“Beautiful Hotel, needs to work out a few kinks. Great location.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Special Offer - Save 20%
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Hotel, needs to work out a few kinks. Great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

I was a little skeptical after I booked the Hotel St. Francis for our getaway after reading some of the reviews. We booked through Expedia on a special fall rate. $90 for a queen and $109 for a king…and honestly for the price, it was a great stay. I wouldn’t pay more than $100.00 for a queen room. I also would not stay in the hotel if you plan on skiing because there isn’t a lot of room for your clothes, ski equipment etc. If you do stay there and ski I would get the king room. It has a little more room and there is a nook within the closet to put your luggage. The renovated rooms were done beautifully. We didn’t mind the sink in the room. We barely heard our neighbors. Some rooms have carpet, some are wood floors but both are nice. You do have control of the temp and it is hard to find the right temperature but it wasn’t a big deal. The king room has a tub/shower while the queen has only a shower. They don’t change the sheets and towels every day (once every 4 days) because Santa Fe has a water shortage but you can request them to. Fitness center includes 1 bicycle, 1 treadmill, and a universal machine in a VERY small, basement-like room. The lobby is beautiful with a 2 couches and a bench in front of a fire. We sat there every night before we went up to bed. You can also enjoy a drink from Secreto in front of the fire. Sometimes they will notice you’re there but just get up and get it yourself; Secreto is right across the lobby.
That being said I’ll move to the personnel working there. We checked in Friday night at 7pm. No one was there to help with the luggage. We grabbed our luggage and walked inside and no one was there either! We checked in and it went rather quickly. After check-in the bell hop, who should have helped us with the car, asked us if we needed help with the luggage upstairs. No, we didn’t need help. The evening front desk included this young guy who walked around every evening like he owned the place. It was rather annoying. Though I think he had his favorite guests and we weren’t one of them for some reason. My father and I tried talking to him but he wasn’t that responsive. Every night when we were waiting or people watching in the lobby it was comical to watch him. I didn’t like how when I asked him if there was a cigar lounge anywhere in Santa Fe (there is a no smoking ordinance there) he said no they are private, and this is a no-smoking city, etc. He said it so matter-of-factly. Well, both Saturday and Sunday night we saw him go right outside next to the no-smoking ordinance sign and light up a cigarette. There were also people sitting on the nice couches outside SMOKING! Right near the clearly visible sign. I find cigarette smoke more annoying than cigar smoke. Well I found a lounge, Rio Chama. Rio Chama is a restaurant, bar, and cigar lounge. We went there two nights to enjoy drinks and cigars for my husband and dad. Secreto, their bar, grabs a mixed crowd and can get crowded. So we were in the lobby killing time in front of the fire so I used the bathroom downstairs. It was DISGUSTING! It wasn’t that late (maybe 7 pm) and the bathrooms were absolutely gross. I told the front desk staff and he seemed put out that I would tell him. I just wanted to let him know because it is a very nice hotel, the bathrooms would be an embarrassment to me if I managed that hotel. This review is getting long so I will tell you; yes I will stay there again for the discounted rate rate. We didn’t enjoy the night front desk staff, we thought the young gentleman was rude and unprofessional, and there wasn’t a concierge. The lobby and rooms were beautiful. I was prepared, after reading reviews, for the small rooms so I didn’t mind them. The hotel is at a great location. We didn’t eat at their restaurant; there were other great places that we knew we wanted to try. Check out my other reviews for places we enjoyed to eat at and visit to get some ideas.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
RoomsMgr, Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our hotel service and amenities. I want to apologize for the actions of my staff and for not meeting all of your expectations. I'm glad that you liked our newly renovated guestrooms.We want our guests to be met with a well-trained staff that puts guest needs and satisfaction before anything else. I am sorry if this was not your experience. You can be confident that I have personally followed-up on all of your concerns to correct. We value your patronage.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Vashon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

After almost a decade of staying at Hotel St. Francis, I saddened to report the heart and soul of this venerable old Santa Fe hotel has been lost. The new renovation has seriously destroyed one of our favorite spots.

We loved its small boutique-ish atmosphere, With the new renovation the place is now bleak and lifeless. The intended new design concept, a stone monastery with a 5 foot diameter stone water filled baptismal bowl as the center piece, leaves this traveler stone cold.

In the past, the rooms always have been small, but warmly furnished. The new décor is convent cell bleak. A tiny wash basin and miniscule lavatory stand below a single bare filament light bulb makes simple tasks like inserting a contact lens difficult and for a woman, inadequate for make up. I hate doing penance and having to pay for it!

One of the courtesy bath robes had a blood stain on the seat of the robe. To plug in the coffee make, one must decide to unplug the TV or the floor lamp. The room furnishings are minimal and a boring monotone in colour. The room suffers from a lack of attention to detail.

