“Glad we made it a destination stay w/our dog, not just a day visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Fe
Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon
3451 Hyde Park Rd., 4 Mi From The Plaza On Road To Santa Fe Ski Basin (Box 10200), Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #22 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Oakland, California
“Glad we made it a destination stay w/our dog, not just a day visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Several years ago my cousins and I came for a day visit and spa/massage. I vowed the next time, it would not be for the day, but hopefully at least 3 days to a week. So here I am again w/hubby and dog … loving our stay in HIGH MOON … and enjoying all the amenities. Restaurant Izanami IS A MUST - Terrific small plate dishes; everything we ordered was delicious! It may sound odd, but try the friend avocado -- you will enjoy it, trust us. I had 2 treatments … nose to toes (best massage/treatment ever) and he had 6 treatments, a combo we were able to work into "Waves of Bliss", omitting the private tub (since we were lodging guests and he really didn't need that). As mentioned by other reviewers, be sure to research your choices carefully and visit the spa reservation desk to be sure your understanding is in line with theirs. We found that the staff, including the manager, was a bit confused about the specials until I was able to bring the pages up on my computer to show them the details/restrictions. All totally resolved to our satisfaction, but initially I was a little annoyed that they weren't exactly following what was posted on their website. Hubby said the Masters Massage was outstanding and that his shoulder problem hadn't felt so good in several years. High Moon house is closest to the spa, but still >100 steps uphill. Not a problem for us (we characterized it as good exercise), but could be a problem for the less mobile, especially at elevation almost 8,000 ft. We lived in our robes and slippers for 3 days and loved every minute. The day I needed to head into Santa Fe (<4 miles down the mountain) to the post office and a few groceries & wine from Trader Joe's, I put on shorts/t-shirt but left my purse in the room. That's what Ten Thousand Waves does to you -- mind, body, spirit is floating and it's hard to get back into the regular grind/routine. Guests should stay with their pets if they are unaccustomed to being alone, as we did encounter some who continued to bark until their handlers returned from the spa. Our dog does not behave in that manner, so it was a bit of an annoyance in the tranquil and beautiful setting of the resort to hear dogs barking. The only downside was that there was pine tar that had our dog anxiously trying to remove it from her paw pads. I don't think there's much that can be done about that unless we put booties on her (yeah, good luck w/that!). We are of the more modest type, so bathing suits worked fine for us in the communal tub and we didn't feel awkward at all. Just give consideration where you stand on that before arriving. We hope to make Ten Thousand Waves an annual or biennual visit in the future … and for a week's stay! Yes, it was that good and we loved the size and relatively private location of HIGH MOON! We did not find the road noise to be an annoyance as mentioned in other reviews. We are city folk (Oakland, CA) and I am Japanese American, born in Berkeley. We have spent quite a bit of time visiting the onsen in Japan and found this to be as close as you can come to the real deal.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

While the decor is a bit "Zen Disneyland," the tranquil setting cannot be denied. Helpful staff show the features of your room, which has fine amenities, upon arrival. My room ("New Moon" - pictured in the banner shot) had a fireplace with enough wood to keep a fire going all night. Just a short walk to the spa and restaurant. Unlike anyplace you've ever stayed and as far from "Santa Fe Style" as you can get - you'll love it.

Room Tip: All rooms are different. Check website for pictures and amenities of each.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

This is my second stay at Ten Thousand Waves. We stayed one night in Full Moon and it was the height of comfort and amenities. There's a very nice shower, a washer/drier, fireplace, dishwasher, and an extremely comfortable bed! It was also very clean! Mostly, the stay was first-rate because of the front desk staff. The two women at the front desk made our time extra great with their kindness and hospitality. I highly recommend Ten Thousand Waves!! Next time we will stay longer!

Room Tip: Full Moon is near gravel, but worth it for the light, the openness of the layout and the comfort!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cedar Crest, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Because of the convenience of being right at the spa and restaurant, we definitely recommend this place. Our room was lovely and serene That said, if you want a larger breakfast, bring some food. What was available in the room was fine, if you like granola...I'm one of those weird people who would rather have an egg. Also, the bed was extremely comfortable but set very low to the ground on a low platform. I got up in the middle of the night and took a tumble, not bad but it could have been much worse. We would stay here again most likely but would choose a different room with a larger patio and would definitely bring food for breakfast.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Staying at Ten Thousand Waves along with a massage and dinner at Izanami was a birthday present from my husband. It could not have been better. The room was the height of Japanese luxury, dinner was fabulous and the massage I received from Rose was definitely the icing on the cake. Everyone should be so lucky!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Lakeville, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

From start to finish this hotel /spa was perfect. the staff was very accommodating. We drove from LA to NYC and were a bit behind schedule and the staff was very gracious about changing our reservation. The rooms were beautiful, comfortable and they provide fresh coffee beans and a grinder in the room plus fruit and granola and milk. The heated toilet seats are pretty nice too the spa was clean and nice, the restaurant has fabulous healthy but not boring food.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

You know how sometimes a hotel or restaurant will try to do something in an “authentic” style of some sort, and you come away feeling a little theme-parked-out? That is NOT the case at 10,000 Waves. I’ve been coming here for 20 years (before they had the hotel rooms) and now I love the Japanese-style rooms on top of everything else that they offer. I find the rooms relaxing, and also kind of amusing. Let’s just say it makes me happy to stay there. And even when I’m staying elsewhere in Santa Fe, I always come for a hot tub and some treatments (in addition to massage, I love the salt glow & herbal wrap). This week I ate lunch at their new restaurant, Izanami – delicious. And if you book a tub and a treatment before 1:00, they give you a voucher for a complimentary 3-course prix fixe lunch. You could spend days on the mountain and never go into town – you’d be pampered, well fed and well rested. Sounds good to me!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon? Share your experiences!