“Not exactly Onsen, but pretty close.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Fe
Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon
You added Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon to your Saves list
3451 Hyde Park Rd., 4 Mi From The Plaza On Road To Santa Fe Ski Basin (Box 10200), Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Not exactly Onsen, but pretty close.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

While residing in Japan, I learned to relish the onsen experience. When traveling across the U.S., I try to include a hot spring visit whenever I can. While Ojo Caliente seemed to be much more popular, I liked the Japanese ambience that Ten Thousand Waves promoted. It isn't Japan so don't go with that expectation, however it still delivers.

We had whittled down our room choices to two, and at the suggestion of the hotel staff, we chose Luna. So glad we did. It has it's own enclosed courtyard, so our puppy had free range. They welcome pets, and provide pet beds, bowls, and poop scoops. It also has a wood burning fireplace. They provide split logs and tinder in the rooms, and stock more wood in cupboards strategically placed along the walk way.

Luna does not have a separate bedroom, but others do. It also does not have a full kitchen, but others do. We were only there overnight, so we didn't think it was necessary. The hotel does stock fruit, filtered water, coffee (you need to grind it, which was lovely), an excellent granola, almond breeze/rice dream milk, and tea in every room.

Luna does have a beautifully appointed organic king mattress, made by a Japanese family in Albuquerque, that's a modern version futon. The beddings are organic cotton, tightly woven and so smooth. The bathroom was huge, and Toto toilets cannot be surpassed by any other brand. There are yukata, hopi coats, and bathroom slippers for guest use. The spa soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion are provided for guest use and can be purchased as well.

The reception desk for lodging is along the lines of a small condo check-in. Hours are limited, and the office area is cozy. Everyone we dealt with made us feel welcome. They are undergoing some renovation in areas, and landscaping is being upgraded right now. The gift shop is stocked with quality goods, and we found quite a few neat things to purchase.

The spa area was extremely busy for a Sunday night. Many patrons not staying on property use the spa facilities. Some of the spa staff could use lessons in handling clients while under stress. We watched some patrons mishandled, and could see why some reviews have been negative. Our personal experience, from the planning & appointment setting all the way through the service was as good as any we've experienced anywhere.

My husband was not thoroughly satisfied with his full body massage as I was, so it's important to be as specific as you can when you request a masseuse. He did enjoy & benefit from the head and foot massages. I recommend the cryopeel with Desiree, the salt glow, and use a private bath. You won't regret it. The Ichiban private bath has it's own sauna, and cool down room. Make the bath your last service,but you'll have to schedule the salt glow after your soak.

What would earn it an excellent rating? A Japanese dining facility, which is under construction and due for completion in the summer of 2013. They could easily include ramen in the gift shop, and maybe find a caterer who would prepare somen to be sold as well. Food delivery is limited, and there is not a lot of choice in the spa shop. So we recommend you take your own food for lunch/dinner. It shouldn't be a problem since you don't have to pack much clothing, and you can cut the toiletries in half : ).

We would return. Families would find it welcoming, and there are large private baths that would keep children from disturbing others. The larger accommodations have full kitchens. We liked the fact that we had a hibatchi on our patio, but better for warming up while enjoying the outdoors since there isn't a sink for clean up.

Room Tip: Take the time to research each room, and ask the staff for recommendations.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I spent a night at Ten Thousand Waves in September 2012. It was his first time ever at a spa but I have traveled to destination spas for several years. It seemed a little disorganized upon check in but that may just be because the other spa I travel to regularly is absolutely top notch and I probably shouldn't compare to it. The rooms at Ten Thousand Waves are absolutely gorgeous - we stayed in Rising Moon and it was perfect inside, but it sits right next to the highway and was loud. If you want quiet and relaxing, I highly recommend a room on the other side of the resort. However, I can't see how any of the rooms would be far enough from the highway that they wouldn't have some highway noise. That was the main negative of the stay. We both had massages and they were good. Mine was in a pagoda in the forest with open windows so I could feel a breeze and hear birds singing. Unfortunately I also heard the cars on the highway :( We reserved a private couples hot bath that night at 8:45. We had the Waterfall tub which was great -- LOVED IT. It's a big tub, more than we probably needed for two people, but would be good for larger groups. We also had a cold dip with the waterfall which was nice for cooling down after sitting in the hot tub for awhile. It's nice that these tubs are very private - they are fenced areas and gated with a lock so you can go in your swimsuit or not without being worried. We were there on a full moon so it was incredible sitting in the tub under a bright moon-filled sky.