This was not the Hotel St. Francis we had known and loved. The night before we'd been out salsa dancing. After diner and drinks at several places, The Inn of The Anasazi, Del Charos, Hotel Eldorado, and The Pink Adobe, we returned to our beloved St Francis and found a cold fire place and an empty lobby. Every other bar, or hotel lobby, had a hearty Piñon fire going with people enjoying a warm friendly atmosphere, but not the St. Francis. Cold and barren. The charm went out with the new renovation.

Over the last decade, my wife and I came to the St. Francis several times a year and almost always brought friends. We loved the warmth and friendliness of the St. Francis. After one night we checked out and found other accommodations.

Sadly, we bid you Adios!

PS: About 100 feet away is the fabulous Inn of The Governors. Unlike the Hotel Santa Fe, The Inn of The Governors does not charge $9.00 / night parking, and offers a complete warm breakfast, and a complimentary tea and sherry beverage in the afternoon. Additionally, the Inn has all the colorful rooms and decoration one would expect in Santa Fe. This is our new Santa Fe digs.

colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

Hotel St. Francis costs $9 extra per night to park in a lot next to hotel
Inn of Gov - Parking is free

Hotel St. Francis has no breakfast buffet, you will have to go find a restaurant or use their restaurant.
Inn of Gov - breakfast buffet is included and it's a big selection and very nice!

Hotel St. Francis - rooms are very tiny, you will wish you had only considered a king and nothing less because of the tiny space and sink is beside your bed in the Queen. Nice decor though and good selection of pillows. No refrigerator in room.

Inn of Gov. - rooms are smallish but plenty of places for storage including a closet. Refrigerator in room!

The Hotel St. Francis has a lovely lobby to say one really great thing. Their maid service is not great. They did not notice when we left the empty lotion to show we could use another one, instead gave us 4 new soaps. They also do not change your sheets unless you specifically leave the maid service tag hanging on your door. They gave us a top sheet with a big hole in it which got ripped even bigger due to our feet getting caught in it. The room on the inside court is quiet but our light was not working on one side of the bed. They switched us to another room but that one had a very loose faucet so we went back to original room but wished we hadn't, too dim.

Finally, the toilets in the lobby were not working. Trash overflowed also for a full day.

Inn of Governors - experienced maid service and staff is wonderful - we have been there many times but decided to give Hotel St. Francis

We'll be going back to Inn of the Governors from now on. oh yes - Inn of Gov has a pool, Hotel St. Francis does not.

Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

I was in Sante Fe for the second time and knew I wanted to stay within the Plaza. There are quite a few hotels around the Plaza but St. Francis is in the best location. My room was very cozy and the bed was very comfortable. There is a restaurant and bar within the hotel and the lobby is lit with candle light at night. I really enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend St. Francis.

Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

If you want to get away from Americanized hotel chains, the Hotel Saint Francis is the perfect location! Recently renovated, the architects and designers did a brilliant job in redesigning this historic hotel into something unique and exquisite.

Inspired by the Franciscan missionaries in New Mexico, this hotel was designed in a style where peace and tranquility are the key design elements. With utter simplicity, you feel as to have escaped the busyness of everyday life into an oasis of romance and pleasure. The St. Francis has the distinction of being the oldest hotel in Santa Fe, and for a history buff like myself, that made my stay all the more interesting.

Dining at the Tabla De Los Santos restaurant exceeded my every expectation! The service, salads, wine, entree, and desserts were spectacular. My fiancé worded it this way, “There’s a party going on in my mouth!” After our beautiful fire side dinner we walked through the lobby to the couches and sat peacefully enjoying one another’s company. The hotel is breath taking in the evening with the candles everywhere and the serene music playing softly in the back ground.

I could go on and on about how perfect our stay was, but let me quickly address a few of the reviews I read. The room size - yes it is smaller than most hotel rooms built today, but that is because it was built in the 1920’s. The rooms are nicely arranged and I never felt cramped or uncomfortable. If you’re staying for leisure, then it should meet your every need. The bed and linens were so comfortable I wanted to take them home with me! The bathrooms are a bit small, but all appliances are new and updated. Why do you need a huge bathroom anyways? The sinks are in the bedrooms, which I found unique and brilliant!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Bainbridge Island, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Historic hotel that has been completely renovated. Beds, pillows and linens are wonderful. One problem and it is evidently going to be remedied shortly, is lack of lighting in the rooms. Floor lamps on order, according to the general manager. The only other consideration is that the rooms have no horizontal surface for writing, holding a laptop, etc. Really, no desk or anything that can substitute for one. Great location only a block from main plaza and all the wonderful galleries of Santa Fe's historic area. Call and see if lighting has arrived before you book!

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We stayed at the St. Vrain Hotel during the Ballon Festival and it was a nice hotel.When we booked it with the online website, they said it was full so I called them and it wasnt. The hotel was recently remodeled and it reminded me of Europe. The rooms were small, but nice. Im not sure if they have a speaker somewhere in the room but it sounded like ocean waves most of the night, which didnt bother me. The staff was friendly, but you are charged about 9 per day to park across the street. The room price was 169 plus tax. Go eat at Cafe Guadalupe for breakfast-it was sooo good and was a nice walk to the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple