“Love this place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Fe
Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon
You added Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon to your Saves list
3451 Hyde Park Rd., 4 Mi From The Plaza On Road To Santa Fe Ski Basin (Box 10200), Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
santa monica, ca
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Have stayed here probably 6 times. I've loved all of the rooms. I love the minimalism, the grounds and the spa. Not a full serve hotel- but has kitchenettes so can make food in the room. I love the zen and out of the wayness. Just a short drive down to town. A must stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Tulsa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I love the concept of 10,000 waves. A japanese style resort with emphasis on spa and simplistic, natural styling. However, our room just fell short. It felt like it needed an update. Maybe a bit of styling to bring it together. On a positive note, I love the grounds and the location. The walk to the spa area was lovely and I enjoyed my spa service very much. My girlfriends and I enjoyed the japanese bath experience and all received massage services. The spa services are top notch. I just feel like they should invest in freshening up the cabins. We rented two cabins for the four of us, and both just seemed a bit run down.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had visited the spa during previous trips to Santa Fe but wanted to stay on property to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday.

We were scheduled to stay in the Tsuki villa. However, while we were driving to Santa Fe, we received a call stating that there had been a plumbing problem that was not going to be able to be fixed immediately resulting in them having to close the villa and move scheduled guests for 3 weeks. The bad thing for us was that they were completely booked for the weekend and they had no place for us on their property.

Long story short...these people understand customer service! They not only made reservations for us at a nice location in town, they paid the bill.

While we were disappointed that we were not able to stay at the property, we will be back and try again. We did enjoy our time at the spa (see my review on the spa) and highly recommend this group to everyone.

It isn't often that you find a business that still understands the importance of customer service. Kudos to Ten Thousand Waves!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

As a "surprise" for our eight year wedding anniversary my husband booked a two night stay at 10,000 Waves. Initially, I was excited thinking this was a hotel/resort with massages, spa, facials treatments, & room service. While they have the spas, massages, & facials, this is a tried & true
spa more like a "retreat" rather than a resort...& they didn't have room service. They barely had food. My husband assumed b/c I was a bath-taker at home that I'd be totally into privately bathing in the nudie w/him outside in 35 degree temps & then jumping into a boiling hot springs tub. Great! If your not a petite 99 lbs at 5'6'' & have a heart arrhythmia or a fainter. Because they cater to a "Japanese style" spa/bath experience your choice of bath is either private in the spa but outside (no thanks, too cold), or communal (definitely no thanks), so don't expect a bathtub in your cabin bathroom. I was also unprepared with having to walk from your cabin, which is quite a walk, in your robe & kimono out in the open in front of everyone else. If you get hungry, make sure you bring food. Except for wheat-free granola, yogurt, fruit, & rice milk (blech) in your mini-fridge, thats all you're getting. They have snack-like foods at the spa gift shop, but if your looking for a place to dine, they don't appear to have a restaurant. While I did enjoy the massage & salt scrub treatment, & found the cabin decor replete w/heated toilets lovely, I really thought 10,000 Waves was very overpriced for the value & experience. This was NOT luxury to me. If you're organic-food eating, trendy health nut, this maybe divine province for you. However, if your just a modest & introverted person it's kinda of a waste of time & money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We don't usually stay in expensive accomodations but we decided to slurge because it was our 20th wedding anniversary. We stayed at a stand alone casita with a walk out patio. Our casita is nice but a llittle cramped. However, we like this place because my husband is a big fan of Japanese onsen and we would like to try the spa treatment. There are only a handful of rooms and we appreciate the woodworking skills/details and the lay back atmosphere. The spa is a little hectic because it is a popular place. It is not a luxurious place but it is pretty and unique. Light breakfast comes with the room and it was adequate for us. We both enjoyed the soaking and the treatment. Having stayed in all kinds of B&Bs and hotels in Santa Fe, I think it is a little on the expensive side but if you take advantage of the spa, it is worth the money. So if you just use it as a place to stay in SF and travel around, I don't believe it worth the money. Very nice treatment at the spa, really nice relaxation room and the outdoor tubs for soaking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

While residing in Japan, I learned to relish the onsen experience. When traveling across the U.S., I try to include a hot spring visit whenever I can. While Ojo Caliente seemed to be much more popular, I liked the Japanese ambience that Ten Thousand Waves promoted. It isn't Japan so don't go with that expectation, however it still delivers.

We had whittled down our room choices to two, and at the suggestion of the hotel staff, we chose Luna. So glad we did. It has it's own enclosed courtyard, so our puppy had free range. They welcome pets, and provide pet beds, bowls, and poop scoops. It also has a wood burning fireplace. They provide split logs and tinder in the rooms, and stock more wood in cupboards strategically placed along the walk way.

Luna does not have a separate bedroom, but others do. It also does not have a full kitchen, but others do. We were only there overnight, so we didn't think it was necessary. The hotel does stock fruit, filtered water, coffee (you need to grind it, which was lovely), an excellent granola, almond breeze/rice dream milk, and tea in every room.

Luna does have a beautifully appointed organic king mattress, made by a Japanese family in Albuquerque, that's a modern version futon. The beddings are organic cotton, tightly woven and so smooth. The bathroom was huge, and Toto toilets cannot be surpassed by any other brand. There are yukata, hopi coats, and bathroom slippers for guest use. The spa soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion are provided for guest use and can be purchased as well.

The reception desk for lodging is along the lines of a small condo check-in. Hours are limited, and the office area is cozy. Everyone we dealt with made us feel welcome. They are undergoing some renovation in areas, and landscaping is being upgraded right now. The gift shop is stocked with quality goods, and we found quite a few neat things to purchase.

The spa area was extremely busy for a Sunday night. Many patrons not staying on property use the spa facilities. Some of the spa staff could use lessons in handling clients while under stress. We watched some patrons mishandled, and could see why some reviews have been negative. Our personal experience, from the planning & appointment setting all the way through the service was as good as any we've experienced anywhere.

My husband was not thoroughly satisfied with his full body massage as I was, so it's important to be as specific as you can when you request a masseuse. He did enjoy & benefit from the head and foot massages. I recommend the cryopeel with Desiree, the salt glow, and use a private bath. You won't regret it. The Ichiban private bath has it's own sauna, and cool down room. Make the bath your last service,but you'll have to schedule the salt glow after your soak.

What would earn it an excellent rating? A Japanese dining facility, which is under construction and due for completion in the summer of 2013. They could easily include ramen in the gift shop, and maybe find a caterer who would prepare somen to be sold as well. Food delivery is limited, and there is not a lot of choice in the spa shop. So we recommend you take your own food for lunch/dinner. It shouldn't be a problem since you don't have to pack much clothing, and you can cut the toiletries in half : ).

We would return. Families would find it welcoming, and there are large private baths that would keep children from disturbing others. The larger accommodations have full kitchens. We liked the fact that we had a hibatchi on our patio, but better for warming up while enjoying the outdoors since there isn't a sink for clean up.

Room Tip: Take the time to research each room, and ask the staff for recommendations.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I spent a night at Ten Thousand Waves in September 2012. It was his first time ever at a spa but I have traveled to destination spas for several years. It seemed a little disorganized upon check in but that may just be because the other spa I travel to regularly is absolutely top notch and I probably shouldn't compare to it. The rooms at Ten Thousand Waves are absolutely gorgeous - we stayed in Rising Moon and it was perfect inside, but it sits right next to the highway and was loud. If you want quiet and relaxing, I highly recommend a room on the other side of the resort. However, I can't see how any of the rooms would be far enough from the highway that they wouldn't have some highway noise. That was the main negative of the stay. We both had massages and they were good. Mine was in a pagoda in the forest with open windows so I could feel a breeze and hear birds singing. Unfortunately I also heard the cars on the highway :( We reserved a private couples hot bath that night at 8:45. We had the Waterfall tub which was great -- LOVED IT. It's a big tub, more than we probably needed for two people, but would be good for larger groups. We also had a cold dip with the waterfall which was nice for cooling down after sitting in the hot tub for awhile. It's nice that these tubs are very private - they are fenced areas and gated with a lock so you can go in your swimsuit or not without being worried. We were there on a full moon so it was incredible sitting in the tub under a bright moon-filled sky.

Also, be aware that there is very little in the way of food on the property. There are a few grab & go sandwiches, etc., but for meals you will need to go into town or order in. There is a delivery service that works with about 10-12 different restaurants and brings it right to your room. We had originally planned to go into Santa Fe to eat dinner but after relaxing with a massage we just ordered in and really enjoyed that. The office has DVDs and we watched a movie and ate dinner in the room before our tubbing time.

Loved the experience, just wish it would have been a more serene location, especially for the $$.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, ask which rooms are furthest from the highway. The property sits lite...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon? Share your experiences!