“Very nice and peaceful but WAYYY overpriced” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Fe
Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon
You added Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon to your Saves list
3451 Hyde Park Rd., 4 Mi From The Plaza On Road To Santa Fe Ski Basin (Box 10200), Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Denver, Colorado
“Very nice and peaceful but WAYYY overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

Ok..to sum up. My husband and I LOVED Ten thousand waves.
It was peaceful, calm, lovely..etc...The staff save for a couple rude floks was lovely and pleasant and helpful. We stayed for 4 nights in the Full Moon room.. It is their biggest and most expensive room. It was a lovely room. It reminded me of what a weekend cabin in the woods would be. The bed was a bit hard but not too bad, a king would have been nice.. The full kitchen was wonderful to have. We shopped in town and cooked several meals on our own. The breakfast in the morning of granola and fruit was surprisingly satisfying. We also barbequed on the habachi on the deck on night. Our room also had a washer and dryer. All very nice. The problem here is the price of the room. For 349 dollars a night this was in no way worth it. The room didn't have a separate bed room and the bath room was no more than a normal bathroom in a normal house. Though we did LOVE the heated toilet seat!! Also it was odd to get no benefit at the bath house for staying on site. We will be back. But we will be back in low season and we will stay in a smaller room. If they drop their prices we will be back more. For those staying on site maybe something like a free private bath at night? Discount on spa services? Something to cover the crazy cost. Go there, I highly recommend it, but go in low season or it will break your budget.

• Liked — The location and buidlings were lovely..working with nature is awesome.
  • Disliked — The Price, the price, the price.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
denver colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

We were blissed out completely with our stay at Ten Thousand Waves. My sister and I did a package called "The Blissful Idyll" which was over the top spa luxury and included two nights in the Houses of the Moon lodging. Full Moon was a sunwashed house with hummingbirds and a wildflower meadow off our deck. Amazing mountain experience. Loved the walk in our kimonos up to the spa on a meandering path through the woods. Felt like we were in another world, or at least Japan! Outdoor hot tubs, tumbling waterfall into koi ponds, saunas, massage, cucumber water, and walking down the mountainside to return to our room nestled in the pines was bliss. Tranquil and restful stay that we would recommend to anyone. We want to go back next year and try another package.

• Liked — Full Moon and the lodging and spa staff. They seemed so happy to be there!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
santa fe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

Peaceful and easy stay in New Moon. The bed was incredibly comfortable. I appreciated the complementary breakfast in my room and firewood. Also, the pet friendly aspect was a real plus. My chow chow loved it as well!. Lodging staff was amazing and accommodating and helped me with my spa services and found me a great restaurant in Santa Fe. I will recommend this spa and lodging to all my friends and will be back. A great place to get centered, pampered, and rejuvenated.

• Liked — professional staff and great spa services
  • Disliked — no restaurant on site
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

First I want to say that this review is for the hotel, not the spa. My experience at the Spa, the treatments I mean, were some of the best I have ever had. The girl who did the facials is beyond excellent, she is a true beacon of knowledge and skill at her craft. The massages were A+ all the way, at least for me. The tubs for public use were too crowded, and the private I felt were overpriced for the fact that as a guest overpaying for the terrible hotel, you should get a deep discount for a private tub, but you don't. Hotel: Below average rooms for the price, not made up for two friends to stay in comfortably, and just sort of weird! We didn't sleep well and they promised it was suitable for two, which it wasn't really, at least not for $300 a night. The real trouble came at check out when all our deep relaxation we had just payed an arm and a leg for went straight out the window. That hotel needs to either slash the prices to reflect their poooooooor management or get someone in there to put that office in check! They need a major overhaul with the flaky, lazy whatever mentality of overcharging customers and then acting like it's not a big deal. Whatever you do, don't ever let a woman by the name of "Love" anywhere near your credit card. When we checked in she said, "Let me make it easier for you two (we were friends splitting a "girls get-away") by having all your spa treatments charged individually. If each of you just give me a credit card, it will all be taken care of and when you check out, we will split the room down the middle and you can just sign and be on your way". Not the case! We were each overcharged about $900 on our credit cards after we checked out and when we called the hotel to get it sorted out, it just got worse. I spent about three days, calling five times a day to get the false charges all sorted out, and even at the end I wasn't sure it was correct but I would have payed them to just go away. They really screwed up and never offered even an apology. I will never stay here again, although I would suggest going for the day and getting a massage and facial. If you do go, it was beautiful in late February with the crisp air and snow flocked trees. Santa Fe is JUST Georgous!

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Checking out
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

We've visited the spa at ten thousand waves many times and consider it one of the highlights of a visit to Santa Fe. We recently returned from a three-day stay in Tsuki at Houses of the Moon. Tsuki is a spacious multi-level cottage with the same tasteful, mimimalist design we admire in the spa. We loved wearing the kimonos, kimono jackets, and sandals provided in the room--making us feel in sync with the zenlike atmosphere. We were disappointed however, in the unfastidious housekeeping. We requested a more thorough cleaning, but the condition did not improve. Although we love the look and style of Tsuki, the lack of attentive housekeeping was a disharmonious note.

• Liked — amazing style in a beautiful natural setting
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

We just spent a weekend at Ten Thousand Waves and had a very enjoyable stay. We spent one night each in Tsuki and Rising Moon and also used the spa facilities.
Lodging: The first word that comes to mind when entering the rooms at TTW is 'unique'. While not everything in the rooms is Japanese, there is a definite Japanese influence and the overall effect is very different from a hotel room. The warm and cozy layout, ample closet space, abundance of natural lighting (we couldn't get over that!), large bathrooms (with heated toilet seats), wood fireplaces all made the stay much more relaxing than a hotel stay. The Tsuki, being the largest room on the property, is more like a house than just a room (with a bedroom, living room, dining area, full kitchen, and large bathroom). There are no dining facilities available so have to go out for food but there is some sustenance in the form of fruit, granola, soymilk, tea, and coffee available. We didn't mind much as why would we want to stay in our room when Santa Fe has so much to offer for food. The location of TTW is also very quaint and rustic being surrounded by trees and hills. Couple of things to keep in mind though: the rooms we stayed in were not the cheapest you can find in town, the property is close to the road so might get some vehicle noise, the electric radiator can be a little noisy, virtually no cellphone reception or internet availability (which can be a good thing). All in all, a memorable stay.
Spa: My wife and I used a few spa services while there and were very impressed with them all. The layout of the spa is very comfy and cozy and I am sure can be a little tight in high season.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sonoma County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

Ten Thousand Waves is not for everyone. Those expecting luxury amenities will be disappointed (e.g. there is no restaurant and no room service). Those off-put by the hippy hangover atmosphere of the spa facility will also not be happy. First time visitors to Santa Fe may be unhappy with the lodging's distance (2 plus miles) to downtown, or to anything commercial at all.

If you are still reading however, know that this is a very restful, comfortably appointed getaway. Nestled into the hills just above town, the Japanese inspired rooms are extremely comfortable and clean. Our room came with an extra sitting room which was a huge plus. My wife and I spent a very relaxing two nights there and I would happily return.

For business types, there is WiFi but it is only available in some spots.

The one main drawback from my perspective (admitting that I am not really a fan of their spa) is the proximity to the road up the mountain. You can hear occasional cars going by. I would have given the place 5 stars had it been at a greater distance from the road below.

• Liked — Peacefulness
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon? Share your experiences!