“centrally located” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   210 Don Gaspar Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
“centrally located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Hotel St Francis is NOT your chain hotel. It is a historic hotel a block off the main square. Close to shopping, great restaurants and many attractions. Since parking in downtown Santa Fe is at a premium especially on the weekend St Francis does charge for parking ($18) per night, but you don't need your car if you are going to be in central Santa Fe. Rooms were clean but small, hotel was recently updated. It was quiet. Bed was comfortable, queen size only no kings. When we were there hotel was full, bar was active as was the restaurant. Had breakfast at La Tabla 3 mornings, food was delicious.

Hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. Bradford was especially helpful regarding a pedicab tour of central Santa Fe.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Michael M, thank you for coming to stay at our historic hotel. We love knowing that our great location worked well for you and that you got to explore the vibrant downtown area of Santa Fe! We're glad you had a quiet oasis to come "home" to, and that all staff members were helpful. Should you come visit us again, don't hesitate to inquire about our King sized or two-double bed accommodations; depending upon availability we do have a range of room sizes and types. Meanwhile thank you for taking the time to write a review. Sincerely, Alder Seaman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We chose to stay at Hotel St Francis for our 2nd anniversary wknd getaway and we were not disappointed! The hotel is beautiful!! The staff is friendly and always eager to assist guests. We enjoyed the central location of the hotel to all the downtown amenities. We never once had difficulty finding parking. The bar is definitely an added bonus!!! Cannot wait to return!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello MichaelLaniW; Happy Anniversary and thank you for making Hotel St Francis a part of your celebrations! We are all so glad to know you are excited to return; we're excited at the prospect of having you back with us for more top notch food and drink, not to mention a peaceful room in the middle of downtown. Best wishes, Alder Seaman
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is the second time we've stayed at the St. Frances and we love it. The location is perfect and the staff is so friendly and very helpful. We had a great deal of luggage as we were in Albuquerque for a week before our stay in Santa Fe and the staff was great in helping us to get it from our car to our room and back at the end of our stay. The rooms are small, but they have everything you need including a refrigerator, safe and a hair dryer (three things I always look for). The bar and restaurant are also very good with great services. We will be back!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hello wanderingtogether! Thank you for your review! We love that you loved our historic Hotel St Francis and we look forward to seeing you both again soon. Our staff was happy to be of help to you during your stay and we would love the opportunity to welcome you for another comfortable stay complete with excellent food and the best drinks in town. Sincerely, Alder Seaman
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent and there is available parking for a reasonable rate. It has a nice restaurant on site, that in spite of having excellent food, was not at all busy. It is within quick walking distance (about two blocks) from the main plaza and cathedral and only steps away from shops.

The queen rooms are small, but it is a historic hotel, so that is to be expected. Some look out onto a ventilation shaft and directly into the windows across the way, so don't expect a view. But they are charmingly appointed.

My only complaints were that the bathroom, especially the shower, wasn't clean. I stayed on two separate nights and the first time, a giant wad of someone else's hair (mine isn't nearly that long) was attached to the shower wall. The second night, no one noticed the personal shower gel that someone left behind hanging on the shower head.

