“Wonderful B&B!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chapelle Street Casitas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chapelle Street Casitas
You added Chapelle Street Casitas to your Saves list
209 Chapelle Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Wonderful B&B!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I have stayed here twice and would go back in a heartbeat! The houses and rooms are classic Santa Fe--bright, unique, and full of character. And the hosts are fantastic. Every person that I've interacted with at Casa del Toro/Chapelle Street Casitas has been friendly, helpful, and dedicated to making staying there a good experience. To top it all off, the food is absolutely delicious! A great choice for a weekend trip to Santa Fe.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
FLINT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

When we go to Sante Fe, we always take 1 or 2 of our friends who have never been, and we are always looking to stay in an authentic, Sante Fe style abode, one with a kiva, exposed rafters, adobe walls, and this was/is the place! Of course, these characteristics are not newly manufactured, so if you want "New" Sante Fe style, you won't get it, and we don't want that. Mgmt. was friendly, accomodating, the spot is easy walk to plaza, but quiet at night, along neighborhood streets, easy access to everything, charming inside, rented a suite with 2 bedrooms, kitchen and 2 baths and working kiva. Everything was very clean, comfortable, great beds, good shower and we have found where we will stay on all future visits!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I have rented this little casita perhaps the past 10 years and have been very happy, as in I keep returning, with the service provided and location. It is a little spartan, I would love more water pressure, but is is really a great deal considering location, but every request to ownership/management has been met promptly and without question. I'll be back again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

First we did not receive the room we booked on line, which was disappointing. Second, the room we did get was disappointing. The tv was ancient, the air conditioner was ancient and stuck on one speed which was high. The bathroom was a joke. The shower had no water pressure at all and the shower head was set at a level only a midget could use, I am 5 ft 7 and had to crouch down to shower. This was after making sure there were no centipiedes or cockroaches in the shower or the towels. There were cockroaches everywhere on the front door stoop, so you didn't dare hangout there very long. Beware if you stay here!

Room Tip: book some where else
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
casadeltoro, Owner at Chapelle Street Casitas, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
This review has bewildered me for quite some time particularly the "did not receive the room we booked". We often will upgrade guests for no extra charge and are happy to do it. I don't like the idea of a nicer room sitting empty with a guest in a lesser room. But that was not the case here. They got the room they booked.

It took me a while but, I FINALLY figured out the problem with this reservation. These guests booked using our on line reservation system. They booked one of our smallest, most basic rooms, and least expensive rooms. Somehow a picture of one of our best and most expensive room had been posted into the reservation system. Let's just say I can definitely understand their disappointment and I have removed the picture. I only wish they would have said something when they were here.

Were were totally full and could not have moved them but at least we could have figured out the situation.

I take complete exception to the ancient TV and A/C comments. The TV is not a flat screen but it is totally fine. We are upgrading to flat screens but the unit in question will be one of the last. The A/C is a L/G model that we purchased in the last 3 or 4 years. I don't think the L/G brand has been around much longer than that. It has an LCD read out and the controls are easy enough to understand. But, after they checked out, I looked in the room and the unit was set to 80 which means as soon as the room temperature went below 80 it stopped blowing cold air.

Again I take exception to "bathroom was a joke". There WAS an issue with water pressure but we had a plumber out and there were some fragments, sediment, in the pipes which he cleaned and the pressure is great. I am 5'10" and I lived in that unit for over a year. I never had a problem with the shower.

Cockroaches and centipedes?? She saw a couple of cock roaches outside her unit, I know what is going on there, I live right next door........... literally. She saw them outside!! She did not see any centipedes anywhere any time.

I don't like randomly spraying poison around whether it be inside or out and I particularly don't like poison outside. We have cats, dogs, racoons, chipmunks, etc., that call the neighborhood home and I don't want to poison them in the process. We have carefully applied some roach bait, etc, and they are gone. I have not seen any in a month.

I am sorry they had a bad stay, I think it started with the incorrect picture and spiraled from there. I would be glad to offer them a free night the next time they come to Santa Fe.
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Me, my husband & a friend took a road trip to Santa Fe last weekend just for a few days away. Since we're young and "broke", we decided we wanted to find a place under a certain price point, but a place we could all 3 hang out together & still have our privacy. I've stayed at a short term vacation rental before, in a different state, and loved the idea and feel of it as opposed to a hotel. I did a quick google search and stumbled upon these Santa Fe Casitas. Based off a basic description & a few photos & video, we fell in love with and booked 216 McKenzie - 2 bedroom, 2 bath, closest casita to the square (literally, it's a 5-7 minute walk - amazing!).

Kitchen: The kitchen doesn't have a stove or oven, but who really needs those when you're going to be eating out for some good local Mexican food? This casita is minutes from several grocery stores, too, if you want to load up on breakfast, lunch and snack items that don't require a ton of involved cooking, too. The full-sized fridge, coffee pot, microwave & hot plate were all we needed! (In fact, we didn't even use the hot plate!)

