“Perfect location for solo woman traveler” 5 of 5 stars

New Years Special 20% OFF
Ranked #9 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“Perfect location for solo woman traveler”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed in the Chamisa suite. The b&b provides a hair dryer, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. Also, there's a dorm fridge, wine glasses and opener, coffee pot and coffee, tea and silverware. The amount of space in the room was just perfect. The outer doors of the inn are locked, but you are given a code on your key chain to get in. I liked having that additional security since I was traveling alone. Upon entering the suite, my first impressions were that the size was just perfect (some earlier reviews had complained) and the room looked tired. And I actually felt that for most of the inn. It looked a little older and tired. But doesn't (or shouldnt) extract from your stay at all. It's not the Ritz, but it is comfortable and friendly. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were so soft. I never used the fireplace, the air conditioning or the tv so I cant comment on those.

Breakfast is served between 8 and 10, which I loved cos I didnt want to have to set an alarm to get up and make it to breakfast. There is a hot dish and also vanilla yogurt, plain yogurt, cereals, homemade granola, banana bread, a cup of mixed fruit, water, tea, coffee and the fixings. I am probably missing something. I was always stuffed at breakfast. Greg served breakfast one morning that I was there, and he was quite the host. On top of everything and did a fantastic job! Carolyn, the owner, was there every morning at breakfast helping out and visiting with her guests. She is so friendly and helpful. Really, everyone there goes above and beyond each day. By the way, Carolyn speaks French and I know that was helpful to one older couple that was staying there. During the day there are cookies, trail mix, pretzels, and nuts available to snack on. From 5-6 they offer a happy hour, which is a snack (I only went once and there was a hot artichoke dip with crackers and chips and salsa) and a chance to visit with the other guests and the staff.

Carolyn provides huge folders on things to do, sights to see, and restaurants in santa fe. And she has the restaurants categorized in several ways too! Like romantic, casual, family friendly, type of food served, etc. Very helpful! These are located in the main room.

The hotel provides parking.

Right across the street in the back of Hacienda Nicholas is the Madeleine Inn and Nirvana. I originally decided not to stay at Madeleine because I didnt want to walk over to the Nicholas every morning for breakfast. Well, that's a joke since they are only separated by a street.

When I was reviewing all the hotels, inns and b&b's in santa fe for my trip, it seemed like every place was the "perfect" location. Well, Hacienda Nicholas was definitely that for me. It wasnt right on the plaza, but just a few blocks away from it. I looked at the Rosewood Inn while I was there, which is right in the plaza, but I realized that I liked getting away from the plaza and the hustle and bustle a bit. Plus, Rosewood was far more expensive for a standard room and didnt include breakfast :) I also looked at El Farolito, and that just seemed a little farther than I wanted to be. It was definitely farther to walk to the plaza than H. Nicholas. H. Nicholas is just a couple blocks down from Canyon Road. So if you want to be very very close to everything, but stay at a quiet place, this is it. For location it was perfect for me. I walked everywhere - San Miguel Mission, Loretto Chapel, Turquiose Trail, New Mexico History Museum, etc. Easy walking distance and felt safe walking to and from the b&b.

I definitely recommend Hacienda Nicholas if youre looking at a bed and breakfast!!

Thanks so much Carolyn!! And thanks to your staff too!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you very much for writing such a thorough review of your stay at Hacienda Nicholas - it was a delight to have you with us for some much deserved Rest & Relaxation!. Thank you also for conveying such a thorough picture of the inn, our location, the breakfast, and the service you received from everyone on the staff.

I am also appreciative of you pointing out that the inn seemed a bit worn, and would love to investigate that comment further. The Hacienda is an adobe dating back 100 years, and we are constantly maintaining and refurbishing the property. Just this past winter we re-stuccoed the entire inn, put on a new roof, and re-did all the hardwood floors, painted almost every single bedroom, and painted all of the bathrooms. Your room, the Chamisa, was re-painted, had its floor redone, got new carpets and a new bedspread, plus a larger wall mounted tv. Clearly though, we have missed something. As I look around I can see that our rustic southwestern furniture could use a deep oil to help counter the effects of our very dry climate, and perhaps that would help with the overall look. I will be sure to get our housekeeping staff on that task, starting tomorrow.

Thank you again for your extremely positive review, and for your strong recommendation of the inn. Thank you too for pointing out where we can continue to make improvements. It was a pleasure having you at the inn, and we all look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Maplewood, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at Hacienda Nicholas this month (May 2013). It was above and beyond what I expected . The Cottonwood Room was cozy, charming and clean. The bathroom had a lovely southwestern flair (also very clean). The owner and staff were delightful and happy to assist us in any way possible. The common area and courtyard have a lovely southwestern feel and were very comfortable, too. The breakfasts were delicious, varied and plentiful (our last morning there we had blueberry waffles with pine nuts - yum!) I had an added treat of having the 90-minute Nirvana Facial at the spa (located right across the street from the Inn). It was relaxing and therapeutic and the best facial I have ever had. The Inn is located within walking distance of the Plaza area (downtown), which is filled with wonderful restaraunts, museums, and shops. Also convenient is Canyon Road (filled with art galleries and shops). My husband (who usually refuses to stay at B&Bs) has been raving about Hacienda Nicholas to all of our friends. We hope to return there soon.

Room Tip: The Cottonwood Room is bright and cheerful. It has a skylight which bathes the room in that beautif...
Green Features: The Inn is totally "green." Recycling bins are in rooms. Bathrooms have low-flow toilets and showers. Cloth napkins used instead of paper. Bathrooms have large dispensers for soap/shampoo/lotion (not small pastic bottles)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you ever so much for writing such a wonderful review of your stay in The Cottonwood Room. We are all very pleased that you appreciated the southwestern ambiance of this historic adobe, along with the proximity to the Plaza, the food service and your facial at Absolute Nirvana Spa. Our therapists do such amazing work! How terrific that your husband was so captivated with his stay! We look forward to your next visit.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hacienda Nicholas!

It is in a quiet area and within walking distance to the Plaza, Canyon Road.

The ENTIRE staff was very friendly, helpful and accommodating, always with good recs of things to do and great places to eat.
We loved the courtyard, being able to enjoy the wonderful breakfast and coffee outside, as well as having our vino in the evening outside. It also gave us the chance to meet some delightful fellow travelers.

We stayed in the charming, rustic (but with all the modern amenities) Sunflower Suite. The room is beautiful and gives you a true Santa Fe feel. There is a Kiva fireplace and the room smells wonderfully of piñon (but not overbearing). My partner was so disappointed that it was too warm for a fire, but all the more reason to visit again during the colder seasons.
The bed was very comfortable and the room was peaceful and quiet!
I love that this is an Eco friendly establishment and recycles. The bath/lotion products were wonderful and again, being Eco friendly, dispenses by way of a dispenser instead of wasteful plastic bottles/containers.

I got a deep tissue massage at the Nirvana Spa, and it was absolutely amazing!

The only small issue I would add is that if you like to watch TV in bed this may not be the best room for you. For us it is a non issue, but I know how some people love to watch TV in bed.

It is a no brainier that we would stay here again! It has everything and more that you would want from a B & B.
Thank you to the entire staff for making our visit so wonderful!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
What a heart-warming review to read! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay in Sunflower to this degree, and certainly hope you are able to come back in the fall or winter when using the kiva fireplace adds to the warmth and charm of the room. We also have roaring fires in the common room's oversized fireplace at breakfast throughout the winter months, which is a lovely sight to see. How wonderful that you so enjoyed the bed, the peace & quiet of the Hacienda, and all of our eco-friendly endeavors, as well as your massage across the street at our Absolute Nirvana Spa.

I really appreciate your comment that one cannot watch TV from the bed. We are in the midst of putting larger TV's in all the rooms, so on my next purchasing foray I will investigate a gadget that will allow the TV to swivel so it can be viewed from the bed. Thank you very much for making mention of this.

Again, we look forward to your future visit, perhaps this winter.
Chico, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We enjoyed our room, the food, the service and the atmosphere. I would stay there again. It was convenient to good restaurants and art galleries. Having a fireplace in the room was a bonus when it snowed outside.

• Stayed March 2013
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your room, along with the ambiance of the inn, the food service and location. We love being so close to the Plaza and Canyon Road, while also enjoying a quiet neighborhood. Great that you were able to use the kiva fireplace - spring weather is all over the map, from snowy days to 80 degrees! We look forward to your next visit.
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at Hacienda Nicholas at the end of April and beginning of May 2013. This property is perfect for a couple spending time in Santa Fe. The rooms are well appointed and the service is excellent. The courtyard surrounding the rooms gives the place a real southwestern feel. The dining area with couches and a fireplace for lounging makes for a comfy experience not dependent on weather. The short walk to restaurants and the plaza is just the right length to work up an appetite and to work off dessert.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I am very happy to read about how much you enjoyed your stay at Hacienda Nicholas. We are so fortunate to located so close to the shops, galleries and restaurants of the Plaza, and to have such a lovely garden courtyard behind our thick adobe walls. Now that Mother's Day has come and gone it is safe to begin our planting - the whole patio comes alive with a profusion of colorful flowers, making it the ideal spot for dining or relaxing all day and night. Hopefully you will be able to return one day when the garden is in full bloom. Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit.
Bucks County pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We recently spent several days at the Hacienda Nicholas (April 2013), which is conveniently located in a quiet part of town within easy walking access to all sites. Our room was comfortable and quaint with access to the courtyard. The breakfasts were delicious (including gluten free choices) and the interesting company of the other guests was a treat. The staff, including the owner Carolyn, were extremely warm and friendly and so helpful in regard to; sites to see, restaurant recommendations and travel directions. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Hacienda Nicholas and highly recommend this bed and breakfast experience. Unfortunately we did not have time to experience the spa but intend to indulge during our next visit to santa Fe.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
We are thrilled to read your glowing review of Hacienda Nicholas and how much you enjoyed your room, the inn's proximity to the shops, galleries and restaurants of Santa Fe, as well as the warm and friendly staff. We all love Santa Fe so much, and take great joy is sharing our knowledge of the town and surrounding areas to visitors. There is an incredible amount to do in Santa Fe, and we hope you are able to come back for more adventure and exploration. Thank you too for your appreciation of our breakfasts. We try to have a good variety of foods, as well as plenty to eat for vegetarians and those going gluten-free. Thank you for expressing your appreciation.
Charlevoix, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

What a great time my mom and I had at Hacienda Nicholas.
The staff was great and the breakfast was first rate. Our hostess Carolyn was very helpful with information of places to go and see. Our biggest regret is that we did not have time to get to everything or the spa. Next time. The hacienda location was perfect for us. We could walk to alot of the sites.
Thank you for helping to make this time with my mom so memorable!
Candyce and Carolyn
Charlevoix, MI

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
What a wonderful review to wake up to on a Friday morning! Thank you so very much for expressing your experience at Hacienda Nicholas in such a kind and positive fashion. It was truly our pleasure to have you and your mother as our guests, and we very much look forward to seeing you again so you can explore more of Santa Fe's art galleries and have that Absolute Nirvana Spa experience.

Been to Hacienda Nicholas Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!