator/freezer, microwave, coffee maker, 2 burner hot plate with dishes and pots; a living room with Dish TV, couch, table/chairs and good wifi. I was able to stock the little freezer with 7 dinners and salad fixings, saving money for special treats out. The casita had a bohemian feel and was a bit rough around the edges; yet, what a great deal and location, location, location!

Chapelle Street Casitas is right off of the plaza within walking distance to the whole old town, Canyon Rd., museums, etc. There is also a free shuttle around the plaza and up Canyon Rd.

The breakfasts at El Toro B&B were available to Chapelle Street Casitas. Yum!
Homemade granola, freshly cut fruit salad, yogurt, baked goods, and a daily egg special. I particularly enjoyed the pesto-spinach quiche. The chef, Star, was a delight and the cosy breakfast room was conducive to fun conversations with visitors from everywhere.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Chapelle Street Casitas? Share your experiences!