Indoor Space: The eating area is very cute, situated in a spacious hallway of sorts between the kitchen and family room. The family room is a great size and very comfortable - we spent most of our time between the Plaza & wineries just relaxing here. The more private bedroom in the back of the house isn't huge, but it's definitely comfortable. The less private bedroom up front is in what could be considered a dinning room or second living room, but the huge armoire acts as a half wall and my friend always felt like she had the privacy she needed. Both bathrooms are HUGE! Shower is a little tight, but who cares.

Outdoor space: The pictures on the website only show a small back porch with a wheelchair ramp - don't be fooled, the front of the house had a good sized concrete porch with chairs and firewood. It's private, and the house itself is in a great neighborhood location - you truly feel like you are living in Santa Fe, not just visiting! The parking is off-street, at the back of the house in a private area.

The place as a whole was very clean and even had a fresh vase of flowers when we arrived! Needless to say, we had a great time staying in this house, and the Casistas owner was very kind when we arrived - the rental office where we met her is just down the street from this house, which made us feel even more comfortable! For the price, it was a great deal for 3 people, especially considering the convenience of everything. We'll definitely be using this vacation rental company next time we visit - but we may have to upgrade to a bigger rental, our parents want to join us! ;)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We reserved a room for a weekly rate that seemed very reasonable considering the stellar reviews that this place gets. By the end of the week I felt we had paid too much.

I didn't expect a luxury room or anything, which it was definitely not. The place was just gross. There were drips of old food on the kitchen walls, the drapes were filthy and the curtain hangers were breaking off the walls. There was a mountain of dog feces in the backyard! Someone's old contact lenses were sitting in the bathroom medicine cabinet, which was dusty and very small. The dishes they provided were unclean. The microwave oven had an enormous dent in it and the refrigerator was being supported from tilting over to one side by moldy old cardboard.

The foundation of our "cottage" was sinking profoundly on one side so that the whole house was leaning. It was hard not to roll into one side of the bed when sleeping. The bed was incredibly soft and springy, so much so that I just could not sleep soundly. We asked for a replacement bed, they obliged by bringing us another old mattress that was basically the same.

So in frustration, we got permission to put the bed outside so we could sleep on the floor. We found underneath our bed several old bones that looked like they had been chewed by dogs, cockroach poison, and a lot of animal hair.

I slept in my sleeping bag on my own roll out mattress on the floor for the rest of the week. Nobody came even once to clean our room, even though I was told they would service every four days. I asked for a broom, and they gave us a broken old brush that looked liked it had been used to scrub out gutters or something.

To top it all off, my partner made coffee one morning and the coffeemaker they provided seemed to have some kind of chemical cleanser in it which they had not properly rinsed out. After drinking a few swallows of the strangely smelling coffee he realized something was wrong. He spent the entire morning vomiting and we luckily avoided a visit to the ER by giving him a dose of charcoal to absorb the poison.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
casadeltoro, Owner at Chapelle Street Casitas, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
I am very sorry this guest had such a bad experience. It is definitely not the norm for our guests. 99 percent of our guests walk away happy and we have a huge repeat business. We are challenged by the fact that we offer a wide variety of quality and size of rooms. This is definitely not our best unit and it IS our lowest priced one. It does in fact slope and we are quite open about the fact that the floors IN THIS UNIT are not even. We say so in all of the videos and text on our website. We do our absolute best to accurately describe each room and have videos of all but one or two of the rooms posted on our website. But still we have the occasional guest who has oversized expectations. Once that happens we can not win. I hope you will look at the rest of our almost unanimously positive reviews and take this one with a grain of salt. Thanks in advance.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

This Chapelle Street B&B was a great find in a town I knew nothing about. The location is ultra convenient--we could easily walk to all the great sights and restaurants. Paul, the innkeeper was incredibly helpful and energetic. He is a guy who loves Santa Fe and want to see you fall in love with it too. He gave us tons of recommendations, tips and hints. I got the feeling that there wasn't anything he wouldn't do for us. For an extra $9 per person we enjoyed the most creative and gourmet breakfasts prepared by a lovely woman who was an artist and executive chef. We could never have eaten that well for the price on our own. We enjoyed the wood burning fireplace in the room which was spacious and tatefully decorated. The only discomfort was that the bedroom and bath were consistently colder than the rest of the apartment, but that is the reality of older homes. I would definitely return here again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hello, I am the owner of the Chapelle Street Casitas and in the name of "truth in advertising" I think it's important that we tell you that Paul, who's name you will see in many of the following reviews, is no longer with us. I don't think this is the forum to reveal why, but we tried and tried to make things work with Paul but in the end, could not. He was a tremendous asset and was fanatic about customer service. Our new manager, Georgia, has been with us for two months and we are doing backflips happy!! She's a great cook, has a sharp wit, and the guests all love her. Soon we will be sharing some reviews from guests who have stayed with Paul and now Georgia.

Been to Chapelle Street Casitas? Share your experiences!