My other complaint was that the Friday morning desk crew could really use some retraining in the concept of customer service. When I approached the desk, the two clerks were chatting. When the phone rang, one went to work on the computer telling the girl to answer the phone, leaving me to stand there and tap my fingers waiting to be checked out. Honestly, there's no excuse to leave the person who is physically present to talk to someone one the phone. The man on the computer needed to refocus his attention on customers rather than technology and the girl should have put the phone on hold if that was her choice. Also, the answer to the question "when I come back, could I have a room with a view?" should not be "we can give you a room without a window if you want." Both of the people who checked me in on Thursday and Sunday were really pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: The rooms that look over the patio are reasonably quiet even with the diners eating.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Geekamicus, thank you for coming to stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review! It's good to hear that you were charmed by the rooms and liked the central location. Your feedback regarding the bathrooms and the desk service are much appreciated and duly noted. We will certainly use this review as an opportunity to further train our staff! We hope to roll out the welcome carpet for you again when you are next in the area. Yours truly, Alder Seaman
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Just finished our 4th of July weekend getaway and loved the hotel! The staff and housekeeping was very attentive. The rooms were small but worked fine for us! Loved all the windows in the room! The room was very bright, clean, and we always left the windows open since the weather was wonderful there. We had drinks at the hotel bar Secreto Lounge...the bartender Chris was great! Drinks were wonderful especially the Spicy Secreto...my fav! The covered patio in front of the hotel was a great place to relax with a drink in the afternoon and evenings. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, HuskerGalFromDenver! We're so glad you got to experience the lovely sunny weather and the best cocktails in Santa Fe during your time here at Hotel St Francis. It will be our absolute pleasure to welcome you back for your next visit; meanwhile thank you for taking the time to post a review. Sincerely, Alder Seaman
BETHESDA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I was very ill during my stay at the hotel due to a cold picked up on an airplane. The staff at the hotel took wonderful care of me by checking on me periodically, providing urgent care directions, providing a thermometer to test my temperature, etc. Both Anne and Brad were very helpful and made me feel well taken care of when I was feeling so sick I just wanted to go home. I got well and really enjoyed the rest of my stay at the friendliest hotel I've ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want at the desk
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hello Robert G; we're so happy to have been of help to you during your stay and we appreciate your kind words regarding our staff! Anne and Brad will be thrilled to get your feedback, and it's good to hear you got to enjoy at least some of your visit to the "City Different" sans cold. We would love to roll out the carpet for you whenever you're in the mood for a relaxing return visit. Sincerely, Alder Seaman
hotczech
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

From start to finish this was a miserable experience. Starting with reservations there were issues. The reservation service cannot handle a reservation from a block of rooms. After many phone calls to the coordinator at the hotel were not returned, I finally reached Teresa who said that she would book my room and cancel the reservations that I had made at their sister hotel the Chimayo which I had made just to have some place to stay for the wedding. Teresa was supposed to send an email verification but of course nothing came. The week before our arrival I received a reminder from the Chimayo about my stay there - obviously Teresa had not cancelled the booking. I immediately called the St. Francis and luckily she had booked us a room there.
We arrived on on Friday afternoon and there was one person at the desk who was valiantly trying to check three of us in at the same time, not very successfully!
As stated previously there is NO baggage help available.
Our friends warned that the A/C had been non existent the night before so we immediately asked for a fan. Sure enough there was no A/C on either night of our stay. Yes the nights are cool but if you open you window you have city light pollution and in our case the air handler outside was running all night even though it was not cooling.
We did get half off of our room for the inconvenience but the story is not over yet.
I inadvertently left my brushes in the only tiny drawer under the sink. I called on Monday after realizing that they were missing and were told that housekeeping would be contacted. I received no call back. Wednesday I called and spoke to Alder, the same Alder who is answering all of these comments, and she told me that the room was now occupied but that she would put a note in the log for housekeeping to check on Sunday when the current guests left. I waited patiently until Sunday at noon and was told by housekeeping that the brushes had been found on Friday and thrown out!
After that I decided that Heritage hotels needed to know what was going on so I called and spoke to someone in Guest Relations. She assured me that someone would call me back....that was Monday and today is Wednesday and I have not heard a word.
I give up!
I feel sorry for the desk staff who have to deal with all of these complaints. My experience is not unique, every member of the wedding group had similar issues and we all got reductions in our room rate.

This hotel is not worth it, there are other, better hotels in Santa Fe!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear hotczech, thank you for coming to stay at our historic Hotel St Francis. As we spoke on the phone while you were creating your review, I will simply say thank you for your feedback and apologize again for any miscommunication during my days off. Thank you, Alder Kaitlin Seaman

Been to Hotel St. Francis? Share your experiences!