“A pleasant overnight stay in a charming period piece” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% Off Nidah Spa
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Owings Mills, Maryland
“A pleasant overnight stay in a charming period piece”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Eighteen consecutive years at the St. Francis, on the way from ABQ to Taos Ski Valley, have found the hotel to be comfortable, clean, courteously staffed, unpretentious, and all at a surpisingly reasonable cost,

The hotel was built in the early 20th century, but has continued to upgrade its facilities. The rooms are comfortably sized,, the attached bathroom fixtures have been upgraded,, but regretably, the old passenger elevator with a self-operated gate has been replaced with a new model.

The hotel is conveniently located near the town square,the palace of the Governors, the cathedral, and a number of good restaurants., all within a five minute walk.

A charming complimentary tea service with cookies and cakes, reminiscent of an older and more civilized era, is served every afternoon.

A real period piece, as opposed to some of the considerably higher priced extensively advertised other nearby hotels --in which I previously have stayed. I shall return to the St. Francis this February, on my way to my 24 th year of skiing Taos, and during my 77th year.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel, or the side over the hotel's parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I love and I love Santa fe , being a drug and alcohol counseler and my wife a probation officer we have seen the highest level of society and the lowest levels. We recently were recommended the Hotel st. Francis by our friends although we were warned about the small rooms which we didn't mind we were not prepared for walking to the front desk and the smell of alcohol wreaking from the breath of the pleasant young gentlemen with the kind blue eyes behind the front desk . Appearances can be deceiving. The young mans name tag said Baylen , other then the smell on his breath and the color of red in his eyes and the apparent disoriented movements I'm sure the stay would have been wonderful. We decided to come back and speak to the manager later on and the young lady name tag Jesse , same thing . Again I'm not sure wwhat kind of help this hotel hires but this was not where we chose to stay. First impressions and the first people you see are the front desk. If that is normal I don't even see how this hotel has guests .

• Stayed November 2011
HeritageHtls, Public Relations Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
Hello JVargas,

On behalf of our front office staff at the Hotel St. Francis, we are incredibly sorry to hear that you chose not to stay due to your perception of the staff. We take every positive and negative review very seriously, and we have taken this review to high alert.

Our front office manager, Kim Hirst, brought the review to our attention because of comments made on two specific employees. Heritage Hotels and Resorts, the parent company of Hotel St. Francis, has a Drug Free Workplace policy that maintains a work environment free from the effects of alcohol, drugs, or other intoxicating substances. We take pride in the hotel employees, and the negative comments towards the two employees are being reviewed. We are confirming your statements and reconciling them with your timeline of events.

Thank you for complimenting the location and cleanliness according to your review. We appreciate for understanding the small, quaint rooms at Hotel St. Francis as well.

Again, Ms. Hirst and I are reviewing your comments very seriously and in a detailed fashion; we continue to strive for excellence as a staff and as a hotel.

Thank you.
Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

My partner and I and our dog Angie arrived in Santa Fe on a road trip with no reservations and found the St Francis on a dog friendly website.

We enjoyed our stay very much, the service was excellent and the location is fantastic. The front desk staff went above and beyond in helping us with our dog, and Inger, the concierge, made the trip memorable with her restaurant recommendations. She steered us away from the tourist haunts and into several incredible meals, thank you Inger!

The hotel is in a historical building so the rooms can be quirky, but they are tastefully decorated. This is not your corporate cookie cutter hotel, it is a boutique accommodation. Our bathroom was small, our sink was in the bedroom, and the armoire to hang clothes in was tiny, but it was so charming, we loved it! The St Francis is a great choice for folks who would like the historical reference in the interior design and a bit of adventure.

We had a great experience at the St Francis!

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

We have been to Santa Fe many times and stayed mainly at La Fonda (which we also love). We walked past the St Francis and were drawn in by the ambiance and decor. It is very clean and peaceful. Understated in every way was just the escape we were looking for. We were going to try the restaurant after reviewing the menu (which looked very good) but the ambiance did not carry through there. The bar was cozy but the attention to detail in the restaurant seemed to have been lost along the way. No worries as there are plenty of wonderful restaurants in SF. The only other weird thing was the sink/mirror were in the room and not the bathroom - not convenient but not a deal breaker. Enjoy!

