“Perfect Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   342 E. Buena Vista St., Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
“Perfect Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Dan, the proprietor, is an innkeeper extraordinaire. In addition to being a fabulous cook, he has gone to great lengths to think of every little thing a traveler might need for comfort and convenience. From the sumptuous breakfasts to the flower-filled gardens gardens with plenty of outdoor gathering places to my well appointed room (St. Vincent Millay) I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and felt I lacked for nothing. Note: If you are sensitive to traffic noise, you might want to bring ear plugs. The Old Santa Fe Trail is a vital artery for local traffic and you will definitely hear it if your room is street side. But it makes for easy access to the Plaza or Museum Hill, so I like to think of it as a human acequia, directing the flow of lives and life to the heart of the city.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Turquoisebear, Owner at Inn of the Turquoise Bear, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
It was so great to get to know you Elayne during your visit to Santa Fe and stay at our Inn. We know you were seeking a great home-base to explore all Santa Fe has to offer while also enjoying our acre of lush gardens for some relaxing down-time! We look forward to pampering you again should you return for a visit. Happy Travels Elayne!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We have been coming to the Inn of the Turquoise Bear for years and were sad to see that the Inn had been sold to new owners. But our fears were misplaced because the Inn is as fun and welcoming as ever with the addition of new upgrades. Dan is a terrific host and he has wisely kept the old traditions including the evening wine gathering and the hot breakfasts. The lemon ricotta pancakes were incredibly good. The Inn has charm to spare, a wonderful location, and it's a historical landmark. We have already made reservations for next year's opera trip to the Turquoise Bear.

Room Tip: Book early, although they really don't have any bad rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sam & Wes, thank you for the kind review. As new owners, we love our returning guests. We get to learn more about the property in the past. We enjoyed getting to know you better with wine and cheese on the Patio before you left for the Opera. We look forward to your return next August! Be well!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

When we came there I was completely unprepared to what I saw - an old adobe house in a beautiful garden, surrounded with pines and flowers. The rooms have separate entrances and are small, not very comfortable according to modern standards, but this place is so special I would never exchange it for modern comfort. Plus, the size of the room is nothing really, as you have this charming garden, the living room furnished in old-fashion but beautiful style, the breakfast room with an incredible view. To get to Santa Fe central plaza is ca 10 minutes walk.
This place is hstoric and charming, and very, very romantic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Peoria, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Inn and truly enjoyed it! Dan and Greg do a great job making sure each guest has an enjoyable stay. Breakfast was great and the Inn and the grounds are just fantastic!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Turquoisebear, Owner at Inn of the Turquoise Bear, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for the review Jim! It was great seeing you and Chris again. It was fun meeting adorable Marley during your visit. Hope to see you again and again. Perhaps the family can meet you mid-way next time to enjoy the Inn and all that Santa Fe has to offer! Safe Journeys!
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

As usual, we enjoyed our 7th stay at the Inn which was during our yearly trip to Santa Fe for opera, music, museum tours, great dining and hiking. This is a beautiful property, short walk to the plaza and dining, well maintained, helpful and courteous staff and great breakfasts. I'd recommend it without reservation.
Kris and Dennis

Room Tip: This is a picturesque and historic property where rooms are arranged in separate units, all quiet an...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Kris & Dennis. Thank you for the review. It was great getting to know you better on your return trip to Santa Fe and the Inn. You took advantage of all of Santa Fe's charms...hiking, art markets on the plaza, fine restaurants, and some down-time on our patio. We're looking forward to your visit next year during the Folk Art Market! Be well!
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

In the past, I have made comments about my annual trips to Santa Fe for the Santa Fe Opera, the Chamber Music Festival and other events that make the summer very delightfully musical every year. I have been a regular visitor to the Inn of the Turquoise Bear for these stays and have been most pleased by the accommodations. There has been little change there now that they inn has changed ownership. The new owners have not been there very long and I am sure that they will make some changes as they learn the personality of the Inn and its loyal customers. I will happily write more later as I find how the Inn evolves.

First of all, the Inn itself is very much 'old Santa Fe' rather than the newer lodging facilities around the city which make the visits to Santa Fe as original as a visit to 'any-city USA'.
The Turquoise Bear is a delightful experience in itself. It attracts lodgers who also are there for the music festivals as well as the galleries and museums to explore for 'off hours'. Those lodgers repeatedly come to the Inn from across the country and the world and become a wonderful part of what I enjoy about this Inn. The breakfasts become discussion groups about yesterday's (or last night's) performances.

There have not been many B and B's where I have stayed which have such freewheeling conversation. The diners are not separated out into private tables as you might find in other Inns. There is one enormous table for breakfast, but if there are those who wish to avoid the conversation, there are patio 'cafe tables' for that or for overflow.

Since I mentioned breakfast, I must mention that the nature of the breakfast has changed with the new owners. The 'cold table' with fruits, cereals, breads (with a toaster) is exactly the same. The hot breakfast has changed in that there is not a menu any more but a breakfast entree available. That entree changes daily and if a diner does not wish the entree of the day, an alternate is available (eggs any style with sides as desired). This past week, I decided to keep to the entree and had a delightful breakfast every morning. I have no idea of what the future holds, but my mornings had fajitas or quiches for the most part. There was a fresh fruit smoothie every morning (many made from home grown fruits and berries) which, even though it was different each morning, I became an addict for them.

I am sure that I am missing something that I had planned to say, but I will have more to say following my next visit, I am sure.

I want to assure the old 'regulars' at the Inn of the Turquoise Bear that while the place has changed from what you remember, it is still a wonderful place to stay and I plan on remaining a returning reg

Room Tip: Every room is different and each room has its quirks. Your choice should probably be made based upo...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Bob, we're already looking forward to your next visit! It was a pleasure having you stay with us for a nice long visit. We enjoy when our guests reunion here, hearing the stories from past stays and getting your feedback on our future plans for this historic estate! Thank you for your kind review! Hurry back Bob!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We spent one night while passing through Santa Fe, but wished we could have stayed at least 2 more. The inn is an absolute delight - charming room, whimsical gardens throughout the property, delicious food, and wine on the terraces in the evening. Dan and David even accommodated our golden retriever (and welcomed him with what appeared to be homemade dog treats). A 10 minute walk to the historic downtown. All in all - highly recommended.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for the kind review! Our four legged guests deserve to be treated to a stress-free visit also! Our 3 pet friendly rooms are situated such that privacy is created for all! They particularly enjoy our ample gardens. We hope to see you again when you can stay a bit longer to enjoy Santa Fe and our Inn.