“kind of wish I stayed at another place down the street” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Special Offer - Save 20%
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Somerset, New Jersey
“kind of wish I stayed at another place down the street”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We booked this hotel for one night, our first of our week-long trip. We were on a budget, and booked a standard room. The hotel is right in downtown Santa Fe, within walking distance of almost everything, so I was willing to pay a higher price for a smaller room. My first impression of the hotel was positive- as the lobby and outdoor lounge area were very nicely decorated. The lobby was really stunning; candles lit all around, high ceilings with arched entranceways to the other sections of the lobby, antique light fixtures with dim lights casting soft shadows all over the seating area, even a fireplace- it felt as though you had stepped into the past. It all oozed Southwest charm and history. Check-in was quick and we made our way up to the room, excited.
But when we opened the door, we were a little surprised. The door opened up right next to the head of the bed, and there was a sink across from the bed and the door. The room was very, very small, which was semi-expected, as this is an old hotel. I could have dealt with the size issue, but I felt that in other areas, it was clearly form over function. For instance, the sink only had two settings, fire hose, or light dribble. Anytime I needed to wash my hands, brush my teeth, or wash my face, everything was soaking wet; my clothes, the whole basin around the sink, and even the floor. The room's only mirror was behind the sink, and a dim light hung overhead. I found it difficult to see well enough to try and get ready to go out There wasn't anywhere to sit but the bed, which was comfortable but firm, with lots of saggy feather pillows.
And thank goodness my boyfriend and I are very close, because there was no privacy whatsoever! The toilet/shower room was directly off the bedroom, pretty much next to the bed. It was beyond tight!! You had to pick up the bathmat to open or close the door. There was a shower with no tub. The shower looked nice and modern, but it was so dark, I couldn't tell. Honestly, I could barely see, and there was not enough space for toiletries in the shower stall- most everything had to go on the floor. And thank goodness I put a towel down on the floor, because water went everywhere. The bathroom was really my biggest issue. Not having a sink near the toilet is also odd in my opinion. The view was of other rooms, right into their windows. Also you had to pay for parking, but they did offer free Wi-Fi. Overall, I was glad we only had to stay one night, as it was just too uncomfortable. If you do choose this hotel, I would definitely suggest getting a non- standard room... as I'm sure other parts of the hotel are just as good as everyone says in their reviews. If not, try the Inn of Governors right down the street- it looked pretty great- even had a pool

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello Matanda28 and thank you so much for posting a review of your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and we are so glad to hear that you liked our lovely remodeled lobby with its historic southwest charm. In fact, the entire hotel was remodeled in 2008 but since it is an historic building we could not remove walls during the remodel, necessitating sinks inside some of the guest rooms instead of inside the bathrooms. The bathroom lights have small dimmer switches on them and we do provide extra lamps for the rooms at the front desk. In any case, your review is very important to us and your comments have been discussed in our latest managers’ meeting. We would love the chance to welcome you back to enjoy a comfortable bed in a more spacious deluxe room the next time you and your partner visit Santa Fe. Alder Seaman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Charleston, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 days at Hotel St. Francis earlier this month and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, with the exception of the one unfortunate dinner that we chose to eat at the hotel restaurant, Tabla. So I'll start with our poor experience and then describe how wonderful this hotel is. The restaurant menu looked absolutely delectable and after a week of chile-based meals, we opted to share the rib eye steak. Our first disappointment was when the server brought our meal with an extra plate, necessitating a sloppy table-side scrape and drop of the steak, potatoes and asparagus onto my plate. These days, it is very common to share meals, and we noted to one another that even the airport bar had split our shared lunch in the kitchen before bringing it to the table! We felt this was very poor presentation for a restaurant that presents itself as a fine dining establishment. I wish I could say that the meal was good enough to compensate for the do-it-yourself service attitude, but my steak was rubbery and the vegetables were unseasoned until I applied salt and pepper. I did not eat my steak (it wasn't worth the calories!) and the server apologized, discounted our bill and told us that we'd be contacted by the food and beverage manager the next day. We never heard from the food and beverage manager, but frankly we would have preferred to have a delicious steak instead of a discounted meal and an apology.
The hotel itself was lovely, serene, immaculately clean and exactly as represented in the website photos. Our standard king room had a large closet for our clothing and luggage and we are still talking about how comfortable the bed and bedding were. The desk staff was cordial and friendly and I had the most delicious cocktail ever in the Secreto bar (try the sage infused margarita...it is amazing). If we ever return to Santa Fe, we'll look forward to staying at the Hotel St. Francis again, but we will avoid the restaurant and walk across the street to Pasqual's cafe instead.

Room Tip: Avoid the restaurant! Enjoy the Secreto bar!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Hello fjkdla and thank you for posting a review of your stay here with us. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed our historic, serene hotel and your king room. Our beds and linens are some of our favorite features as well and we're happy that you remember them fondly. Our staff does indeed pride itself on top notch guest service, and you are not the first guest to rave about the incredibly imaginative cocktails we serve in Secreto. Your comments about the restaurant have certainly been passed along and we sincerely appreciate your feedback. We apologize if any part of your meal was less than relaxing and delicious and we do take your response seriously. We hope to welcome you back for another restful stay next time you come through the area. Alder Seaman
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at Hotel St. Francis twice during the last week while on business travel. Both times the hotel was very clean, staff were friendly, the food in the restaurant was fantastic. Alejandro, Jerry, Leah, and Alex were wonderful while we were dining the in the restaurant. I will definitely stay there again. Great Job!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HHandR, Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel St. Francis and taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to know that your room and our staff accommodated your needs during your stay. We would like to welcome you back for an enjoyable meal in Tabla de los Santos. Jarenda Ortiz
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel that contributed greatly to our experience in Santa Fe.