Also, be aware that there is very little in the way of food on the property. There are a few grab & go sandwiches, etc., but for meals you will need to go into town or order in. There is a delivery service that works with about 10-12 different restaurants and brings it right to your room. We had originally planned to go into Santa Fe to eat dinner but after relaxing with a massage we just ordered in and really enjoyed that. The office has DVDs and we watched a movie and ate dinner in the room before our tubbing time.

Loved the experience, just wish it would have been a more serene location, especially for the $$.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, ask which rooms are furthest from the highway. The property sits lite...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Came for a girls wknd from CO. The ladies tub is clothing optional. Most Santa Fe people are very natural & super friendly. We loved the hot springs & sauna. Some ladies were in town from CO celebrating a b-day & stayed in the room. They said it was super nice. We opted not to stay, kinda pricy I feel. The cold pool is COLD!

We both ate a late lunch. The salad was yummy & not overpriced. Love the robes you get to use there. Nice small gift shop.

Will be coming back again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband had a conference in Santa Fe and I joined him for an extended weekend. We stayed at the Inn at the Loretto initially, which was a nice hotel. However, we had massages at ten thousand waves and decided to stay here for our remaining three days. We loved it. The entire property is meticulously landscaped (the hotel and the spa). Being Manhattanites, we loved the sense of being in the woods. We stayed in the Sailor Moon room--nice Japanese touches in the decor without being cheesy.
The spa is also excellent--fantastic massages.

Room Tip: They are all good, but all different. Ask the staff to help you pick one.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

read an article years ago in Marie Claire or Glamour or some other such publication about the great lodging at Ten Thousand Waves -- Houses of the Moon. It was their offering of Airstream trailers that attracted me, but alas, they no longer offer them. I was offered the Luna room for my stay, and it was such a lovely retreat! The room is easily accessible from the front of the property, but also semi-isolated in that I never saw another guest during my stay. The decor is very calming, and I particularly enjoyed the small touches in the room -- there was fresh whole fruit awaiting me upon my arrival, as well as some granola, some soy milk and ice cold water in the minifridge.

The room was very large, as was the bathroom. There is no A/C in the room, but I was there in August, and didn't need it anyway. I can imagine the winter months would be nice to use the fireplace in the room, but I did not have a need for it during my stay.

My room had a flat screen TV (32'?) with cable channels and a nice assortment of music channels. Upon my arrival, the TV was set to a relaxing music channel.

I would not hesitate to recommend this place to couples or someone just looking to get away.

(For what it's worth, the spa facilities are amazing, too, although not included as part of the stay. That said, they offer shuttle rides up and down the hill [to and from your room] if needed, as the hill is steep and can be tough to navigate in the dark.)

• Stayed October 2011
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Cozy, comfortable, relaxing and clean room/cottage. Staff was friendly and accomodating and that is including the staff in the spa. We stayed during winter time so noise was not an issue. Highly recommend the private baths and spa. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

One of my wife and my favorite retreats. Picture yourself sitting a private hot tub( Kobuta is our favorite),snow on the pinons, the sky lit up with stars as you relax and let the cares of the world melt away, in a mountain setting that looks as if Kyoto, Japan has been transported to New Mexico. The rooms are varied , most with an Asian flare. Our favorite ,Tsuki, had a living room with fireplace,and sound system, dining, room, full kitchen. In room continental breakfast. Perfect for a honeymoon, anniversary, or romantic get away. The grounds are beautiful with Asian flare, walks lite with Asian lights line the path to the spa. Many choice of rooms, private baths of different temperatures, gift shop. Winter is our favorite time to visit, however fall, spring , and summer each have their own feel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ten Thousand Waves - Houses of the Moon? Share your experiences!