“perfect location and lovely inn” 5 of 5 stars

Santa Fe Winter Getaway
Ranked #9 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ridgway, Colorado
“perfect location and lovely inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Caroline and her staff were very hospitable. Breakfast and and the 5:00 pm wine hour in the relaxing courtyard added a plus to our mini vacation. Walking distance to the Plaza and Canyon Road make this a convenient location. Loved the sheets.

Green Features: The inn was environmentally friendly. Soap and shampoo dispensers rather then wasted plastic bottles.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
We truly appreciate you taking the time to write of your positive experience at Hacienda Nicholas - we are so glad to know how you enjoyed the staff, food service, location and bedding. Hope you get to come back again one day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hacienda Nicholas last week. The location is great, in a quiet area just a few blocks from the Plaza. We chose the Sage Room, which is the smallest room, but very comfortable for 2 people, especially since we could use the large shared living room and patio as we liked. The bed and pillows are very comfortable. Carolyn and her staff were all friendly and very helpful, with plenty of good suggestions for restaurants, activities and excursions. Breakfast was delicious, with a different hot dish each day. Hacienda Nicholas is a wonderful base for exploring Santa Fe and the surrounding area!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you very much for writing so favorably of your stay in The Sage Room. As you say, it is our smallest room, but provides comfort at a good value, with convenient access to the larger common areas. Our aim is to provide a warm environment, a gracious and helpful staff, tasty breakfasts and a good night's sleep - it's good to know we met the mark!
Elk City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We can't thank Carolyn and her staff enough for making our stay at Hacienda Nicholas just what the doctor ordered...three days of R&R and I wanted more. The location is perfect for exploring Santa Fe on foot, and only about a block from our fav margarita watering hole and restaurant, The Shed. We enjoyed meeting the friendly staff as well as the other guests...all in all it was perfect. If you are lucky, you will be there when the blue corn and blueberry waffles are the breakfast selection. If not, there is no unlucky...everything offered is superb. Can't wait to get back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
How wonderful to learn you got the R&R you were seeking. I am so glad the location, just a couple of blocks from the Plaza, provided such quick and easy access to your favorite restaurant! The Shed makes does great margaritas and yummy enchiladas, etc. Thank you for most favorable review of the inn, our staff, and our breakfasts. We shall indeed look forward to your next visit.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I hit the jackpot with this one! I was looking for something quaint and friendly, trying to avoid a typical hotel, while still being in walking distance of the plaza. This is exactly what I was looking for. The property is well maintained and so lovely with the landscaping. My room was clean, comfortable and charming. I had the best sleep in their bed...very comfortable and the linens were incredibly soft. The added touch to an already wonderful b & b was the hospitality. Upon check in I was greeted and escorted to my room where I was shown the amenities and given a map of the area and told about some of the popular sites. In the morning we were served an amazing homemade breakfast. Delicious! Carolyn, the owner, was helping to serve breakfast and was incredibly warm and friendly. After breakfast I left for Taos and Carolyn tipped me off on the high road to Taos (I would have just taken the freeway otherwise) and that drive turned out to be the highlight of my day. It's incredible! Whenever I'm in Santa Fe in the future, I will always stay at the Hacienda Nicholas B & B.

• Stayed April 2014
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
We are tickled pink that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay at Hacienda Nicholas, from the comfort of the beds, decor, cleanliness, food and hospitality. That High Road to Taos is definitely the way to go, with stops at the Sanctuario de Chimayo and the Ortega weaving studio, not to mention the fabulous views and picturesque villages along the way. I do hope you are able to get back to Santa Fe before long - it would be our pleasure to accommodate you once again, and to help you find all sorts of fun things to do in and around the city.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This was mine and my husbands first experience at a B&B. We stayed at the Hacienda Nicholas in the Nicholas suite .We both loved it! We loved how kind and informative everyone was. Loved the location , the decor, the fireplace and how cozy the room was, but most of all the comfort. I loved the mattress and pillows so much that I called the hotel to get info on where they purchase their pillows and what kind of mattress they had. I can hardly wait to go back!

