“Wonderful Ambience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Aztec, New Mexico
“Wonderful Ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel is closely bound with the history of the city, and that is reflected in the historic pictures and artwork found throughout the property. Located just one block off the plaza, it is surrounded by cute little shops, wonderful dining, and of course, Spanish historic sites such as the Palace of the Governors and Catholic Churches. The rooms retain all the charm of "old Santa Fe" and yet have all the modern conveniences expected in a 4-star hotel. Down pillows on a very comfy bed, flat screen TV and available wi-fi are all fitted in with folk art coat racks of wood and wrought iron, an an antique secretariat converted to a TV cabinet and chest of drawers, and the original oak flooring. While some may think the rooms a bit small, one must remember that this hotel is over 200 years old and, at least for us, the smaller rooms just add to the charm of the place.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and it was a bit warm (even in January) but we opened the window and were...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Hotel St Francis when we visited Santa Fe because we found a Groupon for it. The location was awesome, right in the historic downtown area, surrounded by a lot of great shops and restaurants. The woman who checked us in at the front desk was very helpful and courteous, and promptly sent up the free bottle of wine that came with our Groupon deal! The rooms are a bit small but very well decorated and the linens were so soft. The historic hotel is decorated to resemble a monastery, and we felt like we were staying in a castle! We had a very special, romantic stay at the Hotel St. Francis

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We looked for pet friendly accommodations near the plaza in Santa Fe and found the Hotel Saint Francis to be a great value as well.

With these words, "I've always wanted to stay there," my husband made our reservation and started our delightful winter getaway.

Within walking distance of all the history near the plaza, Hotel Saint Francis was our refuge. We toured on foot and were within easy reach of shops, restaurants and beautiful sites of the city's cultural heritage.

Our efficient room only lacked for a little more storage. Our bed was glorious (NINE DOWN PILLOWS!). The staff and management were cordial and helpful. We had breakfast on our final morning at the hotel's restaurant, La Tabla. Seated near the gas fireplace, we were served by an attentive Eric and the breakfast met all our needs.

We will definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the selection to make sure it meets your needs.
new mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at many of the Santa Fe plaza hotels including La Posada, Inn of Loretto and Inn of the Governors. We've stayed at St. Francis about 4 times over the past 5-6 years but this was our first stay since the remodel. I peeked into the lobby last year and wasn't sure I Iiked the remode because on first impression it felt stark, cold and too monochrome. After staying a couple weeks ago for Christmas I have changed my mind and completely fallen in love with this hotel. The Lobby is tranquil and serene and we spent a lot of time by the fire admiring all of the beautiful details of the decorations. It kind of feels like being in a beautiful and peaceful Monastery. Both 2nd and 3rd floor landings have interesting photography displays. One thing that I didn't like about St. Francis before the remodel was the staff at reception were always a bit rude and snotty but on this stay they were all very welcoming and helpful. The standard rooms are very small but they have really improved them with the redecoration. The beds are super comfy and the linens are very nice. The furniture and other decor is unique and full of character. There is plenty of room in the armoire to hang, fold and put your clothes in drawers. The empty suitcases fit nicely on top of the armoire leaving floor space free. With a little creative planning I found an out of the way place for all our stuff (and we don't travel light). The room never felt cramped and with 2 good sized windows there was a lot of natural light and a great view over the town. There was a nice flat screen tv. The room was really hot for some reason but that was easily solved by opening a window and letting some fresh air in. The shower was great although it was kind of dark inside. The parking charge doesn't bother me at all because I have NEVER stayed in a downtown area of any city without paying a hotel parking charge and in many cities it is $20+ so I think St. Francis charging $10 is very reasonable. They also have free wifi and no resort fee like so many tourist city hotels are doing now. I also love the bar off the lobby. The cocktails are amazing and I would highly recommend the spicy secreto and smoked sage margarita. Santa Fe is full of unique and quirky hotels and I have enjoyed my stay at each and every one of them. They each have their good points and not so good points but I think I will be returning to St. Francis next time because I really liked everything about my stay and they really helped make our Christmas special and memorable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Hotel St. Francis was an excellent find for my families visit to Santa Fe this past weekend. The Staff were some of the most gracious we have ever encountered in all our travels . Alder at the Front Desk is so friendly she us feel right at home. The room we stayed in was charming with just enough space not to mention the super comfy beds. While the Restaurant and Bar looked like the place to be we opted for Appetizers in the Lobby while playing scrabble right by the Giant Fireplace. I give this place A+ and would highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HHandR, Hotel St. Francis Front Desk at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel St. Francis and taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to know that our staff and room exceeded your family's needs and made you feel at home. It is gratifying for us to hear that you got to spend quality time in front of the giant fireplace. We would love to welcome your family back to our hotel for an at home experience in a comfortable bed. Jarenda Ortiz
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hotel St.Francis was mentioned to us by our friends in our hometown.The hotel is in a great location in downtown santa fe parking is a little difficult cause you gotta pay for it.But the staff at the hotel is GREAT.My husband wrote a review for there Tabla restaurant thats a must try so is there bar secreto Jerry from tabla is so sweet and attentive and Greg makes the best drinks the best bartender we have come across.The rooms are small but cozy.The prices are very good.Our stay was great I have no complaints on the other hand my husband did on his review in the restaurant just that the other server Eric g was wearing a filthy apron and unshaved and interrepted my husband while on the phone but I would rate the hotel a 10 scale superb service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HHandR, Hotel St.Francis Front Desk at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take pride in our hotel, guest service, and food. We are honored to have exceeded your's and your husband's needs. We'd like to welcome you back to enjoy a cozy room and an excellent meal and beverage in Tabla de los Santos. Jarenda Ortiz
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Yes, the rooms are QUITE small, but I'm used to staying in European hotels, so this is
not that big of an issue for me.

Positives: Very friendly staff, excellent location, nice bar, comfortable bed, substantial
discounts (AARP, Government, etc.).

Negatives: Poor lighting--especially in vanity area. A rather peculiar smell around elevator
area in lobby (chlorine, perhaps).

As there are so many wonderful restaurants in Santa Fe, I did not dine in the hotel. Also, I did not have a car, so I cannot comment on the parking facility.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about room size, ask to see rooms available when you check-in.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
HHandR, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hello BistroSA; thank you for giving our hotel a review. We're pleased to hear you liked so many things about our hotel and staff. We pride ourselves on our customer service here, and also on our unbeatable location! We're happy that you appreciated the range of different room rate options as well. Next time you come to stay please know we do offer lamps for the rooms at no extra cost; sometimes the lights in the bathrooms are on dimmer switches due to the historic nature of our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again next time you are in Santa Fe.

Been to Hotel St. Francis? Share your experiences!