“NOOOO - don't waste your time & money, especially if traveling.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Fe Children's Museum

Santa Fe Children's Museum
1050 Old Pecos Trail, Santa Fe, NM (Downtown)
505 989 8359
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 108 attractions in Santa Fe
Type: Children's Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A great way to share fun and learning with the family at this exciting museum that offers interactive exhibits on the arts, sciences and humanities.
Tampa, Florida
6 attraction reviews
“NOOOO - don't waste your time & money, especially if traveling.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

This place has so much potential, but at least for now it is not realized. $9 pp for out of towners is way out of line for what you get. I don't like writing negative reviews, but I think every city worth its salt needs to have a quality children's museum, and considering it's Santa Fe, this one just doesn't cut it. It's small and there are not many worthwhile activities to choose from. When we got out to the greenhouse & saw there was an arts & crafts area, we thought, finally, something to do! But there were no materials available, everything was locked up. A lot of what they have, many families already have at home! The water race course activity is a great idea, and the magnet area was fun. Also, there is so much potential in the outdoor garden area, and maybe they are working on that, it looks like it & I hope so. The place looks outdated and underfunded.

Visited September 2011

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We spent the weekend in Santa Fe with our five year old son. On Sunday afternoon we headed over to the children's museum. $2 admission for New Mexico residents on Sunday - can't beat that! And my son had a blast. We spent more than two hours there - mostly on the climbing wall and outside in the digging pit. Lots of activities for children of all ages. The setting of the museum is beautiful. The interactive hands on exhibits are fun. Safe family friendly environment. A special toddler area for the smaller set but plenty for the elementary folk as well. Highly recommended.

Visited September 2011
Austin, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“Fun and Interactive Place for Kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

I was very skeptical of this place, after reading some mixed reviews here in Trip Advisor. But on Sunday of our 3 days stay in Santa Fe, we found ourselves with one extra hour to spend. So we took our kids to this place.

Because of the reviews in Trip Advisor, I knew that on Sunday, the fee was only $5 per kids (above 12 months old) and adults. This was also prominently posted at the entrance of the museum. However, the lady at the cashier charged the mom in front of me the $9 regular fee (for Mon - Sat) for her and her kids. When she rung me up, she told me I needed to pay $36 (for 4 people at $9 each). I had none of that. I asked "isn't it supposed to be $5?". Then she corrected herself and told me I needed only to pay $20.

Aside from the price tags, what is inside this museum was pretty cool. My husband thought the bugs collections were pretty cool. My kids had tons of fun with all of the activities there. Plus, they had an enviable outdoor play area, at least for us from Austin, TX where summer these days is mostly 100F degrees outside.

I give this place thumbs up, most of all because my kids totally enjoy their visit here.

Visited August 2011
San Diego, California
199 attraction reviews
1,337 helpful votes 1,337 helpful votes
“Totally subpar experience ... HARD to believe they charge kids to enter....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I always hate posting negative reviews but I have to say the really over the top glowing posts are totally exaggerated on Trip Advisor. I'd strongly agree with the poster that said this was not worth the money or time and when he said it's hard to believe they charge the same price for children as adults. I'll go one step further and say I can't believe they even charge kids at all. The only kids they don't charge for us kids less than 12 months old. Many Children's museums around the country don't charge for kids under 2 or 3.

We've been to all kinds of Children's Museums around the country. From really fabulous kids museums like the amazing one in Tampa, Florida to decent ones like the one in Portland but this one here was probably the worst one we've been to.

Funny reading people post things like "human size bubbles". The reality is a stainless still pan full of big bubble sticks only there wasn't enough bubble solution so you couldn't even make any bubbles at all! (That was our experience and everyone else today).

They had a very tiny amount of animals. The ones they did have I felt sorry for as the fish were in very small tanks. Same as the two turtles and a big snake in a tiny glass container. Other things consisted of just some tanks with rocks at the bottom with some plastic balls floating in it.

Not to mention some things were just outright dangerous. For example, outside in the back yard they had this pump that kids could pump up and down and water would come out. Well, it was broken so while our daughter was pumping it.... the part totally came off in her hand. She could have gotten hurt. I saw the same thing with the girl after us even though we warned her mother to be careful. So this place needs to fix that ASAP.

This facility is really small compared to other places around the country and there isn't many things to do in them. Definitely it's not worth the $9 per person, IMHO. Even on Sundays at the $5 a person price...I think they shouldn't charge kids under 3 as there isn't nearly enough to do or see.

Definitely if you go, go on a Sunday and pay the discounted price. But even then, have reasonable expectations as this really is a tiny place with not much to do or see. The other over the top positive posts seem like people that have never taken their kids to other Children's museums before...

Visited July 2011
Wilmington, Delaware
“My experiences were quite memorable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I've been to the Santa Fe Children's Museum a few times with my family; it's a must-do each time we're in Santa Fe. Unlike the guest from Argentina, we were quite pleased each time with attentive staff, attention to detail and the care and quality of each exhibit.
We did ask a staff member once if something could be done about the quality of the soap bubble mix and the situation was remedied immediately. It is my experience that asking staff for help or sharing my concernswhile still on-site most often improves the situation whether I am at a Children's Museum or hotel or anywhere! I remind myself not to let one anonymous negative review affect my ability to enjoy an attraction.

Visited May 2011

Been to Santa Fe Children's Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Santa Fe Children's Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later