Room Tip: I liked the Hacienda Nicholas because there was only a few rooms centered around the courtyard
Green Features: I liked the fact that they use organic foods to cook and recycle
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
How wonderful that we were your first B&B experience, and even more wonderful that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay! We are delighted that you are already looking forward to your next visit. I hope you are able to replicate our beds at home so you can enjoy the same deep slumber there that you experienced at the inn. One last ingredient is the sheets - we use Comphy sheets, which are so very soft and luxurious. Thank you for the great review!
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I revisited the Hacienda Nicholas a second 2 1/2 years later. SInce then I had stayed in two other places in Santa Fe, and I decided that I liked this best for location and price. And it is still good, and I would still recommend it...but the service was weird this time.
For example....on day one they only sorta cleaned the room...left a wet washcloth on the bathroom floor, didn't clean up the in room coffee service. So I asked that we get new coffee, and they did that...but they didn't give us new cups, so coffee but no cups. The next day I asked again, because we were leaving before the breakfast started..and they looked a little surprised and asked if we wanted "service". We were genuinely confused, and upon clarification, they asked if we wanted the room cleaned. Uh..yes?
Now I am fine with staying somewhere that doesn't provide routine service, but I think it should be clear and stated ahead of time. I felt like I was imposing to ask for service. In the end they did give us coffee...but left us without cups again.
There were a few other weird events that involved employees telling us how very hard they work...three different employees, in fact..again, this is not awful, but is also kind of not in keeping with a service industry.
Will I stay there again? maaayyybbeeee. Should you? probably.
The breakfast is good, the daylong cookies and snackies is really nice, and the courtyard rooms at Nicholas (I stayed in Camisa last time, Nicholas this time) are really a treat.
Consider yourself well informed!

Room Tip: I would only stay in the rooms in Nicholas on the courtyard...but that is because I am not really a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Oh my goodness, I feel so badly that you had such an uneven experience in terms of service during your second visit to Hacienda Nicholas. This is just not at all what we want for our guests! We had a staff meeting to discuss your review and figured out what must have happened.

As we just lost our housekeeper of eleven years without notice, we had a temporary housekeeper helping out during your stay this past weekend. Despite having several days of training, clearly the coffee service was not performed fully, and she left a used washcloth in the bathroom. Please know that we do provide full housekeeping service daily, and now have a new and very experienced housekeeper in place. I am so very sorry about the missing mugs, and can certainly understand your frustration around the mugs and the confusion regarding service.

As for the comments about working so hard, it must have seemed very weird to hear this refrain several times. Having spoken at length with all staff, I have tried to figure out what happened, to the best of my ability: our weekend innkeeper had just learned of a serious health condition that has made it necessary for her to give notice. She was advised that her job was too physical in nature and could further jeopardize her health. She had a conversation on the matter with a few of the guests, both concerned repeat guests and new guests (you?), while the new housekeeper agreed that there was a lot of work involved in innkeeping. The context was all about her health concerns, but in hindsight, she ought to have kept this information to herself.

I myself had a conversation with some guests on Monday, the morning of your departure. They too run their own business and were juggling vacation along with work over the course of their stay with us. We were chuckling about the pros and cons of running one's own business, which includes working or being available 24/7. There were a few other guests nearby, and you may well have been among them.

We have all learned a valuable lesson here, and that is that we ought to keep more of this sort of information private. Because many of our guests are so very personable, and many have been coming back year after year, it is easy to develop very close bonds with these guests. I think we sometimes slip into very open dialogue with guests, and it is not always a good idea. Again, I am so very sorry the theme of working hard was so pervasive during your visit.

I speak for myself and my staff when I say we all love our work and are all committed to running the best inn that we can, and providing the best service possible. We all feel badly that this visit was "not as perfect as last time" and pledge to make it up to you, should you choose to return to Hacienda Nicholas. We have a brand new and fabulous housekeeper in place, along with a new, enthusiastic and very experienced innkeeper coming on board this week. I am confident the aberration of this past weekend will not be repeated and apologize profusely that it affected your stay in a negative way.

Thank you very much for bringing these matters to our attention.
Carolyn Lee
Owner
Newton Falls, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed at the Hacienda Nicholas while visiting Santa Fe. We parked our car and did not need it until we left the city. The bed and breakfast is so close to almost everything you will want to see, it is a perfect location. And the décor of our room and the main room were great, every morning a fire was set in the fireplace, and breakfasts were delicious. Everyone who works at the hacienda was great too. They were always willing to help you find something or suggest places to visit and had maps and informational brochures available. Breakfasts were a great time to meet other guests too, and they also offer an evening gathering to help with dinner plans and such. We have stayed at several b and b's and this is definitely in the top group as to location and helpful, friendly staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in the wisteria room, which was a narrow room with a very nice sitting area. It suited us...
Green Features: They are very concerned and have many green practices in place.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
We so appreciate you writing this wonderful review on your week long stay at Hacienda Nicholas, and are delighted to know that we were able to assist you so well in terms of activities, restaurant selection, and overall friendly service. We are so fortunate to be located within just a few blocks of both the Plaza and Canyon Road, allowing for limited use of one's car. Santa Fe is a great walking town indeed. We look forward to your next visit.

Been to Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!