They say that the look and feel of a hotel's lobby is essential to a hotel's success, and in the case of the Hotel St. Francis in Santa Fe, they nailed it! I actually booked this hotel because of its serene, museum-like lobby filled with religious objects and relics. The historic photos on the second floor were amazing.

We had a ground-floor, doggie-friendly room which was sufficiently large, clean and bright, with tall ceilings and nice linens.

We had dinner in the hotel's restaurant, the "La Table de Los Santos", and our waiter Carlos was a delight! He was sweet and funny and made a terrific experience for us. The dinner and dessert was excellent.

This hotel and restaurant are also perfectly located in the Santa Fe Plaza area.

A big thumbs up, and as always we are grateful for their dog friendly policy.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AlderKaitlin, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hello PTown4545 and thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We're so glad to hear we helped you enjoy your visit to Santa Fe! Our property is the oldest hotel in the city, and we love the fact that you appreciated its serenity and charm as well as its historic significance. Carlos and all the rest of our friendly staff would love to welcome you and your pup back to Hotel St Francis the next time you have a Santa Fe adventure. Alder Seaman
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am a native Santa Fean, but my parents still live in the city. Recently, I had to travel there on business and needed to be close to the city central. The St. Francis is *very* centrally located and on previous trips I had spent time in their bar and restaurant and thought it would be nice to stay there as everyone in town knows where it is and I thought it would be a nice place to meet people.

I hadn't been there in about a decade and I was very surprised when I walked through the door. Since my previous time there, it has been acquired by a locally owned hotel chain and the interior has been completely revamped to represent a "mission-style" feel, complete with stone floor, candlesticks and sculptures of St. Francis. It's as if a "hush" descends on you when you walk through the door.

My room was an economy space, but ample enough for a single person and complete with a closet and television, a sink and bathroom, and quite honestly, the nicest shower head I've ever experienced in any hotel. (A big bonus after a day's worth of meetings, let me tell you!) Downstairs, the bar was a delight - it is now called "Secreto" and it offers a fabulous bar menu of delightful cocktails comprised of top shelf liquors and a variety of fruits including mangoes, oranges, blueberries - well, I didn't have the gumption to try them all, much as I wanted to! All are served by "mixologist" Chris Milligan, a delightful chap with a flair for making a drink and keeping up chatter with the variety of guests around the bar.

Because of the sheer volume of fine dining choices in Santa Fe, I didn't make it to the hotel dining room for dinner - but on my final day I enjoyed a hearty (and affordable, around $10) breakfast of poached eggs on a bed of steamed spinach. (It had a fancy name but I've forgotten it. All of the staff throughout the hotel was smiling and friendly, but special thanks go to Gerick, a young man who checked me in and out and was careful to inform me about the many attractions in Santa Fe.

All told - aces. I would stay there again and would recommend to others that they do the same. Price was right and the location? Unbeatable.

Room Tip: I didn't make a room selection but was placed above the south side (?) parking lot. It was just...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HHandR, Hotel St.Francis Front Desk at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel St. Francis and taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to know that our location, Secreto Bar, and staff accommodated you during your stay. Our staff takes pride in the hotel and our guest service. We would like to welcome you back during future visits to Santa Fe to enjoy our mission style ambiance. Jarenda Ortiz
Bandung, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Absolutely delightful visit to Santa Fe, and perfect hotel for us. A big cheers to Inger - what a legend ! Thank you for a very special stay, we are so pleased we chose this hotel and will definately be back in the future - it is a great place to be at the end of a long day riding through New Mexico counrtyside.

Room Tip: Front rooms are lovely with the morning sun shining through on a chilly winter day.
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HHandR, Hotel St. Francis Front Desk at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to know Inger made your stay so special. We would like to welcome you back to enjoy a delightful day in the countryside of Santa Fe. Jarenda Ortiz
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The St. Francis is located in the heart of the Santa Fe plaza, sandwiched between restaurants and high-end hotels. The location itself is worth the stay (especially if you're on a budget but want a nice hotel stay). Parking is $9 a day, but worth the convenience considering how busy the area gets. We initially were placed in one of their regular rooms, which was teeny tiny. Normally we'd be fine with this because we've stayed in hotels in Europe which were equally small. However, we had lots of luggage and ended up upgrading to a deluxe suite for an additional $20 a night. It was over twice the size of the original room and included a mini-fridge, which was great to store snacks and drinks. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in! The room faced side streets, so it did get a little loud in the early morning with the garbage trucks, but it only lasted a few minutes. Front desk was manned by some very young looking kids, but they were professional. We found out that a small percentage of our stay went to the local mission, which was a nice thought. We didn't end up at the bar during our stay, but it was always packed in the evenings for happy hour and had great reviews.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HHandR, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Hello Bui101, thank you for choosing Hotel St Francis and for writing us a review about your stay. We're all very happy to hear you were able to upgrade to a more appropriate room for your needs; we are usually able to offer this type of upgrade depending on availability. Our beds are indeed amazingly comfortable and we are proud of our exemplary customer service, not to mention our "Cultural Cause" of supporting the rebuilding of the San Miguel Mission bell tower. Thank you very much for your feedback and we hope you come stay with us again the next time you're stopping through Santa Fe. Alder Seaman