“Lodging is awesome - worth the $” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Fe
Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon
Save Saved
You added Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon to your Saves list
3451 Hyde Park Rd., 4 Mi From The Plaza On Road To Santa Fe Ski Basin (Box 10200), Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #22 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Lodging is awesome - worth the $”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Ten Thousand Waves twice in the past year. The lodging is AWESOME! We have stayed in Yado and Hangestu - both are so unique and super cool. Neat bathrooms w sexy showers, great little kitchen area (no major appliances where we stayed), great bedding, nice decorative touches and the patios were so "zen". We esp love accessing the (free for guests) outdoor "pools" before and after the spa is open. Check out the NEW foot baths and the relaxation room. Also, japanese restuarant to open in the fall!

Side note - I've had 4 spa treatments over the past few years.... They are all just ok. Pretty pricey. I will likely skip in the fuure and lounge in my cool room. :)

We can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My wife and I went of vacation for our birthday. We went to Ten Thousand Waves. I did the research on this place and decided to have the massage and to stay at the hotel. I will give both the positive and negatives that we experienced and you decide weather or not this place is for you or not.

Negatives.....The hotel is located in the mountains and the area is very steep. If you are in a wheelchair or if you have bad knees, etc It is NOT wheelchair accessable. Us being from Florida the altitude was hard for us, but, that is not the fault of the hotel! There is no place to eat on location, you have to order out, and the business overcharges for delivery. The food was less than desireable. We stayed at the New Moon and it was small but quaint. There was a fireplace however, there is no table to eat if you should eat in the room. They have a pair of chairs and a small table outside, but not inside. Furthermore, there is no A/C in the rooms, only a fan, however, the nights were cool (We stayed at the end of May). There is no tv in the room. This resort may not be suitable for children, mostly for couples.

Positives....The rooms are very private and you don't have to worry about hearing the neighbors next to you like in an average hotel room. The bed was comfortable and the rooms were very clean. The experience is different and a nice getaway from the everyday routine. If you want to get away from the internet, texting and TV this may be the perfect solution for you.

As much as I loved the spa and the attention they gave us, I don't think we would stay at the hotel, we would again, make a day of it at the spa and stay at the hotel in town, which is not that far away. It's cheaper to stay at one of the hotels in town and they have more to offer. Enjoy!

Room Tip: If you are staying here, but NOT going to the spa, choose a room closest to the parking lot. The wal...
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had my wedding in Santa Fe, so have had the opportunity to experience most of the hotels in Santa Fe. Ten Thousand Waves is an experience that we continue to stay at for a weekend getaway. Compared to other hotels, the rooms here are very heterogenous. They are all Japanese-themed, and can vary from cozy rooms with only a bed/bathroom, to larger rooms that include full kitchens and dining/living rooms.

Strengths: For the price of the room, it doesn't get any better in Santa Fe, and they also offer a discount for same-day reservations. They allow dogs- (and will provide a bed, treats and awesome doggy bags). The rooms are spotless. The renovations are beautiful and include a lot of small touches including Japanese-style toilets, modern bathrooms, fruit and granola for breakfast. All the rooms have a very private feel to them, and are overall incredibly relaxing. The service is great. They personally walk you to your room and show you where everything is.

Weaknesses: If you want to stay on the plaza, it's a little in the mountains, but not far at all (~5 mins ). Staff is only at the site during the day and evening- but this has not been a problem for us.

Bath suggestions: I have traveled to Japan many times, so I am familiar with Japanese bath houses ("onsens"). I only go to the super premium baths at then thousand waves now for that reason. Some of the premium baths are nice, especially waterfall if you want to take multiple people, but for the price, I highly recommend the super premium private baths, because they are most like the ones in Japan. The less expensive baths I've tried are just hottubs, and not too impressive.
I highly recommend getting a private tub the night you're there or the next morning. They provide robes in the rooms that you can just walk to the baths with.

Room Tip: They are all great. If you want a larger living area and a kitchen Crescent moon or Full moon.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

After all the hype about this spa, we were expecting this to be a special experience. Instead, we found a kind of fake Japanese wannabe Zen experience. The staff was appropriately superior and snobbish, and the prices for services were outrageous. Even the prices for the tiny snacks in the lobby were exorbitant- a rip-off.

so we thought, at least we would have a good time visiting the hot tubs that were included in the price of our lodgings (BTW, our suite was very elegant and comfortable) Well much to our disappointment, both the Communal Tub and the Women's Tub were tiny. Shouldn't this kind of special spa have a hot tub bigger than an ordinary backyard one? For all the many people that visit this place (we were told 500/day) these two tubs could only accomodate 6 people at most.

Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I hadn't been back here since 1986, and though much has changed, the best things about this place have not changed at all. The new accommodations are incredibly peaceful, beautiful, modern and efficient. The spa is wonderful and we spoiled ourselves for a whole day and were so fabulously relaxed and happy afterwards. Best facial EVER times 10! Masters massage aweome and healing! THANK YOU, to all the kind and down-to-earth people who work at this lovely place and who pampered us in ways we only imagined. We will return to Santa Fe, but only because of this incredible place! (ok ok and maybe for the hiking!)

Room Tip: can't wait for your new Japanese restaurant to be finished!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a great romantic get away from it all with great views, surrounded by nature, nice to hike nearby and have the private baths practically at your doorstep. That part was wonderful! Great to exit your room wearing your kimonos and walk to the spa! The massage was mediocre- I guess i expected better considering the facility. I would definitely recommend but would probably not return only because I like exploring new places.

• Stayed February 2013
Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Even after all the reviews I read my experience wasn't at all what I was anticipating. If you like to be pampered this is not the place. The staff was perfectly nice and my master massage was very different but beneficial. However, I felt like I was in a glorified camp with hot tubs. I'm not sure what the draw of this place is unless you are intrigued but the clothing optional option of the hot tubs. The hot tub in the women's area was much like a back yard hot tub. There were five women in the tub when we arrived which seemed to us at capacity. I had no desire to elbow my way into this already crowed tub. Perhaps this is why they have private hot tubs to rent. I didn't check out the main communal area so have no comments about that area. I didn't find the spa peaceful because there were so many people. There was a line of 10 people waiting to check in at the desk before us. The woman's locker area with showers was really basic and needing a remodel and was very crowed. There was a roll of paper towels sitting above the sink to use when drying your hands. Really?? I've been to other beautiful and unique spas so perhaps I'm jaded to the appeal of this one. The one thing I did like was the massage room which was to one end of the property. It had a lovely view. Walking to the massage room was a chilling experience. The walk to the room was totally outside and I was just wearing a robe, of course. I'm truly sorry I didn't like this place more. I've been looking forward to going here for a number of years. By all the great reviews and the number of people at the spa it seems they won't miss me in the future anyway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon? Share your experiences!