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I just can't leave a positive review for the Hotel St. Francis. I know that the size of the rooms has been discussed several times in other reviews so I will just say this- the traditional Queen room is NOT for two people. That's the bottom line. We had to pay for an upgrade the second night because it was to the point of claustaphobia. I have lived in NYC for years so I know what small rooms are-- I would be shocked if that was a Queen bed and not a full size bed. The sink is in the room which is fine but there is literally nowhere to change, to put your purse down, nothing. We had to take turns changing in the room and move out of the way to let the other person get by if they had to go to the bathroom which was just enough room to stand in. The faucet was broken on the sink and the doors wouldn't close to the bathroom. If you are going to stay in this hotel with more than just yourself, I highly suggest upgrading to the King room which was much nicer. The king room is actually a hotel room with a mini table, chairs, and a TV which is in front of the bed (the old room had an inexplicably huge armoire stuffed into the corner next to the bed so that no one could watch it anyway).
Onto other things about the hotel-- absolutely gorgeous lobby and a lovely bar called "Secreto Bar". I can't say enough about how pretty it is. Just go and hang out in the bar where they make excellent drinks (recommending the Hibiscus margarita) and appetizers. I did not get a chance to eat at La Tabla, the on-site restaurant, but heard it was very good.
As for the staff, it's a mixed bag. The people who clean the rooms were SO loud that we were up at 7am on a Sunday from carts being dragged by, vacuums ramming into the walls, and loud yelling back and forth to each other in the hallways. I know the building is old and creaky, but that certainly doesn't help matters. Also, for some reason a woman would mop the entire lobby down and the bathrooms at about 9 or 10 in the morning which would make it very hard to get in and out. I don't know why she could not do this a bit earlier before people were leaving for the day or checking out

Overall, yes this is a historic hotel so the rooms will be small and quaint, but this was completely beyond that. Please visit the Hotel St. Francis for a drink or to admire their lobby area, but be careful if you are booking a room there. The location is excellent and near the Santa Fe square, but so are a lot of other hotels with better value.

Room Tip: King Room on the 3rd floor so no one is above you
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
HeritageHtls, General Manager at Hotel St. Francis, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
We apologize that you experienced so many inconveniences during your recent stay at The hotel St. Francis. The property is truly historic and offers a wide variety of room sizes and options. The Hotel St Francis offers a quaint and historic setting for a one of a kind stay in Santa Fe, providing each guest with luxurious Frette linens, Comfortable beds, and an unbeatable location. In addition the service issues, and noise levels are unacceptable for our guests to experience and we will be addressing these issues with the appropriate staff members immediately. I thank you for taking the time to share both positive and negative experiences you had during your stay and we hope you will return to enjoy the truly wonderful experience that is the Hotel St. Francis.
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

This was the worst bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel. The door barely cleared the potty, there was no room for makeup except to close the potty and poor, poor lighting. The hotel is in a great location, but, other choices are available. Kay H

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
red banks wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Sure the room was small, but I was by myself and have stayed in older big city hotels before, and this was WAYYYY nicer. 14 foot ceilings, huge french opening windows, nice appointments in the room. The bathroom was great, large with new fixtures and quaint old checkered tiled floor, and the amenities and towels were top notch. The bed was one of the best I've had (and I include the Ritz Carlton's), and the sheets and pillows and comforter, etc. were pristine and smooth. My only recommendation would be to provide one bedside table lamp for reading purposes, and to put a brighter light in the bath mirror area. Also, it was chilly outside and I could feel a draft until I closed the insulated curtains, and that was fine. Also, the heat system was fine and kept the rooms comfy despite that. On the other hand, it was great to throw open the windows and let in the fresh and wood smoke tinged air.
The lobby was very calming with a beautiful old wood burning fireplace with comfy couches in front. Flat screen TV and free wireless internet service....excellent, and much appreciated.
Front desk service was friendly, helpful, and professional. Parking was limited at the hotel, but I did get a space, and they validate municipal parking. Walking distance to everything.
All in all, I felt I had a very charming, unique and pleasurable stay and it was worth the price for the experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel St. Francis? Share your experiences!