“Tranquility in the NM mountains” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Fe
Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon
Save Saved
You added Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon to your Saves list
3451 Hyde Park Rd., 4 Mi From The Plaza On Road To Santa Fe Ski Basin (Box 10200), Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Brooklyn, NY
“Tranquility in the NM mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

You know how sometimes a hotel or restaurant will try to do something in an “authentic” style of some sort, and you come away feeling a little theme-parked-out? That is NOT the case at 10,000 Waves. I’ve been coming here for 20 years (before they had the hotel rooms) and now I love the Japanese-style rooms on top of everything else that they offer. I find the rooms relaxing, and also kind of amusing. Let’s just say it makes me happy to stay there. And even when I’m staying elsewhere in Santa Fe, I always come for a hot tub and some treatments (in addition to massage, I love the salt glow & herbal wrap). This week I ate lunch at their new restaurant, Izanami – delicious. And if you book a tub and a treatment before 1:00, they give you a voucher for a complimentary 3-course prix fixe lunch. You could spend days on the mountain and never go into town – you’d be pampered, well fed and well rested. Sounds good to me!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Missouri City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Interesting place in the hills above Santa Fe. Can be a bit expensive, but a great choice for special occasions. Various private and public hot tubs. We took the "Waterfall". Very romantic. Massages of all sorts are available. My girlfriend and I did a couples which was great. I will recommend Brian. Next evening I had a different type. Pasqual was the "therapist". Not as good. The kimonos they provide at the spa are a nice touch. Changing room was very good. The onsite restaurant was Very nice. Very good atmosphere and food. Reservations advised for Friday & Saturday. The room we had "Blue Moon" was super. Well supplied, very clean. No complaints of any kind. Not many kids around, but they should be Okay. My gf verified the billing was correct.

Room Tip: Review the different options on their website.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is a great spa area that is perfect for apres-skiers and or people visiting Santa Fe that want a little get away. Wether you want spa services (amazing massages) or just to unwind at the hot tub/sauna/polar plunge (both communal and private) this is an amazing place to let the body unwind as well as the mind

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Sometimes you find a special location that enhances your journey. This place is it. There is a palpable sense of peace and tranquility in every little viewpoint, in every finish detail of the fantastic houses and baths.

If you need to be able to say with certainty "I have escaped" and you don't mind the somewhat high cost, then 10000 Waves is for you. Don't expect that you can be loud and stupid here or you will meet the Samurai.

Room Tip: They are all good. Leave $5 a day tip for the house cleaners.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

While traveling across the country we spent our one night in New Mexico here. It was a relaxing treat.

The setting on the side of a mountain made for great views and an intimate setting for the little cabins crawling up towards the spa. The theme was Japanese but the amenities are western. I think they did a very good job of creating a Japanese like setting but still familiar enough for everyone to enjoy.

Our cabin had a private outside area with a grill, which could be really nice if staying for several days and there was seating to entertain. They allow children and pets, which means they are friendly to all sorts of families.

Walking up to the spa and hot tubs is a bit of a hike, and the stairs were built of rock into the side of the mountain and might be too challenging for some guest, but they also have a shuttle to drive up and down the hill.

We did not get a reservation for any services, but did go to the communal hot tub under the stars. There are dressing rooms and they give you robes and towels, and have showers with really nice products to use before and after your treatments.

They recently opened a Japanese restaurant at the top of the spa, where we had a leisurely meal to end the night.

Next time I am in Santa Fe I will be back here.

Room Tip: Check the website to see each room. They give big discounts for same day reservations.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

My wife and I decided to have a road trip adventure for our honeymoon and this authentic Japanese style bathhouse is unbelievable. We stayed in the crescent moon house which is well over 1000 sq. ft. and an unbelievable value. The baths, house and restaurant were so good we even extended our stay. Thank you to everyone for helping us have a wonderful stay. We will be back for our anniversary in years to come.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bay Area, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was my second time to 10000 Waves and it has only gotten better. It is a gorgeous property, designed as if it were in Japan. There is exquisite attention to detail in every part of the property. Clean, friendly staff and wonderful mineral waters in which to soak. We stayed in Luna, which I would not choose for next time. It is rather dark. I would choose Full Moon instead, as it has a window wall that overlooks the cedar/pinon forest and a full kitchen. It sleeps 4, with a queen bed and a double futon. If you have a larger group (I am thinking a girls' weekend, etc.) you can rent Rising Moon and Blue Moon in conjunction with Full Moon as they all have connecting doors.

Please be aware that every Tuesday all the tubs and spa services are closed until 2:30 for cleaning. Otherwise you can soak from 9 am to 9:30 pm for free in the communal tubs. If you want a bit of extra luxury rent a private tub. We were in Ichiban and it was gorgeous.

You can also print a coupon off the internet for 20% off spa services and if you call the same day, and they have a room available, you will get a 20% discount.

Happy Soaking!

p.s. they have a new restaurant on the premises. The food was mixed: some great, some just so-so.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon? Share your experiences!