“Amazing Property - Beautifully Appointed” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Summer Deal - Save 15%
Ranked #28 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Houston, Texas
“Amazing Property - Beautifully Appointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I recently stayed at the hotel St. Francis in Santa Fe, New Mexico. This hotel was beautifully appointed and had excellent service. The candle lit (at night) lobby was cozy. Guests could enjoy a glass of wine from the lobby bar while seated by a wood burning fireplace.

I had an oversized guest room that overlooked the front of the hotel. The rustic interior decor was true to the originating theme of the Franciscan Order - the namesake of the hotel.
The bed was so comfortable...I almost forgot where I was!!!

The restaurant,Tabla de Los Santos is amazing!!! Chef Estevan Garcia insists on organic food preparation!! Try the Chile Relleno...it’s to die for!!! I told Chef Estevan....he needs to "throw down" with Chef Bobby Flay from the Food Network!!!

I would highly recommend this property. Its spiritual connection is calming and helps to rejuvenate the soul.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

592 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

Hotel St. Francis is beautiful. The lobby is calm and welcoming. The front desk staff is the best. The rooms were small, but comfortable. I absolutely love the look of the hotel. A plus - Aveda products.

The only drawback to Hotel St. Francis was the restaurant Tabla. The food was good but the service was incredibly slow and non-responsive. The staff in the restaurant were more concerned with themselves and conversation with each other than with interacting with the customers. . . very disappointing service. The nice thing is that there are plenty of incredible restaurants around the hotel with great service. My advice, don't eat at Tabla.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
RoomsMgr, Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
"Hotel St Francis Getaway"

Thank you for staying at the Hotel St. Francis. Your comments that the hotel looked beautiful and that the lobby was calm and welcoming was very much appreciated. I also appreciate your comment stating that the front desk staff is the best. With our newly completed renovation, the hotel has undergone a major transformation. The spectacular changes allow our guest to experience an even more historical and authentic cultural experience. The hotel is designed in a style where peace and tranquility are the key design elements.Here, utter simplicity is an exacting art. Additionally, our guestrooms are furnished with hand-crafted furniture created by Santa Fe artisans.

I am glad that you liked the food in our restaurant. At the Tabla de Los Santos, the hotels beautiful three meal restaurant, our guests enjoy food based upon local traditions and incorporating the freshest ingredients available from the local Farmer's Market. Although you enjoyed the food, I wanted to take the opportunity to apologize for the disappointing service. We want our guests to be met with a well-trained staff that puts guest needs and satisfaction before anything else. The service that you experienced was not indicative of what we offer. I will personally follow up on your concern to correct our service. Thank you for your patronage.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

Checking into the hotel was easy and the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. The loby was beautiful and the hotel bar had a good selection of cocktail. The room was a little bit on the small size, but that did not bother my boyfriend and I. Overall, we had a wonderful stay, and we would stay at the Hotel St. Francis again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

We stayed at the St. Francis for four nights for our anniversary. Thanks to the front desk manager, we got a fabulous room with a king-size bed and view of the town and the mountains. As other reviewers have noted, the decor of this hotel is that of a monastery; simple, stark, rustic, and very peaceful. It has a very calming effect. If you're looking for cliche southwestern rugs and kokopeli figures at every turn, there are plenty of other places to go. I absolutely love the look and feel of the St. Francis, and enjoyed sitting by the grand fireplace in the lobby and watching people walk in for the first time and be completely awed. It's that cool.

Yes, rooms are typically quite small at this hotel. But why would you hang out in your hotel room when there is so much to do in Santa Fe? Walk the plaza (it's only two blocks away), drive up into the national forest for a hike, visit the Upaya Zen Center, explore the galleries of Canyon Road (also within walking distance), get fabulous coffee at a local bakery or bookstore. We didn't turn our television on the whole time we were there. Why would you?

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
AR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Upon arriving to Hotel St. Francis my party and I were thrilled and impressed with the relaxing atmosphere. The hotel was supposedly newly renovated, which was apparent. Calm spa-like music was heard overhead throughout the lobby and sitting area, muted colors, angelic decorations and large glowing candles only added to a cozy setting. Although all of this sounds like a dream come true, we were quickly brought back to reality when an alarming fight broke out in the lobby area as my party and I were warming up by the fire.

The fight was between the bar manager and a kitchen employee. There was no shame for anyone sitting in or entering and exiting the lobby as the kitchen employee viciously yelled at bar manager for being disrespectful. "You bought some coke from my boy, yo! You owe me!," the employee yelled. The manager could barely be heard, as I'm sure he was just trying to calm the drug induced employee. But nothing would work so the argument escalated to a threat of lives and then both fleeing down the street to fight it out. Several bar employees were frantically running around peaking out the front door to see what the outcome would be. About 10 minutes after the start of the drug related fight the two returned hugging as if nothing happened. This continued on for another two rounds - yelling and threatening and back to being friends - before we all decided it was safer to be back in our room.

I mentioned the situation to the manager on duty the next morning. Although I was drilled by him with questions like, "how did you know they worked here" and "what were they wearing," he only thanked us for telling him and never offered anything to compensate for the inconvenience or fear of our lives.

On top of all this the Tea and Sherry hour only accepts "civilized guest" as the tea lady stated to my husband when he inquired about ordering some tea he saw sitting on a table. We quickly moved to the bar area where we felt more accepted. Thankfully, Chris, our bartender was kind, helpful and knowledgeable about drinks and the city so that made up for the rude tea lady.

Very upset that such a beautiful place will have to be knocked off my list of places to visit again or to recommend.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
RoomsMgr, Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, April 1, 2010
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel St Francis. I am glad that you
where thrilled about the results of the new renovation and the relaxing
atmosphere. Our goal of the renovation was to reintroduce a style where
peace and tranquility are the key underlying elements. In a world where our
minds are often cluttered with vast amounts of information, technology and
complexity, the Hotel St Francis was meant the be a place of contrast. Here,
utter simplicity is an exacting art. Thank you for your comments.

However, I did want to sincerely apologizes for the situation that occurred
in our hotel lounge and for the impression that was interpreted by you and
our customers. Please note that the so called "kitchen employee" that you
mentioned was not an employee of the Hotel St Francis. Our hotel policies
have strict standards pertaining to employees visiting the workplace and for
employees drinking alcohol on property. In short, we do not tolerate
employees consuming alcohol in the work place. In this case, the intoxicated
bar parton was causing a scene and thus was being evicted from our lounge by
our bar manger. I apologize for the inconvenience that this caused. You can be
confident that I have personally followed up on all of your concerns to
correct. Thank you for your patronage.
Taos NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

I stayed here for one night before Xmas. I've stayed at the old St. Francis - before remodel - many times. I like the remodel, and I like the rooms. Before it was sort of shabby-chic European kitsch. Now it is very spare. The rooms are mostly undecorated, almost stark. But I liked it. The room was ascetic - in keeping with the monastery theme - but soothing and comfortable. Good beds & linens. I love the Moorish lobby. Mixed reviews on the staff. When I made the reservation the clerk was unhelpful and rude. I understand he is no longer employed there. And thereafter the desk could not have been nicer or more helpful. The St. Francis is right next to the Inn of the Governors, and I have an abiding love for that hotel. Unlike the St. Francis, free parking and an awesome breakfast. But I would advise anyone to check the rates. If the St. Francis is significantly cheaper, go for it. I enjoyed myself and will not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

I was a little skeptical after I booked the Hotel St. Francis for our getaway after reading some of the reviews. We booked through Expedia on a special fall rate. $90 for a queen and $109 for a king…and honestly for the price, it was a great stay. I wouldn’t pay more than $100.00 for a queen room. I also would not stay in the hotel if you plan on skiing because there isn’t a lot of room for your clothes, ski equipment etc. If you do stay there and ski I would get the king room. It has a little more room and there is a nook within the closet to put your luggage. The renovated rooms were done beautifully. We didn’t mind the sink in the room. We barely heard our neighbors. Some rooms have carpet, some are wood floors but both are nice. You do have control of the temp and it is hard to find the right temperature but it wasn’t a big deal. The king room has a tub/shower while the queen has only a shower. They don’t change the sheets and towels every day (once every 4 days) because Santa Fe has a water shortage but you can request them to. Fitness center includes 1 bicycle, 1 treadmill, and a universal machine in a VERY small, basement-like room. The lobby is beautiful with a 2 couches and a bench in front of a fire. We sat there every night before we went up to bed. You can also enjoy a drink from Secreto in front of the fire. Sometimes they will notice you’re there but just get up and get it yourself; Secreto is right across the lobby.
That being said I’ll move to the personnel working there. We checked in Friday night at 7pm. No one was there to help with the luggage. We grabbed our luggage and walked inside and no one was there either! We checked in and it went rather quickly. After check-in the bell hop, who should have helped us with the car, asked us if we needed help with the luggage upstairs. No, we didn’t need help. The evening front desk included this young guy who walked around every evening like he owned the place. It was rather annoying. Though I think he had his favorite guests and we weren’t one of them for some reason. My father and I tried talking to him but he wasn’t that responsive. Every night when we were waiting or people watching in the lobby it was comical to watch him. I didn’t like how when I asked him if there was a cigar lounge anywhere in Santa Fe (there is a no smoking ordinance there) he said no they are private, and this is a no-smoking city, etc. He said it so matter-of-factly. Well, both Saturday and Sunday night we saw him go right outside next to the no-smoking ordinance sign and light up a cigarette. There were also people sitting on the nice couches outside SMOKING! Right near the clearly visible sign. I find cigarette smoke more annoying than cigar smoke. Well I found a lounge, Rio Chama. Rio Chama is a restaurant, bar, and cigar lounge. We went there two nights to enjoy drinks and cigars for my husband and dad. Secreto, their bar, grabs a mixed crowd and can get crowded. So we were in the lobby killing time in front of the fire so I used the bathroom downstairs. It was DISGUSTING! It wasn’t that late (maybe 7 pm) and the bathrooms were absolutely gross. I told the front desk staff and he seemed put out that I would tell him. I just wanted to let him know because it is a very nice hotel, the bathrooms would be an embarrassment to me if I managed that hotel. This review is getting long so I will tell you; yes I will stay there again for the discounted rate rate. We didn’t enjoy the night front desk staff, we thought the young gentleman was rude and unprofessional, and there wasn’t a concierge. The lobby and rooms were beautiful. I was prepared, after reading reviews, for the small rooms so I didn’t mind them. The hotel is at a great location. We didn’t eat at their restaurant; there were other great places that we knew we wanted to try. Check out my other reviews for places we enjoyed to eat at and visit to get some ideas.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
RoomsMgr, Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our hotel service and amenities. I want to apologize for the actions of my staff and for not meeting all of your expectations. I'm glad that you liked our newly renovated guestrooms.We want our guests to be met with a well-trained staff that puts guest needs and satisfaction before anything else. I am sorry if this was not your experience. You can be confident that I have personally followed-up on all of your concerns to correct. We value your patronage.

Been to Hotel St. Francis? Share your experiences!